PDA

View Full Version : Pin Nailer Question

Ed Gibbons
04-24-2019, 10:20 AM
Does a pin nailer do more than just hold a piece stable while the glue dries?

andy bessette
04-24-2019, 10:49 AM
That's what it's for.

lowell holmes
04-24-2019, 11:12 AM
If you are nailing a picture frame , glue is not needed.

Jim Becker
04-24-2019, 11:39 AM
Does a pin nailer do more than just hold a piece stable while the glue dries?

23 gage pins obviously have less "structural" hold to them because a) the fasteners are very thin wire and b) they have no heads to resist pull-through. That said, shooting them at random angles helps add to the holding power when a little more can help. But in the end, the glue is what does the real work for any permanent joint. I use my pinner for a lot of temporary holding, too...jigs, etc...because it's easy to take things apart afterward and pull out the fasteners with pliers.

Paul F Franklin
04-24-2019, 12:04 PM
I use them without glue for small moldings, glass stop, even shoe molding when running base. Often the tiny hole doesn't need to be filled, and if it does, it's easy to do it and make it disappear.

Ed Gibbons
04-24-2019, 1:22 PM
23 gage pins obviously have less "structural" hold to them because a) the fasteners are very thin wire and b) they have no heads to resist pull-through. That said, shooting them at random angles helps add to the holding power when a little more can help. But in the end, the glue is what does the real work for any permanent joint. I use my pinner for a lot of temporary holding, too...jigs, etc...because it's easy to take things apart afterward and pull out the fasteners with pliers.

Jim,
I saw that you have a Grex. Which model do you have?
Thanks,
Ed

Jim Becker
04-24-2019, 7:48 PM
Jim,
I saw that you have a Grex. Which model do you have?
Thanks,
Ed

P635 purchased in 2008. I love it.

scott vroom
04-24-2019, 9:37 PM
I use my Grex P635 pin nailer primarily for 1/4" dadoed cabinet backs and drawer bottoms. Locks things up square and eliminates the slight gap between 1/4" panel and cabinet case and drawer sides. It's also used to tack cabinet top/bottom panels square to sides before driving screws. And for numerous other applications.