PDA

View Full Version : How many handplanes do you have?

lowell holmes
04-29-2019, 11:12 AM
I have seven. I have a 604, 605, 607 Bedrocks and a 5 1/2 Bailey. The other three are Baileys as well. I have Hock irons and breakers on them.
I don't use them much any more,but I will start wood working by hand again.
I have a collection of Disston saws as well. Some have curly maple handles.

Allen Read
04-29-2019, 11:23 AM
I'm not sure. I have 8 planes out right now, but my shop is mostly packed in boxes. Probably another 10 to 12 planes packed away. Yes, it's a sickness that became worse when I started watching the plane restoration videos on youtube.

Allen

Kurtis Johnson
04-29-2019, 12:08 PM
This could be an interesting thread. I'll toss in…

Block Planes
- Sargent No. 206 (Type 3, 1910-1918)
- Early Stanley No. 65 with knuckle cap, (1905-1912)
- Late Stanley No. 65 with knuckle cap (circa 1936-1947)

Bench Planes
- Stanley Bailey No. 4, (Type 17 WWII era)
- Stanley Bailey No. 5, (Type 14)
- Stanley Bailey No. 6, (Type 9)
- Stanley Bailey No. 7

Specialty Planes
- Veritas Large Shoulder Plane
- Veritas Small Plow Plane with factory mod upgrade

Wooden Planes
- Hermon Chapin 3/16" Center Bead Plane, fully boxed, No. 196 or 166 (1826-1860)
- Sandusky 3/16" Side Bead Plane
- Mawle & Co. 1/8" Side Bead Plane, fully boxed
- Thos L. Appleton Boston 3/8" Center Bead Plane
- Etc., etc., etc.…

Hollows & Rounds Functional Pairs
- Hollow 3/4", Auburn Tool Co., N. Y. No. 180, "Size 10"
- Round 3/4", A Howland & Co., #180, Size "10"
- Hollow 7/8", Sargent & Co. 663, Size "6"
- Round 7/8", A. F. Bidwell, Cold Water, Mich., 72, "No. 5"

Jim Koepke
04-29-2019, 1:42 PM
My block planes outnumber your whole accumulation.

After the count got up to ~50 my efforts at keeping track were abandoned.

If you are ever up this way, you are welcome to come by and count them.

That isn't all of them.

jtk

Bill Houghton
04-29-2019, 2:14 PM
Even if I took my shoes off - even if I asked my bride to come out to the shop and take her shoes off* - I'm not sure there'd be enough fingers and toes to count my herd of planes.
------
*which would, of course, be a profoundly stupid move, since the already-not-infrequently-asked question, "Why do you have so many tools?", would inevitably arise.

steven c newman
04-29-2019, 2:17 PM
35 handplanes, 25 handsaws....last count. yard sale season is about to start, again...numbers could change..:rolleyes:

Kurtis Johnson
04-29-2019, 2:39 PM
Ha! You certainly have many more than I, no doubt. However, the ones I listed are my users which I've restored, fettled and tuned. I have a drawer full I want to be in someone else's hands. I still have a few on my list to get. It's a tidy list. Mileage certainly varies, and I would not impose the following on anyone but myself, but I would like to imagine my grandfather seeing my shop for the first time and not be embarrassed. There's an end to my user collection. ;)

Kyle Iwamoto
04-29-2019, 2:50 PM
I have a disease. Plane collecting. I've been ill a long time. I have at least 60. Mostly from Craigslist/yard sales. Most of them are not used, obviously. I mean, how can you possibly use that many planes. I refurb them and get them well and functioning. As mentioned earlier, Summer is coming, the list can expand. I have to say that I have 2 Stanley No. 8s, not just one. That's how sick I am. One of them has a Hock blade. I love that plane. Hope my wife doesn't visit this forum.

