PDA

View Full Version : Makita RT0701CX7 compact router kit vs DeWalt 611 pk - anyone use both?

Rich Engelhardt
05-11-2019, 5:05 AM
I have the DeWalt 611 PK and love it!
I seldom, if ever, just use the fixed base.
I really prefer to use the plunge base.

Lat Christmas, I bought myself a Makita cordless tool set. It came with two additional free tools (along with a drill.impact driver and circular saw) - I got the cordless compact router - fixed base and cordless oscillating tool ( I take back everything I said about the Harbor Freight tool being "good enough".....once you use a decent tool like the Makita is - you know why the better ones are priced the way they are)..

Anyhow - I really like the cordless router, but, I want to pick up a plunge base for it.

Is anyone using the Makita compact with a plunge base?
Corded or cordless, it doesn't matter - it's pretty much the same router - except people that have both versions say the cordless is actually more powerful.

Wojciech Tryc
05-11-2019, 6:41 AM
Hi,
i have a cordless kit, my version doesn’t have batteries/charger but dust collection pieces instead. Also, I have a rail guide so I can use my festool track with it. Btw, that rail guide will also accept Bosch 1617, which is great.

Steve Eure
05-11-2019, 7:05 AM
I have the corded version and love it. I've only used it with the plunge base. It is nice and compact, but the lever that holds the router in plunge doesn't stay locked down very well. I have to either hold pressure on it or push down rather hard to keep it from releasing. Others have had that same issue. Other than that, it's a nice setup.

Carl Beckett
05-11-2019, 7:11 AM
I have the Makita LXT with a plunge base. I do use it more often with the regular base so you know what it is like with that on it.

The plunge base is well built the same as the rest of the tool. I cleaned up all the threads on the depth stops so they would run a little smoother (not required but I like them to feel smooth). The base of the plunge is a larger footprint than the regular base so takes a little more surface area to support. The depth lock is a lever that you can reach with a thumb, but I tend to pause and use my hand, it take a bit of force to get it locked in and I dont want it slipping.

Note if you are doing template work the plunge base does not come with a template adapter (you need to purchase that separately, so it then takes standard router template guides)

Not sure what else I can add. I like the router. I like the plunge base (it is well designed and well built).

Osvaldo Cristo
05-11-2019, 8:32 AM
I have the corded version kit including four different bases and the plunge one is my most used one. I found it precise and comfortable to use so more and more it has been used instead of my Bosch GFF 1600CE power horse.

The dust collection is pretty decent and it is fully compatible with Makita template sleeve set but, as mentioned previously, you will need and adaptor if you want to use Porter Cable ones.

Overall I am plenty glad with this router replacing my years used Porter Cable 690 as my light duty router.

Rich Engelhardt
05-13-2019, 9:05 AM
Also, I have a rail guide so I can use my festool track with it. I've read comments online about the Makita rail guide needing the plunge base for the compact router(s) to be able to used with it.
Also, since it fits the Festool track does it also fit the Makita track? (not that it makes a lot of difference since I have both.)

Wojciech Tryc
05-13-2019, 9:52 AM
I've read comments online about the Makita rail guide needing the plunge base for the compact router(s) to be able to use with it.
Also, since it fits the Festool track does it also fit the Makita track? (not that it makes a lot of difference since I have both.)
Yes, you need a plunge base, and yes it will also fit Makita's track as well. The small mod will also allow for LR32 operation with Festool LR32 track...