PDA

View Full Version : Garage in the winter....

Dennis Peacock
12-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Not to steal the thread started by Peter about heating his garage during the holidays, struck a note in my brain about when I was building my house in Alabama. So here we go........

When I built my house in Alabama? I insulated EVERYTHING, including interior walls, garage, and garage door. In January, I could heat my 20' by 20' garage, errrrrrr, shop with a single small ceramic heater plugged in 1 hour before going out in the "shop". It was great..!!!! I just don't see why folks don't treat the garage when constructing as part of the house living spaces. Cost me $75 more for insulation and an additional $600 for the double-walled, insulated steel garage door. Yea...It was a total of $675 more for construction costs of the house, but that was nothing for gaining the overall benefit over the years. :D

At least I did one "good" thing in my life time. Sure wish I had that garage here in Arkysaw......:rolleyes: ;)

tod evans
12-10-2005, 10:17 AM
Sure wish I had that garage here in Arkysaw......:rolleyes: ;)[/quote] garage?whatizit?:)

Roy Wall
12-10-2005, 10:28 AM
Good points Dennis,

My garage is insulated throughout witht the Insulated Garage Doors...
I just don't have the heater yet:eek: :confused:

It's really not to bad if it's 35-40* outside (stays around 50-55* inside) .....but this bone chilling week keeps it around 35-40* on the inside of the garage for now!

I may have to get that heater!

Dennis Peacock
12-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Sure wish I had that garage here in Arkysaw......:rolleyes: ;) garage?whatizit?:)[/QUOTE]

Ok Tod.....whur you iz low-kay-tid...????? I know...Ozarks....but whur in them Ozarks?:confused: :D

tod evans
12-10-2005, 11:14 AM
mawtin hom. :)

Dennis Peacock
12-10-2005, 11:15 AM
HEY!!!!! Been there and really like that area......

I'll hafta come up yor way fer a visit some time. ;)

tod evans
12-10-2005, 11:18 AM
come on you`re more than welcome. i`m usually in the shop beating my fingers every day. shoot me a note and i`ll give you durektuns:) tod

Jim Becker
12-10-2005, 1:39 PM
In my previous home, I wanted to do that, but the builder wouldn't cooperate. I did sneak in some insulation in an area that would be impossible, err...really difficult...to deal with after the fact, but otherwise, had to wait until after the home was built. Unfortunately, the rockers also rocked the un-insulated areas, resulting in the need to rip it all out when I turned it into what at the time was called "my shop"... ;)

But I agree with your premise...consider future advantages of making garage areas weather tight and insulated early. It's cheaper then, too.

Peter Stahl
12-10-2005, 10:13 PM
Not to steal the thread started by Peter about heating his garage during the holidays, struck a note in my brain about when I was building my house in Alabama. So here we go........

When I built my house in Alabama? I insulated EVERYTHING, including interior walls, garage, and garage door. In January, I could heat my 20' by 20' garage, errrrrrr, shop with a single small ceramic heater plugged in 1 hour before going out in the "shop". It was great..!!!! I just don't see why folks don't treat the garage when constructing as part of the house living spaces. Cost me $75 more for insulation and an additional $600 for the double-walled, insulated steel garage door. Yea...It was a total of $675 more for construction costs of the house, but that was nothing for gaining the overall benefit over the years. :D

At least I did one "good" thing in my life time. Sure wish I had that garage here in Arkysaw......:rolleyes: ;)

Dennis, That's one thing I never thought about when my house was built. It's part of a development so the option list wasn't that big and didn't think to ask. Guess if I bought in the winter I would have. There are lots of things you think that you should have do after it's built.

Don Baer
12-10-2005, 11:47 PM
I'm in the process of building a new house in the Phoenix area and insulation is definattly a priority. both for summer and winter. With summer temps topping 110* and winter temps at night falling below 30* I definitly plan on having the builder insulate the walls and ceiling on my future garage/shop and plan on the insulated garage door. Just comon sense.