PDA

View Full Version : My most difficult wood project yet (long)

Kent Parker
12-09-2005, 9:42 PM
Not technically but emotionally.

It actually a rather simple box however the thoughts involved during the making of this box at many times caused me to pause and reflect on the man who’s ashes would be held within it. It’s been two weeks now since Dan, my father-in-law of twenty years, died unexpectedly of a heart attack possible due to complications of Parkinson’s.

The day of his death we were at the mortuary attending to business and there in the “display” room were all these urns, vases and ends views of caskets. Everything from plain cardboard, painted cardboard to pine boxes and on up the ladder of expense. Rather shocking prices! I was not aware that my mother-in-law intended to purchase a box for his ashes and of course offered to make one.

So off to the shop I go with no design in hand and after many complicated design ideas, ended up with this. It’s Santos Mahogany with accents of Bocote. Hard to tell in these photos but the edges angle upwards to the top rather than 90 degrees. (The top is narrower)
<O:p</O:p
Though not Asian, my father-in-law was born in Shanghai so the box had to have a slight Asian theme. He was an engineer that could make anything from nothing to the marvel of all those that viewed the final result so there had to be some detail and some handy work. The little squares are hand cut and fit (detail) and the carved edges are the handy work. The top thingy…..I dunno. At first it looked like a Herreshoff cleat, then a fishing lure. He wasn’t a sailor or a fisherman so I dropped it down and there you go. Semi gloss poly finish.

Service/party is tomorrow and Dan will there in his new “home”.

Cheers and good health to all.
</O:p
Kent

john whittaker
12-09-2005, 9:50 PM
Kent, absolutely stunning. Very fine design and the wood is marvelous. Very appropriate for the occasion. I'm very sorry for your loss and am sure your family appreciates your excellent efforts. It makes a fine resting place, and to know that a loved one designed and constructed it will bring comfort.

Roy Wall
12-09-2005, 10:34 PM
Kent,

My prayers are with your family.....

As for the box, it's just terrific! Sleek, beautiful, engineered, elegant.

You have done your Father-in-law proud - and I know your entire family is extremely pleased with your talent and thoughtfulness. Blessings this Christmas season to you and all your family.

John Miliunas
12-09-2005, 10:59 PM
Kent, I believe your FIL is very proud of you and honored to have such a tribute to him. You and your family can rejoice in his life and know that he will be resting in style with you! I'm sure it was a very difficult project both, technically and emotionally but now, your entire family can share in the beauty of it. Well done.

Jim Hinze
12-10-2005, 1:04 AM
The box is simply stunning. I'm sure he is proud of your efforts and will find rest and comfort. You should be commended for your efforts after his passing.

Well done sir.

On a sadder note, I am truely sorry for your loss, he will be in my family's prayers.

Steve Wargo
12-10-2005, 1:28 AM
Excellent piece. The pull on the top is outstanding, and the figure of the wood is also very nice. Always nice to make a piece that actually means something to someone. Great job.

Vaughn McMillan
12-10-2005, 4:52 AM
Beautiful box Kent, excellent execution, with thoughtful sentiments behind every detail. Both the box and the description you wrote are a wonderful tribute. My thoughts are with you and your wife's family.

- Vaughn

Dev Emch
12-10-2005, 5:09 AM
Very nicely done. Not only did you do this but the design and execution are first rate which makes it even more befitting. Sorry about your loss.

Karl Laustrup
12-10-2005, 7:01 AM
Kent, my condolances to you and your family.

You have created a stunning tribute to your FIL. I can't think of a more beautiful creation to honor him.

Karl

lou sansone
12-10-2005, 7:13 AM
dear kent

I sorry about loss. I have built boxes for similar purposes and it does make you pause and think, sometimes cry, about the dignity of man.

regards
lou

John Bailey
12-10-2005, 8:10 AM
Kent,

Having lost my fater less than a year ago, I know what you and your family are going through. My thoughts are with you. Your box is a stunning example of reverence for the life of a man and his continuing contribution to mankind, even after his passing. Thank you for your post.

John

Chris Barton
12-10-2005, 9:14 AM
Very nicely executed piece and a great demonstration of devotion and honor.

Jim Becker
12-10-2005, 2:05 PM
I'll also use the "stunning" word. Excellent!

Chris Livingston
12-10-2005, 4:06 PM
<st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Kent</st1:country-region></st1:place>,
<o:p> </o:p>
My condolences. I know how difficult these kinds of projects can be emotionally. I made a small coffin for my niece that was born prematurely and an urn for a good hunting buddy. They are never easy but the other family and friends always appreciate the work you do.