PDA

View Full Version : Window Replacement??

John Terefenko
04-27-2019, 10:31 PM
I have started the process of looking for replacement windows and sliding patio door and also Bay Window. I am looking to do just replacements (sash and tracks as a unit) I have checked Replacement windows by Anderson with their different window material and they are very expensive.

Today I looked at Sunrise Windows (Restoration grade) Has anyone used these windows and can you give some feedback?? Talked to a salesman and of course he had all the data to show they are the best windows on the market and made comparisons to others. I told him that if I talked to each company they would do the exact same thing. So I am throwing it out here to see if anyone has these windows and what their thoughts are?? Thanks.

Patrick Walsh
04-27-2019, 11:37 PM
Buy the best you can afford imop..

Cheap windows Re just that, cheap..

I’m a cabinet maker and former custom home builder. I wouldn’t put anything in my house other than Marvin, kolbe, or paella. And I wouldn’t use anything but their top of the line offering.

I did all the widows in my 1926 1600 sqft bungalow a few years ago with Marvin replacements well I did six new construction also. I think the total was like $22k delivered not installed. I dont regret the purchase.

John Terefenko
04-27-2019, 11:56 PM
Buy the best you can afford imop..

Cheap windows Re just that, cheap..

I’m a cabinet maker and former custom home builder. I wouldn’t put anything in my house other than Marvin, kolbe, or paella. And I wouldn’t use anything but their top of the line offering.

I did all the widows in my 1926 1600 sqft bungalow a few years ago with Marvin replacements well I did six new construction also. I think the total was like $22k delivered not installed. I dont regret the purchase.

These windows are suppose to be better than any of those and they are definitely not cheap. But looking for someone who has used them.

Bill Carey
04-28-2019, 8:47 AM
John - I live in an old farm house built in 1892, and between the shop and my 2nd floor office, and the 4 bedroom house, we have 33 Sunrise windows. Most were installed about 15 years ago, before we bought the place, but I've had 3 more installed. They are split about 50/50 between doublehungs and awnings. The dblhungs all work flawlessly, tilt in for cleaning, have both locks and vent locks, and not one has blown a seal and fogged yet. Same for the awning windows, and I have not even had a crank come off yet. I have no complaints at all. The crew who put them in for me did an excellent job, and were in and out quickly. They took the old dblhungs out, removed the parting and blind stops, wrapped the exterior and new blind stop with aluminum, installed the window, caulked and actually cleaned up.

They are not cheap windows - they are reasonably priced. Pay for the big name marketing if you want, but in my experience you don't need to.

Jeff Bartley
04-28-2019, 10:17 AM
John,

How old are the windows in your house? And how old is your house?

If historic I would encourage you to restore and weatherseal your existing windows and then put on good storm windows.

Lisa Starr
04-28-2019, 12:29 PM
My put Marvin sash kits in my previous home. That prevented losing a lot of glass area as most replacement window do. I installed them myself, from the inside, so no need for the big ladders that I can't handle by myself. I was only there 4 years after installing them, but they worked great and showed no signs of failing glass seals etc. I used Aluminum Clad.

John Terefenko
04-28-2019, 2:01 PM
John,

How old are the windows in your house? And how old is your house?

If historic I would encourage you to restore and weatherseal your existing windows and then put on good storm windows.

Oh I am in no danger there. I have been here 35 years and say the house was built early 1970's Have to look. I have the old single pane windows with storm windows on. The person I talked to did a good job explaining but have not given the go to get an estimate yet. Just getting my feet wet in this area for now. They looked like a nice window and being their top grade line they have some good selling points. I did have Renewal by Anderson down and his estimate is very high, even with all the sales pitches. This is a ranch house so installation is simple. I will be getting siding and new roof next year so any construction they need to do is fine with me especially with the patio door and bay window.

Lee Schierer
04-28-2019, 2:34 PM
About 20 years ago we replaced 23 windows in our house with Great Lakes Gold vinyl windows (https://greatlakeswindow.com/). They come with a lifetime warranty. Since then we have had two thermopanes leak and the company promptly sent replacement sealed window glass units that fit perfectly. We have had no other problems with our windows. These were vinyl replacement windows, some were double hung and some were side sliders. The double hung windows all tilt in for ease of cleaning.

John Terefenko
04-28-2019, 4:18 PM
I am really looking for owners of these windows. They too come with lifetime warrenty that is transferrable if selling house. They have triple pane glass with block and tackle mechanism and not springs.

Jerome Stanek
04-28-2019, 5:34 PM
If you are residing your house I would get new construction windows. I did this about 10 years ago and I am happy that I did. better windows and better sealing.

Dave Zellers
04-28-2019, 6:30 PM
If you are residing your house I would get new construction windows. I did this about 10 years ago and I am happy that I did. better windows and better sealing.

Exactly this.

Jerry Bruette
04-28-2019, 6:52 PM
I don't own Sunrise windows so I have no personal opinion on them. You can find reviews on several windows, new and replacement, vinyl and other materials at Thewindowdog.com.