Rob Luter
04-29-2019, 3:05 PM
After many years of never ending rust hunting, I divested myself of about 30 planes over the last year or so. What remains:

LN #102
LN #60 1/2
LV Medium Shoulder Plane
LV Edge Trimming Plane
Stanley Sweetheart Era #3 with Hock Iron
LN #4 (Bronze)
LN #4 1/2 (Iron)
ECE German Jack
LV #62 1/2 Low Angle Jack
Stanley Sweetheart Era #7 with Hock Iron

That should do.

Jason Kamery
04-29-2019, 3:11 PM
Block Planes:
Stanley 220
And a new Sweetheart 60 1/2

Bench:
Dunlap 3dbb
Stanley #4
Sargent VBM 409
Millers Falls #9
Sargent 414
Millers Falls 14
Sargent VBM 418
Union #7 (I am not positive what their numbering system is, but it's a jointer).

Specialty/Joinery planes:
Veritas skew rabbet
Veritas Router
Veritas Cabinet scraper
Veritas small plow

Spokeshaves:
2 small ones that don't really have any markings on them
Stanley 151
Stanley 51

And I think that's it..... Now when I write it out I realize, I need more planes haha.

Hasin Haroon
04-29-2019, 4:35 PM
If you asked me a year or so ago it would have been around 50 - 60. I got hit hard by the garage sale/plane restoration bug. But I found myself never using most of my planes so I sold off the vast majority this past year. Now I have -

Block Planes:
2 block planes
1 Pocket plane

Bench Planes:
5 BD Smoothers
1 BU Smoother
3 BD Jack Planes
2 BU Jack Planes
1 BD Jointer
1 BU Jointer

Yes, I clearly have a problem

Joinery Planes:
2 Shoulder Planes
1 Rabbet Plane
1 Plow Plane
1 Combination Plane
2 Router Planes
1 Shooting Plane
1 Scraper Plane

That brings the total to 25 - Clearly I still have a bit of a problem.

This doesn't count the various woodies I've kept for different reasons, and the hollows and rounds set. I never use them but couldn't bring myself to part with them...

Zach Dillinger
04-29-2019, 4:44 PM
If we are counting molding and joinery planes... literally hundreds. If we are just counting bench planes... dozens. I stopped counting a long time ago.

Orlando Gonzalez
04-29-2019, 5:11 PM
77 of them:

32 Bench
37 Joinery
4 Block
4 Specialty

Doug Dawson
04-29-2019, 5:12 PM
I have seven. I have a 604, 605, 607 Bedrocks and a 5 1/2 Bailey. The other three are Baileys as well. I gave Hock irons and breakers on them.

Only as many as I need.

Stanley 608, 8, 7, 6, 5, 5C, 604, 4, 3, and LN skew block, block, 4.5, 4, a couple of scrubs, a LA jack, a Record block. I'm sure I'm missing a few.

I most definitely don't have a problem, all of these are used and kept ready to use (except for the several that are sitting in a box because they're useless but I could change my mind.) Plus a parts bin.

I'm not a collector. I bought a plane because I needed it.

Jim Koepke
04-29-2019, 5:24 PM
I have to say that I have 2 Stanley No. 8s, not just one. That's how sick I am. One of them has a Hock blade.

Kyle,

Great minds must think alike. One of my #8s has a hock blade. The other #8, with a corrugated sole, has only recently been put into service. It may be up for sale next Saturday at a flea market where we have rented a space.

Almost everyone of my planes gets some use during the passage of a year.

jtk

Thomas Wilson
04-29-2019, 6:27 PM
I have planes that were my father’s and my grandfather’s, 6 or 8 of those; some undistinguished bench and block planes from years when I worked mainly with power tools; about 20 quality modern planes mostly from Lie-Nielsen but a few Veritas purchased for my recent apartment woodworking phase. I have Primus wooden smooth and block planes that were Christmas presents from the 80’s when Primus was cool. I have a couple of Record spokeshaves, and some no-name spokeshaves from my childhood, probably a present.

