PDA

View Full Version : SCM T160 L'invincible spindle moulder

Greg Sherlock
04-27-2019, 8:06 PM
Hi all
Have just found Jeff Duncan's post on the T160 & I am in the same situation.I have just purchased the moulder from a deceased estate but all the main spindle has been pulled out for repair.
I have tried to get a spare parts manual & description of parts from England, America & Australia . Every manual they have supplied says T 160 on the front couple of pages but when you go further everything is for T160A which doesn't have the oil bath at the bottom.
In the bottom there seems that a bearing & seal are missing & maybe some type of spinner to send oil up to the top.
Hoping Jeff Duncan or some one may have a manual.
Cheers
Greg

Darcy Warner
04-27-2019, 8:53 PM
Hi all
Have just found Jeff Duncan's post on the T160 & I am in the same situation.I have just purchased the moulder from a deceased estate but all the main spindle has been pulled out for repair.
I have tried to get a spare parts manual & description of parts from England, America & Australia . Every manual they have supplied says T 160 on the front couple of pages but when you go further everything is for T160A which doesn't have the oil bath at the bottom.
In the bottom there seems that a bearing & seal are missing & maybe some type of spinner to send oil up to the top.
Hoping Jeff Duncan or some one may have a manual.
Cheers
Greg

This makes about 8 of these I know of now. I have one running and one with a stuck spindle. I believe the ones with the oil sump were a 1969 only. SCM denys they made one and I have not been able to track down any sort of manual.

Greg Sherlock
04-28-2019, 6:34 AM
Thanks for the info

Jeff Duncan
04-28-2019, 10:38 AM
Hey Greg, I'm going to refer you to someone who goes by Heimlega over at the OWWM site. He just rebuilt his and will be a much more reliable source for information than I will.... my memory is terrible! Just search T-160 and it should pop up as he just did his several months back. My rebuild should also pop up as well and there's probably some good info and pics there to help you along.

There is definitely a bearing in the very bottom with a rubber seal. The oil pumps are deceptive, well at least to my simple brain, as there's not much to indicate that its a pump at all! It's hard to explain as it's been awhile since I had mine apart, but I believe it's centrifugal force that sends the oil up, so no fins are anything resembling a pump.

I do have a manual as well though it's probably the same one you have. I can tell you the machine is worth the investment as they really are beasts. Once you get it running again it should last your lifetime! The one potential Achilles heal on them is the splined hub. It's made of a material that resembles Bakelite and can and will wear over time. I haven't enquired b/c mine was in good shape having been replaced 30 years ago or so, but I'm not optimistic SCM would have them anymore:confused: Though if necessary one could probably get a new one milled out of say bronze(?) from a competent machinist.

good luck and keep us posted,
JeffD

Greg Sherlock
04-29-2019, 6:45 AM
Thanks Jeff I will try him.
I did notice in your pics that a parts list you posted has 160 on it , & is different to what I have, would you have any more just on that bottom end section that you could put up or email me.
Anything would be greatly appreciated.
Greg
sherlockgs@gmail.cm

Greg Sherlock
04-29-2019, 6:46 AM
Email
sherlockgs@gmail.com

Jeff Duncan
04-30-2019, 7:39 PM
Thanks Jeff I will try him.
I did notice in your pics that a parts list you posted has 160 on it , & is different to what I have, would you have any more just on that bottom end section that you could put up or email me.
Anything would be greatly appreciated.
Greg
sherlockgs@gmail.cm

Just wanted to let you know I'm not ignoring you.... just started up a huge project at the shop and haven't had a chance to dig through and find the SCM stuff yet. I'll will try and get to it asap though!

Jeff

Jeff Duncan
05-04-2019, 5:27 PM
OK just sent you everything I have.... good luck!

Jeff