PDA

View Full Version : after market back up cameras?

jared herbert
05-06-2019, 10:04 AM
My wife has a 2013 Subaru outback, a real nice car we both like it a lot. Shortly after that model year they all came with the backup camera built in. She would really like a back up camera as she is of short stature and cant really see that well out of the back of the car. Just wondering if anyone has experience with installing and using a wireless backup camera. I looked on Amazon and they have a lot of different ones available. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Jared

Joe Bradshaw
05-06-2019, 2:16 PM
Jared, shoot me a private message. I have a new one that I bought for my GF's car. It was never installed. It's yours if you want it.
Joe

John K Jordan
05-06-2019, 7:47 PM
My wife has a 2013 Subaru outback, a real nice car we both like it a lot. Shortly after that model year they all came with the backup camera built in. She would really like a back up camera as she is of short stature and cant really see that well out of the back of the car. Just wondering if anyone has experience with installing and using a wireless backup camera. I looked on Amazon and they have a lot of different ones available. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Jared

I haven't used one as a backup camera but I use one as a wireless monitor for keeping an eye on the llamas in a trailer. Installation was simple: provide 12v supply in the front and connect the camera to power in the back. I used the tail light power which was passed to the trailer, in my case.

I don't know one brand from another but can recommend one thing: for back-up use don't get one with a monitor that is too small. Mounting a larger monitor may be challenging in many cars but might be worth it. My wife and I both have backup cameras on our cars. Mine has a larger screen and is far easier to interpret, especially in rain or when the sun on the lens.

JKJ

roger wiegand
05-06-2019, 7:54 PM
Rearview Safety has quite an array of products of high quality and decent support. I installed a wired three camera system for truck bumper, truck camper, and back of organ trailer that has worked very well for me. I was impressed at the quality and robustness of their cabling and connectors. (too far and too much metal in the camper and trailer for a wireless system to work well). In a car a wireless system is probably fine, and easier.

Jim Allen
05-08-2019, 5:41 PM
I installed 2 on my 2007 Ford Ranger, the first one was crap, from a company Named Pyleaudio. Not recommended! I don't recall the second brand name, bought it at a NAPA Auto Parts, and it worked great.

GLENN BRADDY
05-08-2019, 6:00 PM
I do a lot of work with Emergency Vehicles and Reverse Cameras for them. If you go that route let me know.

Frank Pratt
05-08-2019, 9:05 PM
I do a lot of work with Emergency Vehicles and Reverse Cameras for them. If you go that route let me know.

I Googled 'Emergency Vehicles and Reverse Cameras' and 'Emergency Vehicles' and 'Reverse Cameras' but none of the searched came up with a specific brand. Care to share more information? I'm looking to equip some of the work trucks with camera systems.