William Fretwell
04-29-2019, 6:50 PM
Gave three to my son so down to 13.
Seven bench.
Five specialty.
Use them all!
One old wood eBay purchase that is not usable. Not as pretty as the photograph either.

Stew Denton
04-29-2019, 10:29 PM
Hi All,

Too many.

About 2 dozen bench planes, a few of which are junkers, some inherited, some waiting to be given away as gifts, several in pieces waiting to be restored, and a small minority in sharpened usable condition.

Two combination planes, 3 block planes, and one moving fillister plane.

Eventually I will have less bench planes.

I do know of one Neander user/restorer/collector who told me that he has about 300 in his collection.

Stew

John Schtrumpf
04-29-2019, 11:12 PM
I took an inventory:

Veritas Low Angle Block
Veritas Left Skew Block

Kunz Plus No. 3 Smooth
Veritas Small Bevel-Up Smooth
Veritas Custom #4 Smooth (40°/50°)
Veritas #5-1/4W Bench
Veritas #6 Fore
Stanley #31 Jointer

Veritas Miter Plane
Veritas Bevel-Up Jack Rabbet
Veritas Right Skew Rabbet
Veritas Side Rabbet

Veritas Small Plow (full Imperial)
Veritas S/M/L Router Planes
Veritas S/M/Bull Shoulder Planes

Asian Hollows and Rounds
Ovolo
Reeding
Rabbet
Spoon (Japan)
Compass (Japan)

Andrew Hughes
04-29-2019, 11:15 PM
I have four handplanes and four bench planes.
I know I’m very boring :o

James Pickering
04-29-2019, 11:38 PM
Just these three now:

(I have probably have used the No. 4 smoothing plane more than any other)

http://jp29.org/stanplanes10.jpg
Stanley No. 4 Bailey smoothing plane - Type 16 (1933-1941)

http://jp29.org/stanplanes08.jpg
Stanley No. 60½ low angle adjustable mouth Block plane

http://jp29.org/stanplanes01x.jpg
Stanley No. 203 Block plane circa. 1937

chris carter
04-30-2019, 8:59 AM
My bench planes:
Homemade 26” Woodie jointer
Homemade 16” Woodie jack
Stanley No. 26 transitional jack converted to a fore plane
Stanley Sweatheart No. 4
Craftsman block plane

Joinery planes:
Veritas combination
Veritas router
Homemade ¼” grooving
Infinity 30mm rabbet
Mujingfang 6, 10 and 13mm hollows and rounds
Wooden spokeshaves of unknown brand; one flat and one round bottom
Stanley 51-style spokeshave

Mike Hutchison
04-30-2019, 9:18 AM
About 35 to include:
Stanley Planes

#2 Bailey

#3 Bailey

#4 Bailey

#5 Bailey

#6 Bailey

#8 Bailey
#32 Transitional

#35 Transitional

#3 Bailey (Duplicate; little younger than one listed above)

#39 Dado Plane

#40 Scrub Plane

#60 1/2

#62 Low Angle Plane

Bullnose Plane-little rascal

#72 Chamfer Plane

#78 Rabbet Plane

#118 Block Plane

#102 Block Plane

# 71 Router Plane

#113 Circular Plane

Craftsman Planes

Jointer 22" Length

Gray Rabbet/Fillister

Bluegrass
#4 Size Bench

Jake Rothermel
04-30-2019, 9:38 AM
As few as possible, whilst still having all I need?

