PDA

View Full Version : What brand of chisels is Philip C. Lowe using?

Mike Brady
05-03-2019, 12:20 PM
I have been watching the amazing hand tool skills of Phil Lowe in some instructional videos made available by one of the woodworking magazines. He uses a set of tang chisels that look very rubust and possibly commercially available. Does anyone know what brand they are? I'm thinking they might be A. Isles, but with user-made handles.

Robert LaPlaca
05-03-2019, 12:57 PM
Mike why don’t you ask Phil himself, he runs the Furniture Institute of Massachusetts, his contact information is here http://furnituremakingclasses.com/contact

Phil is a super talented guy, I have no affiliation with the school.

glenn bradley
05-03-2019, 1:15 PM
It is just freaky watching Philip do a ball and claw foot, isn't it? The bold confidence of having done something so much is hypnotizing. I pinged Philip about a respirator he was wearing in a video. He responded in a few days which was great; the not-great part is that he too wishes AO Safety hadn't quit making our favorite model. I'm sure you would get a response to your question.

Mike Brady
05-03-2019, 1:35 PM
Thanks. I took your suggestions and sent off a note to him. I'll share if I get an answer.

Jim Matthews
05-04-2019, 6:37 AM
During demonstrations (nearly 10 years ago) they were PS&W antiques.

Phil could manage this with a tempered butter knife and a heavy shoe.
Remember that it's not just the steel, it's choosing affordable tools you can keep sharp.

Mike Brady
05-04-2019, 8:15 AM
I got a prompt reply from Phil Lowe regarding the chisels. They are Marples chisels, unmodified, purchased from Woodcraft about thirty or so years ago. I thought they looked fresher than that seeing he is a professional woodworker using them almost every day. They also look shinier than my Blue Marples from about the same era, which may reflect how little​ I use them. Thank God he didn't say they were Aldi's.

Jim Koepke
05-05-2019, 9:44 AM
Thank God he didn't say they were Aldi's.

LOL! Aldi chisels aren't bad chisels.

The biggest problem with them is they are difficult to find if you live outside of their retails territory.

They are also in metric sizes, loved by some disdained by others.

They are not as well finished as many other maker's offerings.

The sizes are also limited. If one likes the idea of having a working set of chisels with a wide range of sizes these are not the chisels for you.

jtk

David Bassett
05-05-2019, 11:42 AM
LOL! Aldi chisels aren't bad chisels.

The biggest problem with them is....

Missed one! Some (apparently small) percentage of them didn't get the correct heat treatment and are reported to be annealed steel soft.

Oh, I guess also, since they are a grocery store's seasonal house brand, you never know if or when they'll be back and if the next batch will be as good as all these reports.

bill epstein
05-05-2019, 12:13 PM
During demonstrations (nearly 10 years ago) they were PS&W antiques.

Phil could manage this with a tempered butter knife and a heavy shoe.
Remember that it's not just the steel, it's choosing affordable tools you can keep sharp.

This speaks to a truth that's more and more lost as advertiser paid YouTube videos have taken over from workshops and books as the informer of solitary hobbyists and craftsman.

Namely, that with practice and patience, the butter knife can be sharpened using the concrete sidewalk in front of your house to a degree that will allow it to trim a tenon cut with a Tool Box saw to fit into a mortise done with a drill and that same butter knife.

Edwin Santos
05-05-2019, 12:28 PM
This speaks to a truth that's more and more lost as advertiser paid YouTube videos have taken over from workshops and books as the informer of solitary hobbyists and craftsman.

Namely, that with practice and patience, the butter knife can be sharpened using the concrete sidewalk in front of your house to a degree that will allow it to trim a tenon cut with a Tool Box saw to fit into a mortise done with a drill and that same butter knife.

Agreed, it's not the arrow it's the archer.

Günter VögelBerg
05-07-2019, 12:15 AM
It was unknown to me that there are Aldi stores in the US. In Europe they are purveyors of shoddy goods, much like Wal Mart but smaller and without a mcdonalds or multi-level parking structure. Chisels, you say?

