PDA

View Full Version : New lathe ideas

Michael Costa
05-14-2019, 8:05 PM
Hey everyone.

I bought my first and only lathe back in 2008. Its a Jet 12-20 which I outgrew in about a month. I'm looking to replace it with something bigger. Any ideas on the best bang for my buck. I have some ideas but would like input from the turning group.

I'd like to have a larger than 6" clearance, and something that won't shake and move around if I'm roughing odd shaped logs into blanks or turning something 1" off center.

Steve Eure
05-14-2019, 8:48 PM
It would help to know your budget. If your money is low, I'd start with CL to see if you could find a good used machine such as a Jet or larger Grizzly. If money isn't the object, then maybe a PM 3520, Robust, Laguna, Oneway, Vicmarc, etc. It all depends on what you want.

Chris Fairbanks
05-15-2019, 12:52 AM
I ❤️ My Grizzly G0800. I just wish it has the remote speed control and shutoff like some of the large lathes have.

Ted Baxter
05-15-2019, 8:20 AM
I have had the GO800 since 2016 and am very happy with it I would like to have a remote control & shutoff but the lathe is great

Roger Chandler
05-15-2019, 8:44 AM
Make that 3 in a row who have the G0800, and know it is a superb heavy duty beast of a lathe. Superb performance, 3 hp. Advanced induction motor/inverter combo, and ergonomic features. The remote pendant would be nice, but I get along fine the way it came from the factory. I have the bed extension that can be positioned in 3 different areas, allowing either 66” of distance between centers or in the lower position, which allows for around 40” turning off the end. I’m loving mine! :)

I also have the 22/42 G0766 3 hp lathe, and it has been superb for over 5 years....the best value on the market for a large lathe, and rivals any of the PM 3520b’s I have turned on in performance.

John K Jordan
05-15-2019, 9:43 AM
What do you like/want to turn and what's your budget? Many of us are extremely happy with used Powermatic 3520 lathes (20" swing, 10" from center to bed). I also have a couple of Jet 1642 lathes (16" swing) which are almost the same but cheaper and somewhat lighter weight but will still turn off-center nicely, especially with some ballast weight or if you bolt it to the floor or make a brace to let the shop wall provide support - an amazingly effective method for any lathe. (the speed also makes a big difference in the size and the amount of imbalance a given lathe can handle)

No upper limit to the budget or limits to what you want to turn? Plenty of options. You can turn even miniatures on a big, high-quality lathe. Once you use one you won't believe how you got on for so long without it.

JKJ

Hey everyone.

I bought my first and only lathe back in 2008. Its a Jet 12-20 which I outgrew in about a month. I'm looking to replace it with something bigger. Any ideas on the best bang for my buck. I have some ideas but would like input from the turning group.

I'd like to have a larger than 6" clearance, and something that won't shake and move around if I'm roughing odd shaped logs into blanks or turning something 1" off center.