Scrub (woodie)
Jack (woodie)
Jointer (woodie)
Smoother (bedrock 603)
two block planes (one's a No19 and the other's a no-name borg)
router plane (71-1/2)
and there [I]may be a grooving or rabbet plane in my future (I've been eyeing a few to restore)

Some are original irons, some are replacement/upgrades, some have multiple irons for different jobs. I definitely subscribe to the Less Is More school of woodworking as much as I can....

jake

steven c newman
04-30-2019, 10:06 AM
Planes..
Just planes..
Might have a few...
Ya think? fellow here in town claims to have around 350 planes.....:eek:

Kurtis Johnson
04-30-2019, 10:50 AM
Impressive, Chris. If I had a workshop with more stable and controlled atmospheric conditions, I'd go wooden bench planes. I think I would enjoy the immediate feedback of wood on wood. It would be a more aesthetic experience. Nice to see yours are homemade. Kudos!

Prashun Patel
04-30-2019, 11:31 AM
Like my garden, the collection grew for the first few years, and now has shrunk to this:

3 spokeshaves
small block
BU smoother
BU jack
BU jointer
large shoulder plane
router plane
wood try plane

The myriad other jacks and smoothers I have now are converted for rough surfacing.

Saw arsenal growing.

jim hanna
04-30-2019, 12:32 PM
29 planes, a mix of mid-range modern and cleaned-up antiques.

The nine I’ve highlighted are the ones I’d want to replace if they dropped on the floor and broke, the rest are nice to have but not used as much. My nine of choice includes three plough/combination planes so probably still a bit excessive.409008

Jerry Olexa
04-30-2019, 1:16 PM
I have a bunch but as we used to say about clamps (when building furniture):
You can never have enough :)

Keith Mathewson
04-30-2019, 7:52 PM
More than I need, less than I desire

Osvaldo Cristo
04-30-2019, 8:05 PM
On use:
Lie Nielsen 60 1/2 Block Plane
Lie Nielsen 62 Jack Plane (two different blades, two additional blades coming soon)

At reserve:
Two cheap Stanleys, one block plane and one no. 4

William Fretwell
04-30-2019, 10:32 PM
Long workbench! Lovely to have all your tools laid out for easy reach, the drawers under the bench must be empty :D

William Fretwell
04-30-2019, 10:40 PM
Many years I had just a Jack and a Block plane, did not stop me building furniture!

Andrew Seemann
05-01-2019, 12:36 AM
Something more than 30, but I hope less than 40. Well maybe around 40 or so if we counted ones waiting restoration. All users, nothing a particularly valuable representation of its breed. All with the original iron, well at least the one that came with the plane when I got it, or an iron that came in a similar plane that fit.

Sizes 3-8 for bench -lots of 3s 4s 4 1/2s and 5s, a bunch of block planes, router plane, compass plane, some rabbit planes, scrub planes, and some specialty ones. A WWII vintage #3 is my favorite, and a #6 & #78 from my great grandfather my most sentimental. I still have the original Sweetheart box for the #78. It is probably worth more than the plane itself:)

Greg Parrish
05-01-2019, 7:42 AM
Just starting out with hand tools and just got my first proper bench but so far I have the following planes

LN 60 1/2
LN 4 1/2 Bronze
LN 62 Jack
LN #7
LN 041 small shoulder
LN 042 medium shoulder
LN 073 large shoulder

I think next on my list is a LN 071 router plane

Dave Anderson NH
05-01-2019, 10:36 AM
All I can says is, "a bunch". That includes 2 half sets of hollows and rounds, a passel of profile molders and snipe bills, and of course all of my bench and joinery planes. Don't even ask about spokeshaves. I'm not sure and I haven't, counted but it is at least 16 or 18. I made the body for another one Sunday as I was teaching a class on how to make a spokeshave for our NH guild.

