PDA

View Full Version : Period Furniture Makers

Phil Mueller
05-05-2019, 7:08 PM
I had the opportunity to visit the American Society of Period Furniture Makers event at the Detroit Institute of Arts today. It was a pleasure meeting fellow creeker Mike Holden who was nice enough to give me a hands on lesson. Thanks again Mike! Really appreciate it. You’ve inspired me to dust off the few rounds I have and give them another go. And by the way, I forgot to mention that the spice box you had on display is stunning.

I also had the opportunity to reintroduce myself to Ed Stuckey. Ed lives in Detroit and I had met him years ago and had the opportunity to see some of his work in his home and get a tour of his workshop. His talent/work is second to none. One of the pieces he had on display was this table:

It’s a good photo, but way more amazing in person. Truly beautiful piece.

Marco Terenzi was also there with a full display of his miniature tools. His wood and metal craftsmanship was amazing. Every last detail exact, and all fully working tools. His miniature #62 took a perfect full and thin shaving.

All in all a very enjoyable event.

Frederick Skelly
05-05-2019, 7:18 PM
That table is just breathtaking!

Bob Lang
05-06-2019, 10:27 AM
Just a minor correction, the organization is the Society of American Period Furniture Makers aka SAPFM. It's a great organization with chapters around the country. One of the benefits of membership is the annual journal American Period Furniture, which I edit.

Bob Lang

Phil Mueller
05-06-2019, 1:34 PM
Thanks Bob for the correction.

Jeff Bartley
05-07-2019, 7:52 AM
Wow, that table! Inlay work like that has always intimidated me. Phil, was Ed's shop largely hand tool centric or power or both? Modern fancy or old industrial?

Side note to Bob Lang: thank you for your article long ago showcasing the three-toed dragon stool. I built a varient of that stool and sit on it everyday!

Bob Lang
05-07-2019, 9:36 AM
Thanks for the kind words Jeff. That stool is nearly indestructible, even when it's just knocked together, and a lot of fun to build.

Bob Lang

mike holden
05-07-2019, 11:07 AM
Phil,
Thank you for the kind words, it was a pleasure meeting you as well.
Here are a few more pics from the event:
The calm before the storm
Steve Lash (on right) showed a clock and silverware boxes. Steve is a Cartouche winner.
Marco Terenzi miniatures (exquisite)
more from Marco
A work in progress by Ed Stuckey

Continues on next message

mike holden
05-07-2019, 11:13 AM
Continued...

Ben Brung demonstrated the springpole lathe

Marco Terenzi

Jim Crammond (seated), Ben Brung, and Andrew Messimer and showing how the back and arms of a windsor chair are made

Marco demonstrating the use of his block plane on alaskan cedar

Thanks for watching,
Mike

Jeff Bartley
05-07-2019, 12:01 PM
That looks like a really fun event! Thanks for sharing photos.