PDA

View Full Version : Pick up steps

kevin nee
05-03-2019, 9:42 AM
I have recently purchased a 2011 GMC 1500 extended cab pick up. It came with no step/running boards.
It is a little high for my older dog to get in. So I have decided to get some side steps. My question is has anyone installed them themself. I can get them installed for $80. Is it an easy job or should I just let someone that does it on a regular basis do it.
Thanks in advance, Kevin

Jim Koepke
05-03-2019, 10:44 AM
Are the steps big enough for the dog to get his back legs up after the front legs?

$80 seems reasonable if the installer is competent.

If the vehicle is made to accept aftermarket steps then it might be an easy job to do oneself.

jtk

George Yetka
05-03-2019, 11:11 AM
I would definitely check to see if they are dog friendly steps. my 1500 came with boards but I can only get my toes on them and my feet dont fit between them and the truck. I really dislike mine they make me do an awkward half step

Matt Day
05-03-2019, 12:55 PM
My kids use a folding plastic stool to get up to the sink and such. Wonder if getting something similar to keep in the truck would be better and more economical.

kevin nee
06-02-2019, 11:01 AM
Update, I purchased OEM steps online for $249 and installed them myself in about 1 hour and 15 minutes. The frame had plugs covering factory holes for steps. I could do another one in about 45 minutes without directions. Everything worked out well.

David Kreuzberg
06-02-2019, 11:46 AM
You....(GASP!)....read the DIRECTIONS??? Your man card is permanently revoked.

Jim Becker
06-02-2019, 5:32 PM
Years ago, I installed a set of Smittybuilt side steps on the 2000 Toyota Tundra I owned at the time. The install was relatively easy outside of being a balancing act to do alone. And yea..."Read the Fabulous Manual" is a good practice. :)