PDA

View Full Version : Hammer A3-Combo (26/31/41) Parallel Adjustment of Planer

Ryan Lloyd
05-05-2019, 12:10 AM
Hello folks,

Many users seem to be happy with their Hammer combination jointer-planers straight off the truck and thereafter, but where an issue does exist I am interested in the adjustment procedures. There has been much written regarding flattening the jointer beds and setting them coplanar, however I am unaware of any discussion about adjusting the planer bed to ensure it is parallel with the cutter. I presume the bolts connecting the single support-column with the planer table would need to be shimmed, but I would appreciate feedback from anyone who is familiar with the procedure.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Ryan Lloyd

Rod Sheridan
05-05-2019, 1:51 AM
Hi, they're not shimmed, they're adjusted for parallel using a dial indicator or gauge block referenced off the cutter head..........Rod.

Edwin Santos
05-05-2019, 12:37 PM
Hi,

You will find some useful information below in a thread I started. With the help of others including Rod Sheridan, I was able to adjust my planer bed to be parallel to the cutter and eliminate snipe completely. There are some who say snipe is nature of the beast with a planer, but not so, at least with this particular machine. In addition to height, pay attention to spring tension. Someone posted a video link in the thread that was very helpful.
For me it was an iterative adjustment process but didn't take obnoxiously long.
Also, I've called Felder's support in Delaware and had good experience with their techs, if you choose to go that route.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?271424-Hammer-A3-31-Help-me-eliminate-snipe&highlight=

Hoping you find this useful,
Edwin

Ryan Lloyd
05-13-2019, 7:39 PM
Thank you, Rod and Edwin.

Edwin: drawing my attention to your thread was especially enlightening. Cheers.

Regards,
Ryan