I ordered Marvin Infinity windows a couple weeks ago. They're fiberglass and have to be installed by a dealer.

Lisa Starr
04-28-2019, 7:39 PM
Jerry - they have to be installed by a contractor, but not a dealer. Hopefully you're not being "up charged" by the contractor trying to limit your choices.

Ron Citerone
04-28-2019, 8:28 PM

X3 I just had this done at my cottage and it my friend who is a builder did it and recommended it too.

John Terefenko
04-28-2019, 11:40 PM
Will not use new construction windows because rooms are finished and moldings in place and not starting over again. Thanks for the suggestion though. Thewindowdog.com. I have read reviews on there. Most are good but always have one or two bad ones.

Dave Zellers
04-29-2019, 12:06 AM
Will not use new construction windows because rooms are finished and moldings in place and not starting over again.

Totally understand. As a carpenter, redoing the interior trim, would mean nothing to me. But I acknowledge your situation.

You gotta do what you gotta do.

John Terefenko
04-29-2019, 1:00 AM
Yes all I want is insert replacements on the double hungs and new patio door and bay window. I am just so confused with all these brands and not know if one is better than another seems to be a crap shoot. i am trying to gather information and also questions to ask these dealers as I go through them. Reading reviews on sites is nice but not all reviews are from your area so different contractors and dealers. Oh the agony.

Phil Mueller
04-29-2019, 8:32 AM
I’ve heard many times that it’s more important to get a good quality installer. When I went through this last year, I researched the installers first, then went with a window recommendation from them.

Rich Lester
04-29-2019, 1:11 PM
I am really looking for owners of these windows. They too come with lifetime warrenty that is transferrable if selling house. They have triple pane glass with block and tackle mechanism and not springs.

Just a side note...Block and tackle mechanism rely on springs to counter balance the weight of the sash.
Be careful of what sales people put out there. If you have anything that hits you as questionable Google is your friend for great explanations on technical jargon they may throw at you.

John Terefenko
04-29-2019, 1:57 PM
Just a side note...Block and tackle mechanism rely on springs to counter balance the weight of the sash.
Be careful of what sales people put out there. If you have anything that hits you as questionable Google is your friend for great explanations on technical jargon they may throw at you.

He said it and most reviews I read that this system is used in higher end windows.

Jim Andrew
04-29-2019, 2:29 PM
I built my house new in '81, using casement windows. Forgot the brand, but replaced them after 15 or 16 years with Pella casement, clad, and need to put new ones in again now. Ordered sliding windows this time, as you can get them in the same sizes as casement. Brand I bought this time is Jeld_Wen, ordered them during the crazy days sale at Menards. 17% off sale. I am using windows with flanges, so they an be fastened in from the outside, and use the wide sealing tape. I will have to re trim, and remove some siding to put them in, will be installing smart trim around them this time, with screws so the trim can be removed and pull the window out to replace them the next time. NO windows are worth big money, IMHO they are all made with a 15 year life span.

Rich Lester
04-29-2019, 3:43 PM
John,

I just wanted to point out that all window balances that I'm aware of use a spring of some type just in different ways so for a sales person to say that there are no springs involved in the balance system is a fallacy. You can find debate on all issues of things when it comes to buying windows from glass type with coatings to what surface the coating is on to the type of balances used to the material the window is made of, vinyl, wood, composite....all these factors and more are what drives the cost of a window. Personal experience in my own home, I bought and installed wood windows with aluminum exterior cladding 25 years ago from a manufacturer that is now defunct. In that time I have had to replace two glass panel units due to failed seals and balances on two of the 16 windows that I installed due to failure of the balance not being sized correctly for the weight of the sashes. These windows are showing their age as the exterior glass surfaces are getting harder to clean due to weather exposure and the paint surfaces of the aluminum cladding are, like all exterior painted surfaces, getting bad. It is a daunting task trying to make heads or tails of the information but it is not unlike making any large purchase, it shouldn't be a crap shoot. Research the jargon that the sales people use, like "our windows have LowE glass", to help you compare apples to apples and make an informed decision. Read personal reviews but don't rely on them totally since you can't tell which ones have been bought and paid for. Good luck, I'll probably find myself in the same boat in the next couple years and hopefully remember what I wrote here today.

John Terefenko
04-30-2019, 12:26 AM
I built my house new in '81, using casement windows. Forgot the brand, but replaced them after 15 or 16 years with Pella casement, clad, and need to put new ones in again now. Ordered sliding windows this time, as you can get them in the same sizes as casement. Brand I bought this time is Jeld_Wen, ordered them during the crazy days sale at Menards. 17% off sale. I am using windows with flanges, so they an be fastened in from the outside, and use the wide sealing tape. I will have to re trim, and remove some siding to put them in, will be installing smart trim around them this time, with screws so the trim can be removed and pull the window out to replace them the next time. NO windows are worth big money, IMHO they are all made with a 15 year life span.
Sure does not sound like you saved any money doing that 3 times. I am going to look into these more.

