PDA

View Full Version : 4mm acrylic sheets? or 1/8 LED sign base

Nick Andraka
04-23-2019, 7:49 PM
The sign bases I have purchased (Amazon) are for 4mm acrylic, the 1/8" is to loose and my 3/16 signs do not fit in the slot.
I have searched and found no US distributor of 4mm cast acrylic. and I can not find the bases for 1/8 sheets.

Any ideas?

Nick

Joe Pelonio
04-23-2019, 9:40 PM
Tap Plastics has it in 1/8” or 4.5mm. Odd that Amazon is selling bases that are not for standard thicknesses.

Nick Andraka
04-23-2019, 10:56 PM
Those round "hockey puck" bases that come with a remote for ~5.00 are from China, they work great.
But the standard thicknesses in the rest of the word (outside the US) is metric.
Those bases are made for a 4mm sheet, a 1/8" flops around, the 3/16 will not fit.

Clark Hussey
04-24-2019, 6:47 PM
Wrap a piece of electrical tap around the base of your acrylic. It will snug it up in the base and give you better light diffusion.

Nick Andraka
04-24-2019, 8:16 PM
You know it will work, I know it will work. But giving someone a gift with some "duct tape" wrapped around it to make it fit,, just doesn't look good :)

Found some 4mm on ebay,, but literally twice the price of 1/8"
It is actually kinda funny, the Chinese are flooding the US market with nice, cheap LED acrylic sign bases,, made for metric sized acrylic that is not available in the US,, opps :)

Wrap a piece of electrical tap around the base of your acrylic. It will snug it up in the base and give you better light diffusion.

Bert Kemp
04-25-2019, 11:54 AM
the 4mm on ebay will be sloppy also as its not true 4mm
pretty easy to make your own LED wood base if it for a gift you'll be much happier with a custom made base.

Kev Williams
04-25-2019, 12:06 PM
^ ^ ^

What are these sign bases, wood, acrylic, anything you can buy yourself without a slot?

A table saw with an 1/8" blade set to 10° and 1/4" deep will cut a perfect slot for an 1/8" thick sign...

--if you don't have a table saw, odds are you know someone who does ;)

Bert Kemp
04-25-2019, 12:12 PM
^ ^ ^

What are these sign bases, wood, acrylic, anything you can buy yourself without a slot?

A table saw with an 1/8" blade set to 10° and 1/4" deep will cut a perfect slot for an 1/8" thick sign...

--if you don't have a table saw, odds are you know someone who does ;)Kev there cheap plastic

Nick Andraka
04-25-2019, 5:03 PM
I have a wood/metal shop, but it's not worth my time.
The round black plastic "pucks" do the job. She can whip out a sign/picture and stuff it in a $5 puck and it is a fully functioning lighted example.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=led+acrylic+base&crid=39ROK546CPTZA&sprefix=led+acryl%2Caps%2C124&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_9

I have found the 4 packs with remotes on sale for $24

Ordered some of the 4mm material, we shall see.

Glen Monaghan
04-28-2019, 10:06 PM
Maybe you could cut a slotted rectangle out of acrylic as a filler. The rectangle would be 1/4" wide (slot width) and as long as the base's slot, and a 1/8" slot in the middle of the rectangle to snugly hold your acrylic panel. Cutting one rectangle from a thicker piece or stack multiple rectangles cut from 1/8" to get the depth you want (can join with a bit of weldon or cya) to keep your acrylic panel from wobbling front and back. A few minutes of waiting on the laser...

Scott Shepherd
04-29-2019, 10:48 AM
The bases I've seen over the years had a thick piece of felt like material around them, like weather stripping. It would allow you to use a variety of material thicknesses.

Trey Tull
05-06-2019, 9:06 AM
Any update on the 4mm acrylic sheet?

Nick Andraka
05-09-2019, 9:02 PM
Waiting for it to arrive,, I have my digital calipers ready :)

Bert Kemp
05-14-2019, 6:20 PM
Waiting for it to arrive,, I have my digital calipers ready :)

ust have got them by now what did you find?
M