PDA

View Full Version : Beginning and end of lines?

Steve Middleton
05-01-2019, 2:00 PM
A customer pointed out that there's a slight difference between the beginning and end of each line. In other works the beginning and end of the line are darker than the rest. It's not a LOT different but they have a great deal of detail and I understand their concern. I'mg guessing the machine takes a brief time to accelerate from zero at the beginning and back again at the end? I have a request in to tech support but wonder if anyone has any suggestions? Thanks to all for making this such a great forum!

Gary Hair
05-01-2019, 5:50 PM
My Trotec has a setting specifically for that issue, yours may as well. If not, you could draw something outside of the limits of the graphic you are lasering and force the laser on earlier/off later that way. I can do that with a non-lasering color, you might be able to as well.

Kev Williams
05-02-2019, 12:35 AM
I'm assuming you're cutting or engraving wood or paper-? -Explain "line"-- as in, are you rastering, and the left and right edges of each sweep are darker? Or vectoring 'open' straight or curvy lines, and the ends are darker? Or outline engraving 'closed' rectangles, and the corners are darker, and/or the beginning/end points are darker? I'll assume vectoring for now...

You have a Chinese Rabbit, does it have 2 power settings in Vector mode, the second setting may be called something like 'corner power'? If so, lower the lower power setting, it's there to compensate for when the machine slows down from full speed to make a corner or to stop, and for when it starts moving until it reaches full speed, then the higher setting kicks in. If your software allows for 'circle speed limits', the lower power setting is used when the speed limit kicks in..

found these pics, this was the first wood job I did in my Triumph,
note the corners of the rectangle, very hot on my first try,
after lowering the low power setting by 10% or so, much better...

Rob Damon
05-02-2019, 8:42 AM
If you are using rdworks it is the min/max setting
Set the max to the % you need to cut the line at and the min to the minimum power setting that still allows the laser tube to fire (approx. 10% of tube rating)
This lets the controller reduce the tube power setting when the head slows down and when it speeds up

Having min=max means the tube firing longer over target when it is stopped at the end of a line than when it is moving at the set speed

You can also look at overrun settings
This lets the head run past the end of the line and thus during the accel/decel portions of the head movement the controller can shut off the laser completely

Steve Middleton
05-03-2019, 12:13 PM
Thanks! It took several times to find the "sweet spot" but your answer was exactly what I needed. Thanks again:)

If you are using rdworks it is the min/max setting
Set the max to the % you need to cut the line at and the min to the minimum power setting that still allows the laser tube to fire (approx. 10% of tube rating)
This lets the controller reduce the tube power setting when the head slows down and when it speeds up

Having min=max means the tube firing longer over target when it is stopped at the end of a line than when it is moving at the set speed

You can also look at overrun settings
This lets the head run past the end of the line and thus during the accel/decel portions of the head movement the controller can shut off the laser completely