PDA

View Full Version : A small neander finger jointed box

Zahid Naqvi
12-09-2005, 8:04 PM
Except for the resawing everything was done by handtools. The Curly Maple came from Dennis' "private selection". The finger joints are handcut.

Dye is a mix of Brown Mahogany with a touch of Cherry Red Aniline dye, followed by two coats of Shellac and three coats of Deft brush-on topcoat (Lacquer). Still can't come up with enough courage to hand plane curly woods, so I had to fall back to sanding. The recipe for the finish came from Jeff Jewitt himself (asked him on the homestead site).

But I am not impressed by the finish achieved by deft, I could always see brushmarks no matter what I did, and it was supposed to self level. Maybe it has something to do with my technique, or perhaps I should have thinned the finish.

Here's the front view

The insides are maple ply, ebonized with aniline dye.

Excuse the lint at the bottom which came from buffing, didn't notice until after I had posted the picture.

and the customary picture of the box in-service

and yes that is a small crack at the top right corner, the wood must have had this but I didn't notice it until after It had been clamped and dried. I figure it gives it a little lived in look.

Mike Wenzloff
12-09-2005, 8:56 PM
Beautiful Zahid!

Very nice and sort of poetic justice, considering what it houses...

Take care, Mike

Dan Clermont in Burnaby
12-09-2005, 9:55 PM
Nice Box,

Care to share the recipe Jeff Jewitt passed on to you? How much of the dye's were used?

Thanks
Dan Clermont

Dan Forman
12-10-2005, 4:05 AM
Gorgeous box! Your finishing regemen sure brought out the figure in the wood.

Dan

John Motzi
12-10-2005, 6:30 AM
Hi Zahid,

This is a very nice box!!!

JM

Jim Becker
12-10-2005, 2:20 PM
Very nice, Zahid! And don't worry about the crack...it makes it a nice reproduction of a 17th century remote box. :D :D :D

Zahid Naqvi
12-11-2005, 10:14 PM
Nice Box,

Care to share the recipe Jeff Jewitt passed on to you? How much of the dye's were used?

Thanks
Dan Clermont

Here you go, http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2750. The interesting thing is Jeff recommends a light sanding while the dye is still wet. I actually didn't measure the quantities of the dye as I wasn't lloking for a particular color. I put a little brown dye and kept adding small quantities of red until it got close to what felt right.

Zahid Naqvi
12-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Very nice, Zahid! And don't worry about the crack...it makes it a nice reproduction of a 17th century remote box. :D :D :D

That's a good one there Jim, you had me going for a couple'a seconds.:p