PDA

View Full Version : Wood Slab ID

Jon Potts
05-10-2019, 10:34 PM
hello All,
Pretty new to this forum so someone let me know if I have this in the wrong spot. Im looking for a large slab of wood to do a river table with and I found and add on craigslist. But the seller does not know the species. It seems like a more then reasonable price for this piece of wood regardless of what type it is. Let me know what you think and if it looks like a good piece of wood!

~Jon

Dan Hahr
05-10-2019, 11:45 PM
Looks like walnut to me.
Dan

Bill Dufour
05-11-2019, 12:11 AM
what country are you located in?

Jon Potts
05-11-2019, 2:05 PM
Thanks Dan, that's what I was thinking.
Bill, I live in Washington state.

John C Bush
05-12-2019, 11:10 PM
If it came from the Wenatchee area it could be English walnut. There are/were walnut orchards in that area that had English walnut grafted to black walnut root stock. Friends have a bandsaw mill near Lake Wenatchee and got several black and English walnut logs after the big fire there three?? years ago. If you are in the Seattle area check out Wild Edge mill in Oso- East of Arlington ~~15 mi. Huge selection of slabs and very reasonable. PM me if you want more info.

Tom Bender
05-21-2019, 6:45 PM
Looks pretty thin for a slab table. You'll need to provide some structure under it. Might be a tropical wood, need a better picture including a closeup of the end grain.