John Terefenko
04-30-2019, 12:30 AM
John,

I just wanted to point out that all window balances that I'm aware of use a spring of some type just in different ways so for a sales person to say that there are no springs involved in the balance system is a fallacy. You can find debate on all issues of things when it comes to buying windows from glass type with coatings to what surface the coating is on to the type of balances used to the material the window is made of, vinyl, wood, composite....all these factors and more are what drives the cost of a window. Personal experience in my own home, I bought and installed wood windows with aluminum exterior cladding 25 years ago from a manufacturer that is now defunct. In that time I have had to replace two glass panel units due to failed seals and balances on two of the 16 windows that I installed due to failure of the balance not being sized correctly for the weight of the sashes. These windows are showing their age as the exterior glass surfaces are getting harder to clean due to weather exposure and the paint surfaces of the aluminum cladding are, like all exterior painted surfaces, getting bad. It is a daunting task trying to make heads or tails of the information but it is not unlike making any large purchase, it shouldn't be a crap shoot. Research the jargon that the sales people use, like "our windows have LowE glass", to help you compare apples to apples and make an informed decision. Read personal reviews but don't rely on them totally since you can't tell which ones have been bought and paid for. Good luck, I'll probably find myself in the same boat in the next couple years and hopefully remember what I wrote here today.

Yes Rich he never said it did not have springs, he just said it used a block and tackle system which you find on higer end windows. I have springs on mine and my parents had those spiral springs that just did not hold well. Never remembered the name of those windows but they were construction grade and had glass failures.

It is daunting to say the least but I need to get this done as I try to complete my house and a couple years with upgrades. Never bought windows before so this is all new. But when done I am sure to have more knowledge than what I started with for sure.

Jerome Stanek
04-30-2019, 7:27 AM

I have had an Andersen bow window and Caradco windows in my house for 35 years and just replaced the Cradco as the seals were starting to go and I didn't want to paint them again. The Andersen is still like new.

Zachary Hoyt
05-01-2019, 1:00 PM
We bought 12 30x60" Xact brand windows on sale for about $150 a piece from our local lumberyard 14 years ago when we were repairing the old farmhouse here and they have done fine, they are double hung and low E glass and came with built in J channel for vinyl siding and we have had no problems with them yet. I have bought various other windows over the years from the same place and they have all been good. I would not personally want to spend a lot of money on windows, but I am a cheapskate and always have been. I always get new construction windows, they do seal better with the nailing flange all the way around and are easy to install.
Zach

lowell holmes
05-05-2019, 7:46 PM
I would find some one that has their windows and see if they are happy. You are going to spend a lot of money doing the job. If they will not provide you with references, I would probably look around.

There is a reason Anderson windows are expensive, go look at them and then at the windows you are considering.

John Terefenko
05-05-2019, 11:15 PM
I would find some one that has their windows and see if they are happy. You are going to spend a lot of money doing the job. If they will not provide you with references, I would probably look around.

There is a reason Anderson windows are expensive, go look at them and then at the windows you are considering.

I did just that Friday and was not impressed. The match up was with their 400 series. The thing that scares me with clad windows is I have heard stories about them peeling. I do have references and did drive by the houses and was hoping to see someone out side to stop and ask. I will drive by a few more times. Sunrise windows Restoration series is a nice window and the doors are also. Still doing some homework but leaning more and more toward them because so far Marvin, Anderson and Renewal by Anderson are more expensive and I am not seeing more value for my dollar. There are bad reviews in all aspects of construction but how they stand behind them is key.

Dave Zellers
05-06-2019, 1:52 AM
Here's the thing with clad windows-

They don't last forever but they are maintenance free up to the point where they fail. They will last 20 - 30 years. I am now replacing my Andersen clad windows right at 30 years. It's a pain but at the same time it was great not having to paint them ever since we built our house 30 years ago.

You can absolutely buy windows that will last potentially forever but they will be made out of wood or today, a composite, but either way they will require regular maintenance, ie painting every 3 years or so. Clad windows are not about lasting forever. They are about being maintenance free- until the vinyl fails and they have to be replaced.

Choose your poison. As a carpenter here in New England I have seen and worked on windows over a hundred years old. Many in beautiful shape because they have been maintained meticulously over the decades. But today they are often casually replaced because they are single pane and obviously not efficient. Very sad to watch a window that I know was built on site from scratch by master craftsmen just be ripped out and sent on it's way to the dump. A storm window could prevent that but time marches on.

Anyhoo, the point is no more complicated then the classic, pay me now or pay me later. If you want windows that will last forever, maintain (paint) them regularly. Or buy clad windows, live a maintenance free life and let others deal with replacing them after you're gone.

Now that I review this rambling of mine, clad windows might just very well be the proverbial free lunch!*

*as long as you die before the windows.:p

Realistically, technology will likely continue to improve going forward that replacing outdated windows will make sense for some time.