Mel Fulks
05-07-2019, 2:36 AM
It was unknown to me that there are Aldi stores in the US. In Europe they are purveyors of shoddy goods, much like Wal Mart but smaller and without a mcdonalds or multi-level parking structure. Chisels, you say?
The Aldi store here is small ,kinda like a family run corner store. They don't get enough customers to have movies of their
customers. Walmart is a much better place to be "discovered" on you tube.

Eric Danstrom
05-07-2019, 5:49 AM
Aldi and Trader Joe's are owned by the same conglomerate and many products are the same with different packaging.

James Pallas
05-07-2019, 8:30 AM
The brand of chisel you choose or using the same kind of chisel that someone else does is not going to improve your work. From what I have seen if Phil Lowe he uses many brands. I believe I have seen 750's, Marples, Lie Neilsen, and user made in his videos. It's the skil behind the handle of the tool not the tool. I would bet that Phil Lowe could make a wonderful Cabriole leg with Aldis chisels. He may not like how they feel or work much. I'm not sure though. Maybe a 5 thousand dollar set of Japanese chisels will jump off the bench and make a Cabriole leg unguided by human hands.
Jim

Mike Brady
05-07-2019, 9:11 AM
My inquiry was merely to find out the make of the chisel that I didn't recognize. Oddly enough, I didn't notice any butter knives on Phillip Lowes bench.

I have seen many frustrated woodworkers struggle with poorly made tools that even "sharp" won't help. The reason that old tools are often seen in master's shop is that they were the best tools made during a particular era, and their quality allowed them last as long as they have.

I would agree that many good tools sit unused by owners with poor skills.

Andrew Pitonyak
05-07-2019, 9:38 AM

We have stores in Columbus Ohio and also in Michigan near Ann Arbor (ish). My wife likes their gluten free bread and their version of Rice Crispies (also gluten free unlike the original).

I have not found the chisels in their stores, but I am told that they are available around Father's day. Seve N likes their chisels. If I see a set, I will pick on up to try because.... why not? Oh yeah, I have no room.... but I will still probably pick up a set! :-) Sometimes people ask if they can borrow a chisel and they are not getting my nice chisels. I have done a lot of work with cheap chisels. I am kind of random as to which chisel I grab for some tasks. My cheap chisels are very sharp (OK, all my chisels are very charp), but they are not my first choice when I have some serious chopping to do!

Günter VögelBerg
05-07-2019, 10:27 AM
We have stores in Columbus Ohio and also in Michigan near Ann Arbor (ish). My wife likes their gluten free bread and their version of Rice Crispies (also gluten free unlike the original).

I have not found the chisels in their stores, but I am told that they are available around Father's day. Seve N likes their chisels. If I see a set, I will pick on up to try because.... why not? Oh yeah, I have no room.... but I will still probably pick up a set! :-) Sometimes people ask if they can borrow a chisel and they are not getting my nice chisels. I have done a lot of work with cheap chisels. I am kind of random as to which chisel I grab for some tasks. My cheap chisels are very sharp (OK, all my chisels are very charp), but they are not my first choice when I have some serious chopping to do!

I have three tiers of chisels. I have the Lie-Nielsen chisels that do not leave my shop. I have Marples chisels that I use around the house for general carpentry and that I loan to one trusted friend, then I have some Stanley chisels from Home Depot that I lend to anyone else.

steven c newman
05-07-2019, 10:29 AM
have to be quick....they set out ONE Box of the sets, and no more...when those are gone, that is it....and they sell out QUICK! keep an eye peeled on their sales flyers...be there the morning the chisels go on sale...by lunch time, you will be too late ...VOE...

( have 2 sets, BTW)
Newer chisels are a tad thicker, though..
I can use one set for chopping, the other set for paring....
Still easy to flatten the backs....too.

Doug Dawson
05-07-2019, 12:33 PM
It's the skil behind the handle of the tool not the tool.

