PDA

View Full Version : Gloat about the wood in recent postings

Earl Eyre
12-10-2005, 1:19 AM
Thanks for the nice comments about my recent postings of of a couple turnings from Oregon Myrtle and a confetti lamp from maple. I should brag a little. I was at the beach in Brookings, OR this summer and saw an ad in the local paper for some wood for sale. Checked it out. He had a small saw mill and had cut some nice dimensional lumber from myrtle and maple. He was moving and selling the lumber. I saw the big chunks of root and burls. He said, "Oh that's just the crotches left from cutting the boards." I asked what he wanted and he said $1.00 a piece. It took two of us to load up two of the myrtle spalted roots--maybe 2'across, 1 piece of maple-same size, and he said I could just have the big piece of Monkeypod. Total: $3.00 and filled half the pick-up. He just had them laying out in scrap pile and rain, thus the spalting. Barely had room to hook up the 5th wheel.

Earl

Dick Parr
12-10-2005, 8:42 AM
Now that is the way to travel Earl.:D Very nice score..;)

Chris Barton
12-10-2005, 8:54 AM
WHY does this kind of thing NEVER happen to me????

John Hart
12-10-2005, 8:59 AM
That's the kind a thing that just gives you more hope in the world....$3.00 for a jackpot?!!!!. I think I'll drive around today and see if it happens to me!!! :)