PDA

View Full Version : 3 Cornered Lidded Box

Roger Chandler
05-08-2019, 5:12 PM

More front on View.....

409541 This walnut box is 8" wide x 7.5" tall to the tip of the knob.

Comments always welcome!

Dave Fritz
05-09-2019, 7:23 AM
I'm working one some four cornered plates and now really appreciate your craft. It's quite a challenge to keep those sides the same and the corners crisp. Very nice choice of wood and excellent technique. Well done.

Mike Walsh
05-09-2019, 12:39 PM
maybe a dumb question, but what shape do you start with to get the finished 3 corner turning?

Roger Chandler
05-09-2019, 1:10 PM
maybe a dumb question, but what shape do you start with to get the finished 3 corner turning?
Start with a cube

Brice Rogers
05-09-2019, 9:04 PM
Mike Walsh, To add to what Roger said (BTW, Rogers, that's a great looking piece !!)

For a 3 cornered box, you hold the cube by the ends or apex. There are a few Youtube videos.

I made one (it looks pathetic compared to Roger's) and I initially held it in the headstock by putting the point into the MT2 hole in the spindle. I held the other end with a live center with the point removed. So, it was held by friction. Then I took light cuts while creating a mortise or tenon. Then I reversed it and created another mortise or tenon and "let the chips fly" :)

Brian Tymchak
05-09-2019, 10:10 PM
Another gorgeous piece Roger! Congrats!

Roger Chandler
05-09-2019, 10:36 PM
I'm working one some four cornered plates and now really appreciate your craft. It's quite a challenge to keep those sides the same and the corners crisp. Very nice choice of wood and excellent technique. Well done.

Thank you Dave!

Roger Chandler
05-09-2019, 10:37 PM
Mike Walsh, To add to what Roger said (BTW, Rogers, that's a great looking piece !!)

For a 3 cornered box, you hold the cube by the ends or apex. There are a few Youtube videos.

I made one (it looks pathetic compared to Roger's) and I initially held it in the headstock by putting the point into the MT2 hole in the spindle. I held the other end with a live center with the point removed. So, it was held by friction. Then I took light cuts while creating a mortise or tenon. Then I reversed it and created another mortise or tenon and "let the chips fly" :)

Bruce..........you should post some of your work. Thanks for your kind sentiments...they are gracious and most appreciated!

Roger Chandler
05-09-2019, 10:38 PM
Another gorgeous piece Roger! Congrats!

Thank you sir! :)

Mike Walsh
05-10-2019, 1:22 PM
thanks, and very nice work!