I agree. It's the poor workman who buys cheap crappy tools. And some would say, that's why he's poor. Or something like that. :^)

David Bassett
05-07-2019, 12:34 PM
Aldi and Trader Joe's are owned by the same conglomerate and many products are the same with different packaging.

We don't have them in our area, but they exist in Southern California.

I was curious last time this came up and dug a little into their corporate history and it's more complicated than one conglomerate. Aldi was a single chain, founded in IIRC Germany, and split into Aldi Nord & Sud (North & South) in the sixties when the two inheriting brothers had a disagreement. They coordinate products, split territories, and coexist outside the US. One opened Trader Joe's in the US (in the 60's or 70's?) and the other stayed out of the US market until more recently. It is the relative newcomer, using the Aldi name, that has seasonal merchandise and does the chisels. Per reports, they are offered just before Father's Day and (IIRC) one year also in late Summer.

James Pallas
05-07-2019, 2:27 PM
With so many things to consider in buying or using a tool the use of that tool by someone is way down on my list. I don't care if it's a chisel or a shovel. Steven Newman seems to get along with Aldi chisels, Brian Holcombe likes Japanese chisels, Derek Cohen seems to get along with several types. I like how the tool feels in hand when in use or balance. Edge longevity is important to me but not enough to like a steep bevel just to have it. If I get along well with the tool that's what counts. There where three of us doing a little dirt work at my house the other day, three different shovels, two fiberglass handles and my wood handled True Temper. It seems that one person liked the feel of my True Temper and kept picking it up to use. I had to politely tell them I wanted to use my shovel and they should use theirs. The third person just said "What's the difference?" I just said blisters. Use what feels good to you and be happy.
Jim

Andrew More
05-07-2019, 3:18 PM
Maybe a 5 thousand dollar set of Japanese chisels will jump off the bench and make a Cabriole leg unguided by human hands.
Jim

I think you've just described a CNC router. :)

FWIW, Aldi's here in Cincinnati, Ohio, and I've seen a video with Paul Seller's sharpening and using them to good effect. Might pick some up come father's day.

James Pallas
05-07-2019, 3:53 PM
I think you've just described a CNC router. :)

FWIW, Aldi's here in Cincinnati, Ohio, and I've seen a video with Paul Seller's sharpening and using them to good effect. Might pick some up come father's day.

Hah ha good call it would work too.:)

Rob Luter
05-07-2019, 4:18 PM
.......Steven Newman seems to get along with Aldi chisels, Brian Holcombe likes Japanese chisels, Derek Cohen seems to get along with several types.....

I'm guessing any of these three guys could put an edge on a soup spoon and get stellar results.

Mike Brady
05-07-2019, 8:05 PM
Gosh, I'd give anything to have my posts removed from this thread.:eek: I really didn't want to hear from the "great craftman makes a highboy with only a sharp butterknife" proponents, and the Aldi chisel fan club. At this point Patrick Chase would look good. At least he was informed.

Jim Koepke
05-08-2019, 2:26 AM
I like how the tool feels in hand when in use or balance. Edge longevity is important to me but not enough to like a steep bevel just to have it. If I get along well with the tool that's what counts.

Put me in the same boat. Buck Brothers and Witherby socket chisels feel good in my hand. Many other chisels also feel good in hand. If a tool feels rough or prickly in one's hand, as a woodworker one should be able to do something about it.

A good dent was put in my accumulation of extra chisels at a flea market last Saturday. The Aldi chisels stayed home as did quite a few others.

jtk

steven c newman
05-09-2019, 8:24 AM
On the subject of fat handles:

When Uncle Arthur(itis) changes one's grip, to the point they have trouble holding an Estwing blue handle tight enough for it to stay in the hand's grip....I need fatter handles to match the hand's ability to grip. Those skinny Butcher, and old Buck Brothers handles? I have to use a thumb and one finger grip, as the rest can not close around them.

have a couple fingers with more twist and turns than a West Virginia road....they even make more noise than the pins, if I were to go bowling, again.

