PDA

View Full Version : fixed a door

Mike Evertsen
07-05-2003, 5:26 PM
I fixed a cabinet door for a client it's a custom made door (not by me)
it broke down the grain I glued it with yellow glue she was very happy took it home now it's been a week she called me this morning it opened up and was loose,,by the time she got here (20 min)it closed up and tight again I could not break the glue line,,I know the problem her house is air conditioned my shop isn't and the humidity is high right now,,,,I don't know the solution my thought is to let her take it home when it loosens up on the glue line pull it apart.
I'm thinking using poly glue ,,,,,,any other ideas

Steve Clardy
07-05-2003, 5:36 PM
Mike, you didn't say whether its a stile, rail, or panel, If its a rail or stile, how about putting a dowel through the side, through the width of it. It would be mostly hidden. Steve

Bobby Hatfield
07-05-2003, 7:48 PM
I fixed a cabinet door for a client it's a custom made door (not by me)
it broke down the grain I glued it with yellow glue she was very happy took it home now it's been a week she called me this morning it opened up and was loose,,by the time she got here (20 min)it closed up and tight again I could not break the glue line,,I know the problem her house is air conditioned my shop isn't and the humidity is high right now,,,,I don't know the solution my thought is to let her take it home when it loosens up on the glue line pull it apart.
I'm thinking using poly glue ,,,,,,any other ideas

Nope, didn't do it, she is seeing something else Mike, check the panel for movement sideways or another crack somewhere else on the door. Or better yet next time it happens, go over there and have her show you where its cracked open. Unless it is a hinge causing it to spring open another crack when opening the door. If the yellow glue did its job the first time it will not open up and close up within 20 minutes, air conditioner or not. When you find out what she is seeing, fix it, take a picture and post it.