Jacob Reverb
05-01-2019, 1:13 PM
Just the basics:
Record #5 Jack Plane
Stanley-Bailey #4 Smoother
Stanley-Bailey #7 Jointer
Stanley #40 Scrub Plane
Stanley #113 Circular Plane
Stanley #78 Rabbet Plane
Stanley Low-Angle Block Plane
Stanley #7½ Router Plane
Stanley #12 Scraper Plane
Stanley #80 Cabinet Scraper
Stanley Spokeshave
Kunz Spokeshave

lowell holmes
05-01-2019, 7:00 PM
I just thought I have a bunch of planes. :)

mike v flaim
05-01-2019, 9:18 PM
Stanley Bench planes 3, 4, 5, 5 1/4, 8, 10 1/2 rabbet, 40 scrub, 62 low angle
Stanley 112 scraper plane, 113 compass plane, 71 1/2 router
Veritas rabbet, English bullnose rabbet
Stanley 45, 55, Siegley combination plane, Record 50
Stanley 98, 99 side rabbets
stanley block planes 140, 65 and ohio tool low angle
Ohio Tool Co razee
Stanley 33 transitional with jointer fence
mixed half set of hollows and rounds
Ohio Tool moving fillister plane
Sandusky panel raising plane
tailed thumb plane
set of wooden side rabbets
set of wooden beading planes
adjustable sash molding plane
veneering plane
Stanley 78 duplex plane
Stanley 95 edge plane
radi-plane
50 molding planes with various profiles.

Mike

Derek Cohen
05-02-2019, 2:18 AM
I have a lot of handplanes - more than any sane person needs. I have a lot more curiosity than sanity. Nevertheless, when I am building, I tend to stick to a core and use just those.

The jack plane of choice is a woodie I built 10 years ago (the far left in the photo). It is dedicated to removal of waste with a 10" camber. (I do have another jack, a Stanley #605, which has two blades, and it generally goes with me to wood shows since it is more versatile).

The jointer of choice is a Veritas Custom #7 (far right). This has a 40 degree frog and is useful for not only end grain, but tearout-free face- and edge grain with the chipbreaker closed down. For short boards with narrow edges, the HNT Gordon Trying Plane excels. This has a 60 degree bed. Alternately, I may pull out a vintage Stanley #62, because it is extraordinarily light.

I have a couple of smoothers ready to go. It is generally a toss up between a Veritas Custom #4 (42 degree frog) and a LN #3 (45 degree frog), both using PM-V11 blades. I may pull out a Veritas BU Smoother (62 degree cutting angle) if needing a very fine shaving, as it excels in this.

I have a bunch of block planes. They are a little like using spokeshaves or chisels to me - fine tuning edges, chamfers, end grain ... The Veritas NX60 is an amazing plane to use and to hold. The new small pocket plane is very useful for tiny areas.

https://i.postimg.cc/9Xwn0FNR/Bench-planes.jpg

The plane that means the most to me - and I would grab first in a fire - is a rather nondescript smoother in Hornbeam (centre left), which was built by Jim Krenov.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Kurtis Johnson
05-02-2019, 1:57 PM
I see the names Siegley and Ohio Tool and I think, cool, now there's not your run of the mill assortment. I'd trade even my Stanley's for some of the Ohio Tool Co metal planes I've missed out on over the years. They appear of superior quality.

Kurtis Johnson
05-02-2019, 2:04 PM
Elegant set. Beautiful!

Ron Patrick
05-02-2019, 2:07 PM
I have just the right amount, except for that last one I need to pick up.

mike v flaim
05-02-2019, 8:03 PM
I see the names Siegley and Ohio Tool and I think, cool, now there's not your run of the mill assortment. I'd trade even my Stanley's for some of the Ohio Tool Co metal planes I've missed out on over the years. They appear of superior quality.

I just bought my Ohio Tool Co low angle block plane (sorry don't know the number) and fell so in love with it after tuning it up, I sold my Stanley 60 1/2. Ohio Tool Co made some seriously nice planes. If people knew how well they were made, they would be more valuable than Stanleys'.

Mike

John Sanford
05-02-2019, 9:08 PM
I would have to say probably about 20, doing this from memory while at work.

