PDA

View Full Version : 20 inch band saw recommendations

Mark Woodmark
05-12-2019, 4:35 PM
I have a nine year old Agazzani B20 band saw that the motor went out on. The last time I searched for parts for it, they were very hard to find (yes I contacted Jesse at Eagle Tools). Because of this problem and the fact that I have had a few problems with this saw over the nine years, I am thinking about purchasing a new band saw. I have looked at a Tannewitz and a Felder. Any advice or recommendations? I cut mostly curves in THICK glue ups and larger circular shapes

Matt Day
05-12-2019, 4:41 PM
Mark,
Please email me at ******
Had a couple questions about your saw. Your PM’s are turned off.
Thanks

Patrick Walsh
05-12-2019, 4:47 PM
My vote..

David Kumm
05-12-2019, 5:01 PM
Is there a reason you just don't replace or rewind the motor? Are you looking to upgrade? The older Aggis had a little lighter trunnion but were considered top of the heap. The SCM/Centauro is about the only possible upgrade to your saw in that size. Dave

Mark Woodmark
05-12-2019, 5:27 PM
Not sure I will be able to find a motor. I think it may be a bearing

Edwin Santos
05-12-2019, 6:04 PM
My vote..

Shame on you, making your helper do the work while you're snapping photos. The saw must be 7x her body weight, certainly better for you than if it were the other way around!

BTW, I have the same saw, and second your recommendation.

Patrick Walsh
05-12-2019, 6:20 PM
obviously that was staged to be funny.

But that helper is actually my mother and my best friend.

She is the hardest worker I have ever met and shy’s away from no task regardless of ability fear you name it.

I owe everything I am to her, and oh it’s mother’s day. Here’s to moms everywhere the hardest workers of us all.

th
[QUOTE=Patrick Walsh;2926457]My vote..

/QUOTE]

Shame on you, making your helper do the work while you're snapping photos. The saw must be 7x her body weight, certainly better for you than if it were the other way around!

BTW, I have the same saw, and second your recommendation.

Jamie Buxton
05-12-2019, 7:39 PM
I've had nineteen years of good experience with my Laguna LT16HD. A buddy of mine has had almost as many years on an LT24. They're both built in Italy by ACM to Laguna's specs. If I were looking for a 20" saw, a LT20 would certainly be on my candidate list.

Jim Becker
05-12-2019, 7:55 PM
No secret that I'm a fan of SCM/MiniMax for bandsaws...give Sam Blasco a call and see what he can do for you.

Mark Woodmark
05-12-2019, 8:13 PM
For some reason I am unable to see these photos

Matt Day
05-12-2019, 8:26 PM
Members can’t view photos anymore due a rule change here. Become a contributor ($6/yr payable by PayPal or check) to get access. This supports the owners that provide this platform ad free.

David Kumm
05-12-2019, 8:46 PM
Motor should be a standard C face metric frame motor. Either a motor or a rewind should cost in the 500-700 range at worst. If it is a bearing issue, it will cost <100 plus some time to swap the motor bearings. Pull the motor and take it to a shop if you don't know how to deal with it. At least you will be making the decision with knowledge of the alternatives. Dave

John TenEyck
05-12-2019, 9:07 PM
What were your other problems? It doesn't seem like any of the saws mentioned as alternatives are much, if any, of a step up over Agazzani.

John

Alan Lightstone
05-12-2019, 9:17 PM
I'm pretty fond of my new Felder FB710.

Terry Therneau
05-12-2019, 9:36 PM
One the owwm site, Tannewitz is considered the top of the heap. If you are talking about one of those, then you won't do any better.

Patrick Walsh
05-12-2019, 9:40 PM
As David said.

Imop either problem is a easy fix. Well over spending $5k on a new machine. Plus you gotta get old machine out and new one in. By the time you do that I bet you can have your machine fixed.

John Lanciani
05-13-2019, 7:46 AM
As David said.

Imop either problem is a easy fix. Well over spending $5k on a new machine. Plus you gotta get old machine out and new one in. By the time you do that I bet you can have your machine fixed.

Not to mention that the saw as it sits isn't going to bring much money when sold.

Mike Wilkins
05-13-2019, 9:36 AM
Your best money saving alternative would be to contact the US machinery rep and find a replacement motor if that is what the problem is. If they don't have one they should be able to recommend a comparable replacement.
If you are set on replacing this machine, consider a Laguna LT series. I have had a LT18 since 2001 without a hiccup. Original motor too. Sweet machine.

Jeff Duncan
05-13-2019, 8:59 PM
Bearings are cheap and easy, probably cost you under $60 and take you a couple hours at worst.... unless your really mechanically un-inclined. In that case take it to a motor shop and likely still be under $100 to replace bearings.

All machines, even the best of the best, require some maintenance now and then. Bearings are one of those things it's good to be able to do yourself;)

good luck,
JeffD

Jeff Duncan
05-13-2019, 9:00 PM
Members can’t view photos anymore due a rule change here. Become a contributor ($6/yr payable by PayPal or check) to get access. This supports the owners that provide this platform ad free.

Yeah I noticed that as well.... kind of a bummer. Can't we just have ads instead of yet another bill:(

Patrick Walsh
05-13-2019, 9:45 PM
Can’t agree more with Jeff,

I’ve had a well equipped shop of my own for maybe five years now. I’ve worked in a cabinet shop now full time for 2 going on 3 years.

When i first started building my personal shop I didn’t know my front from my rear, my top from my bottom regarding machine setup and maintenance. It was hugely intimidating to not only setup and tune machines never mind repair them. I often opted to pay someone to do it for me a i was scared of my own shadow with regard to it all.

Now working with machines day in day out much of that fear is gone. It has become apparent to me as I become more competent using the machines to build things how it is one goes about tuning them. It has also lent itself to show me that most machines are actually very very simple minus say machines with electric everything and miles of wires.

That’s a nice saw you have. I think it deserves to just be fixed. I’m sure many around here can help walk you through the repair if you are unsure. That is unless you know your not at all mechanically inclined.i just can’t see how someone whom can build anything out of wood can’t figure out how to tear down a machine or a car or whatever but I guess it does happen.

If nothing else take the motor and or whatever part need be to the appropriate repair person to deal with it. My larger point is use this as a opportunity to get to know your equipment.