PDA

View Full Version : electric heating coil on a flat roof? Ok to do??

Bob Weisner
12-10-2005, 4:26 PM
Hi:

Is it OK to put an electric roof heating coil on a flat roof to help keep ice from building up along the gutters?

Thanks,

Cecil Arnold
12-10-2005, 9:34 PM
Bob, is it rated for outside use and wet areas, especially where it could sit in a puddle? I would be nervous.

Larry James
12-10-2005, 9:47 PM
Don't think so. Roof de-icing cables are for approved for incline roofs only.

Check - http://www.easyheat.com

Bob Weisner
12-10-2005, 11:58 PM
The flat roof was installed in October of this year. We had some freeze and thaw days and now Winter has set in . The ice build up seems to be just around the gutters. The icicles are about 3 to 4 feet long. Very HEAVY!!!:eek: I thought about just opening the upstairs window and knocking the icicles off as best I could with a long board. I don't want to damage the roof or the Gutters. We were supposed to have the insulation blown in, in the first week of this month, but unbelievably, someone in the insulation company's office LOST THE CONTRACT!!!!, :mad: and they are supposedly going to push the start date for the insulation work back until FEBRUARY!!!!:mad: :mad:

Alan Turner
12-11-2005, 4:59 AM
We are now looking at some heating tape rated for a basically flat roof (tapered insulation) for around the roof drains. The tape is expensive, but the controllers (we will need two we are told) are nearly $1000 each. These are by Tyco. We will await the results of the first winter to see if we need to drop about 3K, plus the cost of the install, before pulling this trigger. The stuff we are looking at is for a commercial application. I am not the one doing this investigation, so can't comment on alternatives.