PDA

View Full Version : Tenoning Jig on Table Saw

Richard Verwoest
05-01-2019, 3:19 PM
I am making a flag case. I am using a tenoning jig to cut the 22.5 degree angles. My table saw is a left tilting blade and I am using the jig in the left side mitre bar slot. But when I make a cut, the offcut is trapped. Should I set up my jig in the right hand side mitre slot? Any other recommendations?

Richard

Rod Sheridan
05-01-2019, 3:40 PM
That's what I did when I owned a cabinet saw...........Rod.

Frank Pratt
05-01-2019, 3:52 PM
Yes, set up on the right side. Cutting a bevel on the side it tilts to is always dicey.

Lee Schierer
05-01-2019, 4:14 PM
I would advise against making this cut unless you have a zero clearance insert. With a regular throat plate that little wedge can do serious damage to a blade and possibly you. I had a similar situation and that little piece of wood got caught by the blade and jammed into the slot against the blade taking out three carbide teeth including on tooth root on a 1-1/2 hp saw. One of the carbide teeth hit me in th throat.

Richard Verwoest
05-01-2019, 4:56 PM
Thanks Rod, I think I will move it then.

Frank-I agree, very dicey.

Lee-Thanks for the advice. I usually always use a zero clearance insert.

Thank gentlemen.

Dave Richards
05-01-2019, 5:31 PM
Good luck with it. Be safe. Some time ago I designed a jig for these sorts of cuts that prevents the off cut getting trapped. The off cut drops harmlessly away from the blade. You might want to come up with something like that instead of using the tenoning jig.

Richard Verwoest
05-02-2019, 10:52 AM
Yeah, moving the jig to the right hand side is not going to work. I found a simple jig that rides on the table saw fence. I will build one and use that. Thanks everyone.

Richard