PDA

View Full Version : Max Raised Panel Width

John S Richards
12-09-2005, 2:04 PM
I just wanted to double check myself on my maximum raised panel sizes for kitchen cabinet doors. With a router bit and a 3/8" groove I always limit my raised panel sizes to 18" because of wood movement of the RP. Now that I'm moving to a shaper with a deeper groove, 7/16" or 1/2", I figured my max panel width should be around 22". This is all assuming the use of KD lumber. I know AD lumber tends to move more.

So what do you consider the "Rule of Tumb" for max RP widths?

Thanks,

John

John Lucas
12-09-2005, 2:36 PM
That's interesting John. I never even thought of a mx size based on shrinkage and the groove depth factors. Makes sense. On the other hand, I think of raised panel sizes based on the design and look of the cabinet door. I use the Specifications section of Thomasville Furniture. All the basic cabs are inthere. http://www.thomasvillecabinetry.com/Products/Specifications.asp

As to your basic question, I still have a hard time contemplating a 22" wide raised panel door. Wouldnt you want to make that door as two panels for design sake?

John S Richards
12-09-2005, 2:42 PM
You are right John. I probably would want to reduce a 22" panel to two separate panels, but the design may warrant a single panel. You never know. The one thing you don't want to have happen is build a door with a 24" panel in the humid summer and have it shrink past the groove depth during the dry winter. I think the typical rule of thumb for wood movement is 1/4" for every 12" of width.

BTW, thanks for the link.

Thanks,

John

tod evans
12-09-2005, 2:49 PM
space balls. http://www.blackbridgeonline.com/ .02 tod

Quinn McCarthy
12-09-2005, 2:58 PM
You also have to consider the shaper cutter you intend on buying. 3/8 groove is common in shaper cutters as well so your guidelines for max. panel size would be the same. With 4" style width added on to the panel dimension you have a 22" door. In my opinion anything larger that that is a candidate for 2 doors.

John S Richards
12-09-2005, 3:03 PM
Yeap, use them.

John S Richards
12-09-2005, 3:08 PM
Yeap, a lot of shapers are 3/8" too. I'm going with a set of Freeborns for my 3 spindle shaper. They will have 7/16" groove.

Honestly 95% of my doors have panels less than 14". I have a number of entertainment center projects on the books with wide screen TVs that wider panels might look right to use.

This question popped into my head when I saw some photos where the RP seemed much wider than I would have (close to 25" at least for the overall door width). It made me question from a movement perspective if it should have been done. My immediate thoughts were no unless the guy used a 1/2" groove.

Thanks,

John