PDA

View Full Version : painted trim transition from room to stained hallway

Jeremy Patrick
04-23-2019, 6:38 PM
I've been tossing this issue around in my head for a while now as the first floor projects are commencing. I started work on our upstairs bedroom with stained and finished jamb extensions, casing and baseboard. Solid core pine door for upstairs rooms too. Done with that and now slowly replacing the baseboard and casing in the rest of the house.
But.........
The existing doors and frames on the first floor are all white, with the cheap hollow core doors that just need to be gotten rid of. One room is aimed to be a nursery, the second a spare bedroom. Bathroom is light colored tile up to where casing should be. Other white doors are closets and the basement.
The nursery, spare bedroom and bathroom are ones my wife wants painted baseboard and trim in, white specifically.
Not too worried about the closet doors. Would be a change seeing a stained door vs white, but something we can adjust to for a better look.

So the question is, how does one transition from a painted trim inside one room to stained trim on the other side of the door?

Keep stained door theme throughout the house? or paint downstairs doors but leave upstairs stained?

Painting up to the stop moulding of the door frame from the inside, stain from that point on to meet the stained casing around the hallway door?

Too many questions!

Pointers from anyone?

Mel Fulks
04-23-2019, 7:16 PM
To me it's the light and dark, not paint or stain. Even a light stain can be dark compared to whites and popular light
colors. If the stain is a must ,I would put that on hall side.

Jeremy Patrick
04-23-2019, 7:36 PM
The hallway already has stained baseboard and trim, so the aim is to keep it stained, just replaced with a different style.

Jim Becker
04-23-2019, 8:09 PM
If you need to define a transition point, there are a number of ways to do that that can look nice. Here's the method I used at a client's home not long ago...it can also be used to "end" a baseboard cleanly for a height transition, such as at a stairway, even when the finish doesn't change.

408520 408521

These photos are before the threshold (which sparked the project) was finished. The blocks are the demark between the painted, simple baseboard of their new kitchen and the stained pine "Colonial" baseboard in the adjacent great room. In this case, the two baseboards were also of different heights. Here in our home, the contractor who built our addition used similar blocks to help define start-stop points at stairways/elevation changes as I noted.

Tom M King
04-23-2019, 8:20 PM
I always made the transition under the door stop. Stop gets either paint, or finish depending on what's in that room.

Jeremy Patrick
04-23-2019, 9:08 PM
I see what both of you are referring to but I think my scenario needs a picture.
In this picture it’s the current door and frame (obviously!). The replacement would be a pre hung 6 panel. Since we already have pine baseboard and casing throughout the entire house, it seems far easier to keep it that way.
But if a room were to have white baseboard and casing, I’m very uncertain how to transition.
So many pictures and postings show a stained door and white casing, or the opposite.
I’ve only come across one site that showed a door painted a different color on one side and edges, another color on the opposite side. The doorframe matches in terms of paint only going as far into the frame as is visible when the door is closed, opposite color paint going up to the same point to only be visible when viewing from the opposite side.
I suppose the same could be done with paint and stain but it seems to be up there in the extremely unique category.

Maybe the door frame could be stained up to the stop moulding, paint up to that in the same fashion, but leave the entire door stained and finished?

without experience seeing different jobs like you folks have, this leaves me clueless of how to ideally proceed.

Mel Fulks
04-23-2019, 9:32 PM
We have had a few (at least) threads about wanting to get rid of knotty pine look. Like everything it has devotees who want it all over the place. The display case you have ,and the things in it, make the pine seem out of place to me. You have good advice on transition.

Jeremy Patrick
04-23-2019, 10:30 PM
The current pine casing and baseboard were something I had to throw together last minute before I deployed. Was only in the house a few months before getting orders to ship out, so I tried to make it look a bit better for renters. A hodgepodge setup, yeah I suppose it is.

Anyway, for the sake of the discussion what is considered the style most would advise/suggest for this scenario?
White casing and baseboard throughout and keep doors stained?

wife hates it when I try and describe most of these projects, so if I can get a visual example of what is most advised then it’s something we can both go on to decide how we should proceed.

We’re not aiming for this to be our forever home, so I suppose getting a design down that will look like fits will help decently at the point we decide to sell.