PDA

View Full Version : Small power feeder - need advice

Mike Tempel
12-10-2005, 11:29 AM
I am interested in adding a power feeder to my Jet 1 1/2HP shaper. Cost is unfortunately an issue and I am at best a hobbyist WW who doesn't get a lot of shop time so I don't want to break the bank. Also, I don't use my shaper on a daily basis by any means. However, I would like to get something worth the money I am willing to part with.
My options to date were all found on Amazon and they are as follows:
Delta 36-850 1/4HP for $480
Delta 36-865 1/8HP for $250
Grizzly G4176 1/4HP for $410
Grizzly G4173 1/8HP for $260

I believe that at least the Delta's have a free shipping offer and there is a base attachment that will bolt on to the shaper negating the need for drilling and tapping the top (which I am not entirely thrilled with) for the Delta's as well. I also saw a thread here to save $50 on a purchase thru Amazon which would cover the cost of said base.
All in all I am kinda interested in the smaller Delta as I am hopeful that it will suit my needs but since I know absolutely nothing on power feeders I thought I would ask for some advice from my friends here at the 'Creek.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. Mike

tod evans
12-10-2005, 11:34 AM
mike, both units are made by co-matic, just different paint. i would suggest the largest you can afford, (i didn`t look at the models you listed) powermatic, sunhill, and lots of others all sell the exact same units in the appropriate colors. .02 tod

Doug Jones from Oregon
12-10-2005, 1:28 PM
If I was looking for a feeder on a shaper, I would be looking in at least the 1hp range and would not go to a clamp on model...

The reason I feel this way is that I would be running some pretty large cutters and taking some pretty serious amounts of wood away in the form of sawdust and that takes lots of heavy pressure and push...watch for a used one if you have the time, auctions are good sources for power feeds in good shape.

Doug