IF someone else has no problems gripping skinny handles, by all means, use them. The only type of chisel I am a "Fan Boy" of, is the one that I can use to get a job done...

YMMV

Jim Koepke
05-09-2019, 10:40 AM
I need fatter handles to match the hand's ability to grip. Those skinny Butcher, and old Buck Brothers handles? I have to use a thumb and one finger grip, as the rest can not close around them.

That is why almost all of my chisels are socket chisels. The handle can be made to my needs, not what some marketing manager, who never used a chisel, decided looks nice.

jtk

Edwin Santos
05-09-2019, 12:04 PM
On the subject of fat handles:

When Uncle Arthur(itis) changes one's grip, to the point they have trouble holding an Estwing blue handle tight enough for it to stay in the hand's grip....I need fatter handles to match the hand's ability to grip. Those skinny Butcher, and old Buck Brothers handles? I have to use a thumb and one finger grip, as the rest can not close around them.

have a couple fingers with more twist and turns than a West Virginia road....they even make more noise than the pins, if I were to go bowling, again.

IF someone else has no problems gripping skinny handles, by all means, use them. The only type of chisel I am a "Fan Boy" of, is the one that I can use to get a job done...

YMMV

More on the subject of chisel handles - I was debating between two particular lines of Ashley Iles chisels, one being the MKII bench chisel and the other being the American Pattern butt chisel. The only real differences are the handles and lengths. It's amazing how much of impact a subtle difference in handle will make in use. When chopping, I tend to choke up on the blade, holding it down low, very close to the work. The shorter handler really lowers the center of gravity, reduces fatigue, and increases feedback. On the other hand, the longer handle of the MKII is much better for paring. So I kept both.

To me this means handle shape and size is one factor in choosing a particular chisel for a particular task and also makes a case for accumulating a variety of styles. But I agree wholeheartedly with others who say you should not buy hand tools sight unseen without the opportunity to assess them in your hands, unless of course the vendor will take a return without giving you any guff.

Back to the OP topic, I can't speak for a master craftsman like Philip Lowe, but it would be interesting to ask him why he chose the Marples chisels that he chose. I wonder if he put a lot of thought into it, or did like Tage Frid who just went over to the local hardware store when he needed chisels?

lowell holmes
05-09-2019, 1:50 PM
I am happy with my leather chisel roll filled with Lie Nielsen chisels.

Jim Koepke
05-09-2019, 2:07 PM
More on the subject of chisel handles - I was debating between two particular lines of Ashley Iles chisels, one being the MKII bench chisel and the other being the American Pattern butt chisel. The only real differences are the handles and lengths. It's amazing how much of impact a subtle difference in handle will make in use. When chopping, I tend to choke up on the blade, holding it down low, very close to the work. The shorter handler really lowers the center of gravity, reduces fatigue, and increases feedback. On the other hand, the longer handle of the MKII is much better for paring. So I kept both.

To me this means handle shape and size is one factor in choosing a particular chisel for a particular task and also makes a case for accumulating a variety of styles. But I agree wholeheartedly with others who say you should not buy hand tools sight unseen without the opportunity to assess them in your hands, unless of course the vendor will take a return without giving you any guff.

Back to the OP topic, I can't speak for a master craftsman like Philip Lowe, but it would be interesting to ask him why he chose the Marples chisels that he chose. I wonder if he put a lot of thought into it, or did like Tage Frid who just went over to the local hardware store when he needed chisels?

A tool with a feel of being a part of the one using it is much better than the feel of a tool always making you aware it is in your hand. Different chisels for different tasks has long been my choice. Others may choose to have one chisel that can, pare, chop or mortise. It will likely only be the best choice for one of those jobs or be a compromise for all of them.

Mr. Lowe may be like many other woodworking artisans. Roy Underhill often has tools from different makers in use on his program. He also has a store to sell tools to those seeking them. Maybe the use of one tool or another is just part of the process of "quality control testing" before they are set out for sale.

jtk