PDA

View Full Version : Hey Lou! Can you give me your opinion

Gary Herrmann
12-09-2005, 3:34 PM
on this radial dp? I know you can't tell a lot from the pic, but is this a reasonable price and what gotchas would I need to look for? Thanks.

It's a Rockwell 15-120 (23" x 32" table) and he's asking $900. Serial # 1754882 if that provides any additional info.

Gary

Jim Dunn
12-09-2005, 3:39 PM
Hey Gary, don't call me to help you move that beast into your basement:eek: Course I'd like to see it all set up.:D

Gary Herrmann
12-09-2005, 3:50 PM
That if I can even get if I want it. It'll probably turn out to be a great deal and be gone already. I don't even want to think about how much it could weigh... 500lbs?

Jim Dunn
12-09-2005, 4:01 PM
At least!! course it could be taken apart and moved in pieces. A whole new world using Morse taper drill bits.

Gary Herrmann
12-09-2005, 4:26 PM
ARGH! It sold at 11am today! They dropped the price to $675! And it was 1 phase. Dang dang dang. :mad:

lou sansone
12-09-2005, 6:56 PM
hi gary
well judging from the last post I don't think I am going to be much help. But if it had not sold I would say .... buy buy buy.. If they get over 1 grand then you really should look at it in person, but there is not much that can go wrong with them. the chuck is held in place by a mt#1 I believe and it can sometimes sort of spin around inside the spindle and wear it out. that can be fixed or you can still get parts for the rockwell version of the machine. The other part that can get buggered up is the miter gear in the raising and lowering assembly. that is also replaceable, but I think it will set you back about 100 bucks for the gears.

other than that they are fine machines. this is a newer on on the welded base as opposed to the art deco base that is much nicer looking. I think alan turner has one on the art deco base.
well keep hunting
:)
lou

Alan Turner
12-09-2005, 8:09 PM
From the little I know, and it may be from Lou, the welded bases began about 1966. This guy should have a 6" throw. I have one, and it is set up and wired, but I have not yet cleaned it up or used it, except to see that it works. I picked up some T-nuts, and will add a BB aux. table right on top of the cast one so that I am not drilling into iron. There is no hole, such as on a regular DP. I have a reg. drill press as well, a Delta variable speed, but it needs a new chuck. It also has a foot actualtion, but I don't know if I will like that or not.

Gary Herrmann
12-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Thanks guys. The guy said he gets them in periodically and would keep his eyes open for me.

lou sansone
12-10-2005, 7:25 AM
Thanks guys. The guy said he gets them in periodically and would keep his eyes open for me.

gary.... please ask him about keeping an eye out for me. I just need the drilling head. I have the walker turner head on mine and the rockwell head will also fit. the rockwell head is much superior to the WT.

thanks
lou

Jim Dunn
12-10-2005, 10:47 AM
Gary is this "guy" in St. Louis?

Gary Herrmann
12-10-2005, 11:25 AM
No, a friend of a friend on the coast. I'd like to find a contact that deals in older machinery here in town, but haven't met anyone yet.

tod evans
12-10-2005, 11:28 AM
try wally holloway, holloway industrial services in springfield mo. tod

Gary Herrmann
12-10-2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks Tod, I'll do that.

Steve Stube
12-10-2005, 1:12 PM
#2 M.T.
little over 800 pounds with the art deco base.
6" WT and 6" Rockwell looked the same to me (I have owned both, still have one like in the photo) maybe I missed something.
A grand id a good deal IMHO for a used but not abused unit. In another thread I pointed out one on eBay that sold for $385. . You can wait a long time to find that kind of deal but they are/do come along from time to time.