PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Large-Ish Media Console- should I treat top different from base?

Jon Singh
04-29-2019, 4:38 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm working on a low and long Media console out of some walnut ply and I'm debating how to finish this so it looks nice but also durable. It's basically just a long and low bookshelf at the end of the day, the only difference is the top may take some minor abuse from holding a large LED TV and maybe some DVD's getting thrown ontop of it. What would you guys suggest? I was thinking maybe ARM-R-Seal Satin for the very top and maybe danish or shellac for the rest of it? It's going to be constructed before I finish it. Concerns here are maybe that the top will look drastically different from the rest of it using this method and since its mainly constructed I guess there is some chance of run off from the top to the base if not adequetely checked.

What are your thoughts?

Jim Becker
04-29-2019, 4:45 PM
If you wall mount the flatscreen TV (which is safer) you will not have to worry about it affecting the beautiful piece you're building. :D If you want to use a protective film finish no the top, but use something different for the cabinet, that's not really an issue, per se, but you may want to consider insuring a similar sheen. Shellac is glossy. Period. Unless you spend a lot of time rubbing it out which you can, but have to be pretty careful with because by its nature, Shellac should go on as thin as possible. It's not a finish that you "build" up to a thick layer. "Danish oil" will (usually) provide a low luster finish so you may want to use a matte sheen oil based product on top to avoid a noticeable difference. Etc. Think it through and you'll be fine. And as always. TEST on scrap of the same material first before committing to your project!