PDA

View Full Version : LT14 SUV bandsaw adjustment: Completely over my head

David Utterback
05-04-2019, 11:09 AM
After reading the recent post on bandsaw blade tracking, I ran some test cuts with my LT14SUV. I have never been happy with its performance which results in a lot of burning with cherry. So sure enough, the blade was not centered in the kerf.

My first adjustment was to set the table miter gauge slots parallel to the blade and move them a bit forward to center the blade in the kerf. I loosened the blots holding the top to the trunions which allowed a little bit of movement. When all was re-tightened, the blade was still not centered in the kerf.

Next, I adjusted the bolts that hold the trunnion to the frame. These were not fully tightened, so I snugged them up and re-adjusted the table square to the blade. No benefit with that change either. In this process, I found the table insert is bent and will likely need replacing.

That led me to check tightness on other bolts including the ones that fit the blade guide to the saw body. These were not fully tightened so I snugged them up. That was a HUGE mistake!!! The blade guide was then fully out of adjustment and it took me forever to get it back to the proper setting. There are 4 set screws on the outside that permit alignment. An additional 2 set screws are inside the guide block on the left hand side. None of these is shown in the operation manual and it is for good reason. These are factory set and should not need any adjustment.

By trial and error, I have finally adjusted the blade guide back to plumb with the blade. I still have not centered the blade in the kerf even after adjusting the fence as directed by the manual. I am back at my starting point. We will see what kind of damage I can do today after I clean the blades. :confused:

Joe Hendershott
05-04-2019, 1:16 PM
That's got to be frustrating. Two days ago I received by Laguna 14 BX. It took about an hour to set it up and really was effortless. I followed the Laguna videos for the 1412 since a lot is similar. Those videos nicely went step by step and when I followed them I had perfect results. The first 10 inch board was resawn and I was able to get a nearly perfect 3/32 piece of veneer that was off end to end by .001". Have a look at those videos if you have not already- they might make the steps clearer.