PDA

View Full Version : Pin Oak?

Woodie Smyth
12-09-2005, 7:02 PM
Has anyone here ever worked with pin oak wood?
I am looking for info about the drying time & dried characteristics of this wood.
I plan to cut 6X8 cants & eventually stack them for a "log" cabin.
Any info is appreciated.

Quinn McCarthy
12-12-2005, 10:11 AM
Woodie

You should post this question on WoodWeb.com. They have a drying and kiln drying forum. My guess is that it is so closely related to red oak that the characteristics would be the same. I know many sawmills lump all of the red oak family together at the mill. A lot of pin oak gets mixed right in.

Travis Porter
12-12-2005, 11:07 AM
I acquired two trees of this from a church about 8 years ago. Both were in excess of 36 inch diameter. It is all what I would term white oak. I had it sawed into 4/4 and 8/4 boards. Some quartersawn as well. I live in NC, so I had a friend with a tobacco barn that I have been storing it in. I put plastic down and stickered it and have been using it up over the years. The rule of thumb on 1 year per inch of thickness applied pretty well. Overall, it works well. I would say it splinters and tears out a bit more than I am accustomed to with oak, almost like working with cherry. It also in some pieces has pin size worm holes that I let go. A lot of I guess you would call spalting, and some inconsistency in color, but I would do it again. Out of these two tree I ended up getting around 10,000 board feet (they were huge), and if memory serves correct it cost me around $1,000 to get done.