4 Block planes:

LN 601/2 Low Angle
Veritas NX60
Veritas Standard
LN Rabbet Block Plane

Bench Planes:
Veritas BU Jointer, Jack and LA Smoother
Veritas Custom #4, Custom #5(?) (I'm typing this at work while I wait for a job to finish up.)
LN #3
Record #4
Stanley #7 (modern - I think I sold this..., if not, I will.)
vintage #6C that needs refurbishing
LN Scrub plane

Joinery/Specialty
Veritas Large & Medium Shoulder Planes
Veritas Router Plane
Veritas LH & RH Skew Rabbet Planes
Veritas Small Plow Plane
Record #78(?)
Veritas Side Rabbet Plane (this thing is HANDY.)
Veritas Shooting Plane (pricey, but schwweeeeeet)

Yes, it's true. I probably paid for a semester of college for one of the Lee kids. ;)

I'm probably going to send the Veritas Block plane on down the road, possibly the Record #4. I'd like to get the Veritas Combination plane, and the Walken-Moore router plane looks pretty nifty. Rust hunting has no real appeal to me, which is why there's few vintage planes. I had several that I sold about a year or so ago. I actually have gotten more VALUE out of the joinery and specialty planes than the bench planes.

Günter VögelBerg
05-03-2019, 12:45 PM
Bed Rock 8
Bed Rock 7
Veritas bevel up jointer
Bed Rock 6
Lie-Nielsen 5 1/5
Veritas bevel up jack
Bed Rock 5
Lie-Nielsen 4 1/2
Bed Rock 4
Veritas "custom" smoother
Lie-Nielsen bevel up smoother
Sweetheart 3
old Stanley block plane
Lie-Nielsen block plan
Lie-Nielsen small block plane
Veritas block plane (the big one)
Lie-Nielsen rabbet block plane
Lie-Nielsen skew block plane
Stanley 90
Lie-Nielsen small shoulder
Veritas large shoulder
Lie-Nielsen 98/99
Lie-Nielsen 1/2 T/G plane
Lie-Nielsen 3/4 T/G plane
Record plough plane
Veritas skew rabbet plane
Grathobel (not sure name in English--for making sliding dovetails)
Lie-Nielsen scrub plane
a stack of old moulding planes in various states of utility

The only plane I feel I would like to add is an antique Norris smoothing plane. There are several on there I seldom use because I use machines for those operations, yet I cannot bring myself to part with them. When I list them all I feel like my tool consumption has become excessive.

Doug Dawson
05-03-2019, 12:56 PM
The only plane I feel I would like to add is an antique Norris smoothing plane.
What the infills had going for them IMO is the mass for their size. That's the role the Lie-Nielsen smoothers play in my kit. Or you could just glue lead weights to a Stanley. (If you like that sort of thing.)

Günter VögelBerg
05-03-2019, 1:09 PM
I just bought my Ohio Tool Co low angle block plane (sorry don't know the number) and fell so in love with it after tuning it up, I sold my Stanley 60 1/2. Ohio Tool Co made some seriously nice planes. If people knew how well they were made, they would be more valuable than Stanleys'.

Mike

Do they have the tapered irons? I had a few of their planes and they were pretty decent, but the irons were excellent. The planes were duplicates of Lie-Nielsen planes I had so I gave them to a friend and kept the irons. I have always intended to make wooden planed of some sort with them. They also have an unusual hexagon hole for the screw that joins the chipbreaker. I have a no. 4 size and a 5 1/2 size.

Jim Koepke
05-03-2019, 1:31 PM
Stanley 90

There are two Stanley #90 planes in my accumulation.

At least they are both rabbet/rebate type planes. The larger #90 was very inexpensive due to its being modified by a previous owner. To me it seems the opening up of the side has made the plane much more useable than its factory designed orientation. At the price it was offered it couldn't be refused.

Or you could just glue lead weights to a Stanley. (If you like that sort of thing.)

