PDA

View Full Version : Router base plate problems

Jim Dunn
12-10-2005, 1:17 AM
I just finished rabbitting an edge around a piece of plywood for a cabinet back I'm building. I used an offset router base as I like the feel of it resting in a larger surface than the normal round base plate. I first ripped a line 1/4" in from the edge surface and 1/4" deep so the router wouldn't tear out so bad. Look what happened to my router base:eek::eek: I don't think it's hurt in the least but, how or why would this happen:confused: The base is your standard run of the mill plate purchased at a WW store. I was using a Porter Cable 690vs and was running it at about 1/2 speed (#2 on the speed wheel) as the bit I am using was quite large in diameter.

I'm just looking for any suggestions as to how to avoid this in the future:rolleyes: if I can.

Jim

John Lucas
12-10-2005, 1:43 AM
Jim,
It is hard for me to tell from the pictures, but the diameter of the bit is quite close to the ID of the base. A mortising bit throws out a lot of chips. Even though you were taking short bites, it looks like it wanted more time to get rid of the dust. Only thing I can sugest is to take even less cuts at a time. You might want to travel a couple of inches and then back it a bit slowly...this might help keep the chips from accumulating. isten to the cutting action. Also, if there is a way to mount dust extraction, do so.

Mike Tempel
12-10-2005, 7:07 AM
Looking forward to some info on this one as I have noticed the same thing on my after market sub base for my PC690 as well. I thought I just had some bad luck and had gotten a lemon of a base with some sort of plastic softness problem.

Jim Dunn
12-10-2005, 10:29 AM
John, I was taking 1/8 at first, but the plywood wasn't stable enough to leave 1/8" behind and began to chip off. Finished the first edge the reset the unit to cut 1/4" and finished all the cuts. This happened during a climb cut of 1/8" on the first pass. A dust catcher is on the XMAS list for the router.:)

Mike, I too thought/think I have a softer plastic base when compared to the original 690 base.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Jim

tod evans
12-10-2005, 10:49 AM
jim, i make subbases out of baltic. some folks use phenolic which is better but i`m cheap! .02 tod

Jim Dunn
12-10-2005, 10:54 AM
Good idea! I like the baltic and MDF for fixtures and such. My problem I'm an old ex machinist. First thing I put in my pocket is my 6" thousands scale. Talk fractions to me and I go to the chart for the conversion.

pat warner
12-15-2005, 9:02 PM
I'm just looking for any suggestions as to how to avoid this in the future:rolleyes: if I can.

Jim
Material is crazing from deflection.
Tough to keep thinner subbases from bending when there is too little support. Add support or use a thicker plate.

Routers (http://www.patwarner.com)