PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Pump oil - Replacement type?

Roger Chandler
04-25-2019, 12:24 PM
What do those of you who have a vacuum pump that uses oil use for replacement oil? My Harbor Freight 3 cfm, 2 stage vac pump came with a bottle of oil that is clear, with no amber color at all. It looks like it is probably a "break in" oil that should be used for a short time, then drained out and replaced with some thicker oil.

My question is do you use regular air compressor oil in your vacuum chuck? A vacuum pump is a compressor of sorts, and I just want to make sure I am thinking correctly, so as not to damage the pump.

I am upgrading my vacuum chuck system from the Hold Fast Venturi system, and I purchased the vacuum chuck head that screws on the spindle of the lathe from Harrison Specialties. It is a very robust and well made chuck from aircraft aluminum. I'm looking forward to turning my first project with this system soon.

I bought the vacuum pump at least 3 years ago, and its been sitting new in the box until now. I am venting the oil mist via a 1/2" hard plastic tube into a lidded 1 gallon can, with a 1/2" hole in the top, with blue shop towels inside as an absorbtion agent. A shout out and many thanks to Richard Coors for this problem solving exhaust solution! :)

Alex Zeller
04-25-2019, 5:20 PM
Don't use compressor oil. Chances are you don't need to change it. You need something that's rated to be under vacuum. You should use a PTFE or PFPE oil. It would be best if you knew what came with the pump or at least what viscosity it should be. At work we use Fomblin. It's clear and about the same viscosity as 10w30 motor oil. We have pumps that run non-stop for years without ever changing the oil. If it's clear I would say you are fine. I do know it's not recommended to mix different types. Regular oil will outgas and you'll never be able to pump down anywhere near a total vacuum.

Tom M King
04-25-2019, 5:26 PM
You can buy vacuum pump oil from about any auto parts store, or order it from Amazon even.
https://www.amazon.com/Robinair-13203-Premium-High-Vacuum/dp/B000X1E59S

david privett
04-25-2019, 8:29 PM
a air conditioner parts house too . all a/c systems need vacuum pumps to evacuate the systems , so they got the oil.

Jason Roehl
04-26-2019, 6:37 AM
I don't know about your particular vacuum pump, but having dealt with A/C vacuum pumps a little, I know that the oil is very hygroscopic, as water vapor is one difficult hindrance to pulling a good vacuum in an A/C system. That oil is recommended to be changed quite frequently--as in every 2-3 new systems that get vacuum pulled on them.

Jeff Jackson
04-27-2019, 8:30 AM
I got mine from Napa Auto Parts.

jon minerich
04-27-2019, 1:27 PM
I concur with the others. I got mine at Advance Auto parts.