PDA

View Full Version : Removing tape measure from Table Saw

Don Frambach
12-09-2005, 11:48 PM
Boy am I a dummy! I buggered up the tape on my new Biesemeyer clone table saw fence. The tape is there but I ran the fence over it improperly adjusted so the numbers have been partially worn off.

Bought a tape replacement. Wondering if there is any trick to removing the old tape. I suspect scraping it off will be a real mess.

TIA for any suggestions.

Don Frambach

Steven J Corpstein
12-10-2005, 12:01 AM
I'm not sure about your rail, but I have a General saw with a Biesemeyer clone and it appears to be glued on with adhesive film. I've had really good luck using 3M Adhesive Remover on lots of stuff. I've used it on new automotive paint due to a recommendation from the body shop, gotten tar off of upholstering, etc.

Just try a bit of it on the underside first with a white paper towel and see if it attacks the paint. I'd try a hair dryer first to see if you can get the tape of first, leaving just the adhesive film. Don't hurry with the heat gun.

I completely removed all of the door molding, emblems and decals from a brand new black Chevy truck that way and didn't harm a thing.

Good luck.

Rick Shelton
12-10-2005, 12:29 AM
Just pull it off and clean up any glue residue with a little denatured alcohol. Just that simple.

Bruce Page
12-10-2005, 12:49 AM
You might try a hair dryer to soften the tape adhesive. It should pull right off.

Howard Barlow
12-10-2005, 1:12 AM
Don't hurry with the heat gun.

Could that cause the finish on the rail to soften or blister, if you moved too slowly?

Brian Hale
12-10-2005, 6:11 AM
Couldn't you just stick the new one on top of the old one? There should be enough room.

If not, peel a corner up with a chisel, squirt some alcohol under it and peel.

Brian :)

Jim Becker
12-10-2005, 2:11 PM
When I replaced the original tape on my X-Acta fence, the old one peeled off quite easily once I got a little bit raised. You might try working a little alcohol or "goo-gone" under the edge if it's stubborn.

Dan Forman
12-11-2005, 5:01 AM
Naptha is usually good for removing tape residue.

Dan

Anthony Anderson
12-11-2005, 8:48 AM
Use a heat gun to soften the adhesive as Bruce suggested. Peel off the tape. Then use some lacquer thinner with a piece of red scotch brite to remove the remainder of the adhesive. Put the heat gun away and DO NOT try to use it around the thinner (think fire safety). The finish on the fence and rail should be a baked on powder coat or urethane and the thinner should not affect the finish. Try an inconspicuous place first. Bill

Kelly C. Hanna
12-11-2005, 9:18 AM
Just pull it up....all of them will come off without incident once you get a corner up. No need to heat it at all. Neither of my two saws has a tape since I prefer to measure it myself anyway. I use Goo Gone as well...works like a charm.

Joe Scarfo
12-12-2005, 7:31 PM
I've had mine off and back on a few times.....

They pull up easily. Surprisingly enough, mine is more like a thin metal than paper or cloth. I was surprised the first time I pulled it up.

Joe

Anthony Anderson
12-12-2005, 8:48 PM
If you are going to replace it anyway, apply some heat. It will make the adhesive release much easier. Wipe off any left over adhesive off with laquer thinner. Works well. Sorry, I think I repeated myself. Or you could just cover it (the old tape) and just use a tape measure or a yard stick each time you set up your fence. :eek: Later, Bill

CPeter James
12-12-2005, 8:59 PM
Alcohol will work better on the glue than lacquer thinner.

CPeter

Corey Hallagan
12-12-2005, 10:49 PM
Another vote for goo-gone. Great stuff!

Corey