Maybe even a cast infill?

jtk

lowell holmes
05-04-2019, 10:35 PM
I have two interesting hand planes. A 5 1/2 Bailey and a #6 Bailey. They are heavy, 3" wide. The 5 1/2 is 15" long and the 6 is 16" long.
They are both heavy planes. I also have a 604, 605, and 607 Bedrock planes. The Bedrocks have Hock irons and breakers.

Tom M King
05-05-2019, 9:59 AM
Almost enough.

Jacob Reverb
05-05-2019, 10:12 AM
I have just the right amount, except for that last one I need to pick up.

Just like pocket knives! :p

Jim Koepke
05-05-2019, 11:29 AM
How many hand planes do you have?

Why, do you have some for sale? :D :D :D

jtk

steven c newman
05-05-2019, 12:43 PM
Would appear that I am not allowed to show some of mine in action....
Fine...will go elsewhere...

Jim Koepke
05-05-2019, 12:58 PM
Would appear that I am not allowed to show some of mine in action....

Fine...will go elsewhere...

What?

Are we now having our photos edited without clarification as to why?

jtk

Günter VögelBerg
05-05-2019, 4:28 PM
Bed Rock 8
Bed Rock 7
Veritas bevel up jointer
Bed Rock 6
Lie-Nielsen 5 1/5
Veritas bevel up jack
Bed Rock 5
Lie-Nielsen 4 1/2
Bed Rock 4
Veritas "custom" smoother
Lie-Nielsen bevel up smoother
Sweetheart 3
old Stanley block plane
Lie-Nielsen block plan
Lie-Nielsen small block plane
Veritas block plane (the big one)
Lie-Nielsen rabbet block plane
Lie-Nielsen skew block plane
Stanley 90
Lie-Nielsen small shoulder
Veritas large shoulder
Lie-Nielsen 98/99
Lie-Nielsen 1/2 T/G plane
Lie-Nielsen 3/4 T/G plane
Record plough plane
Veritas skew rabbet plane
Grathobel (not sure name in English--for making sliding dovetails)
Lie-Nielsen scrub plane
a stack of old moulding planes in various states of utility

The only plane I feel I would like to add is an antique Norris smoothing plane. There are several on there I seldom use because I use machines for those operations, yet I cannot bring myself to part with them. When I list them all I feel like my tool consumption has become excessive.

forgot:
Veritas large router
Veritas small router
Lie-Nielsen chisel plane
Lie-Nielsen small scraping plane

Steve Clardy
05-05-2019, 11:18 PM
Down to about 20 after clearing out a collection of over 250 about 3-4 years ago.

Chris Wolf
05-26-2019, 8:37 AM
About 31, after selling a Preston Mfg. router plane last week.

Stanley #2, 3, 4C, 5, 7C, 62, 65, 75, 78.
Clifton #4, 410
Veritas medium shoulder, router, pair of skew rabbets, and flat, round, and concave spokeshaves
Lie-Nielsen 60-1/2, 62, 95, 102
Kunz #80
Two vintage shop-made router planes
Six wood-bodied: scrub plane, 3 molding, chamfer, brass sole

I've probably owned 20 or more additional ones that I've sold.

Jim Koepke
05-26-2019, 10:39 AM
Maybe it is time for an intervention or something. A few days ago another one came home with me:

It is a fine little plane.

jtk

Jon M Phillips
05-29-2019, 12:01 AM
I think I need my wife to peruse this thread. She asks why I have the 10 I have.

Warren Mickley
05-29-2019, 11:00 AM
I think I need my wife to peruse this thread. She asks why I have the 10 I have.

Welcome to the forum Jon. Ten bench planes is about the perfect number for a two person shop. Maybe you can interest your wife in joining you.

Chuck Nickerson
05-30-2019, 1:02 PM
How many planes? Are you a shill for my wife? j/k

Drake Daggett
05-30-2019, 4:45 PM
I have seven. I have a 604, 605, 607 Bedrocks and a 5 1/2 Bailey. The other three are Baileys as well. I have Hock irons and breakers on them.

Does anyone have a Holtey?