PDA

View Full Version : Replace belts on 1023 TS?

Ole Anderson
04-27-2019, 8:50 PM
Other than sawdust removal, I really haven't ventured beneath the top of my 20 year old Grizzly 1023. I can tell it needs cleaning and greasing. Any tips?

Also wondering it it would be worth while to replace the motor and drive pulleys and go with a serpentine style belt rather than the triple belt now there? Is an idler pulley needed?

Matt Day
04-27-2019, 9:03 PM
Assuming you can realign the table, removing the table and giving it a good cleaning and lubing is a good idea after 20 years. Should be no reason to replace the motor unless it lets out the magic smoke. Belts need replacing when frayed. Removing them and checking the arbor and motor bearings is a good idea too.

A clogged belt might help vibration a bit.

Curt Harms
04-28-2019, 6:30 AM
Removing the top isn't a huge deal, just keep track of any shims between the cabinet and top. I replaced the original belts with link belts to help with vibration before I learned that I shouldn't have done that. I've encountered no obvious problem with them so am not inclined to change them. If I were doing it again and wanted to replace the original belts I'd probably use AX/cogged belts. Those are supposed to not take a set. There are matched sets (matched for length) available but conventional wisdom says with modern manufacturing techniques length doesn't vary enough to matter. I used 'teflon' spray lube on the height and tilt mechanism others advocate wax, just something that doesn't hold sawdust.

Bill Space
04-28-2019, 7:39 AM
20 years of what sounds like trouble free operation does not point to the need to modify anything from where I stand.

My 1023RLWX does have a serpentine belt which I found desirable, but if I were in your shoes I would keep the saw as is. Granted it would be a good idea to inspect the pulleys and belts and replace as needed. No need to redesign a proven product though.

My perspective anyway. But each coin has two sides. If you enjoy modifying things, conversion to the serpentine belt could be a fun project. :)

Ole Anderson
04-28-2019, 9:25 AM
I did email Grizzly to see if they have a pulley/belt conversion kit, waiting for a response.