PDA

View Full Version : $1 axe, from a garage sale...

steven c newman
05-07-2019, 2:59 PM
Was among a couple other "treasures" on the day....picked up a new handle for it, today..
Old handle had more cracks than a city sidewalk...new handle was from the Blue Borg here in town ( was there, buying a new mower..)
Hmmm...there is traces of blue paint on the axe head...so, after maybe an hour total in the Rehab Shop..
new handle has been fitted and wedged...and trimmed. Head has been cleaned up....burrs have been ground down...old handle is headed for the fire pit...
Might be a decent axe? Still needs a GOOD sharpening.....cleaned up steel has a coat of 3in1 oil rubbed on it...may clean off the labels on the handle?
Depending on the price of the handle....not too bad of a find?

Scott Winners
05-07-2019, 3:16 PM
For a buck and 15 for the handle and two hours, yup, good find.

Do you have any trouble with grain runout on footed handles like that? My arthritis doctor took away my chainsaw a couple or three years ago, but she didn't say I couldn't swing an axe. So I am learning about axes. Wished I had paid more attention when my grandpa was talking about axes.

Andrew Pitonyak
05-07-2019, 3:33 PM
For a buck and 15 for the handle and two hours, yup, good find.

Do you have any trouble with grain runout on footed handles like that? My arthritis doctor took away my chainsaw a couple or three years ago, but she didn't say I couldn't swing an axe. So I am learning about axes. Wished I had paid more attention when my grandpa was talking about axes.

This might be useful. An Ax to Grind, A Practical Ax Manual put out by the US Forestry Service. useful!

This is the HTML version

https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/htmlpubs/htm99232823/toc.htm

And this is the PDF version

https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/pdfpubs/pdf99232823/pdf99232823Pdpi300.pdf

steven c newman
05-09-2019, 12:59 PM
Axe appears to be made by Collins,,,and is a Dayton pattern? Edge needs honed, is all....has a wire edge.

Richard Jones
05-10-2019, 6:33 AM
Steven, several guys that use axes for a living hang out at bushcraftusa . check under 'edged tools'.

lowell holmes
05-10-2019, 11:24 AM
Showoff :)

steven c newman
05-12-2019, 2:23 PM
And...I turned down 3 others the other day....because they were Michigan pattern ones....meh...Spent the money on other things, at that Barn Sale....