PDA

View Full Version : JWBS-18 Question

Chris Kalnasy
05-02-2019, 11:12 AM
So after seeing this pop up locally....
'https://richmond.craigslist.org/tls/d/richmond-jet-jwbs-18-woodcutting/6878278324.html

Is this the 'bad' model of that band saw or the good one? I know the description says it is a 1 3/4hp but the placard in the pictures says 1.5. After much debate while reading I honestly have no clue what people are referring to about the rectangle frame vs triangle. A little help here fellas.

Thanks!

Jay Kepley
05-02-2019, 11:51 AM
Hey Chris. Are you from RVA? I'm out in Goochland, but work in Henrico. I saw that ad as well. I don't know anything about this particular model, but generally, I believe I'd rather spend a few dollars more on one of the new larger Rikon models or a Grizzly.

Chris Kalnasy
05-02-2019, 12:32 PM
Hey Jay. I am actually in sourthern MD. And after doing some digging it looks like the seller is trying to pass off this bandsaw as the newer one that costs $2200 new as opposed to the $1200 older model. Maybe he does not know any different, either way, it appears this is the older model with all of the known issues.

Zachary Hoyt
05-02-2019, 1:56 PM
I have one of the 'bad' ones and it has been great for me for the last several years. I paid $320 at an auction for mine. No way would I think it's worth what that one is offered for, given the age and possible issues. I keep a 1/2" 3 TPI blade in mine and use it daily, I don't need a huge blade for what I do.
Zach

Karl Loeblein
05-02-2019, 4:08 PM
Yes, it's
the older JET BS model with European style blade guides that I highly dislike. I paid $450 for mine at an auction several years ago, and would not pay more than half of what this seller is asking. Keep in mind a decent set of Carter Roller Guides for this BS might could cost another $350. I
f you have $1,200 to spend then I suggest keeping an eye out for a better BS.