PDA

View Full Version : swivel casters on all corners under bandsaw?

Chuck Barnett
04-22-2019, 6:46 PM
I've a 17" Grizzly bandsaw that I maneuver 3 feet or so away from a wall. With the present base (2 fixed and 2 swivel casters) I find it challenging to work the saw back and forth to get it away from its spot parallel-parked along a wall. Why don't you see more bases with all four casters that swivel? Has anybody made something like this up?

Thank you,

Chuck Barnett (new to sawmill creek, tho I've stumbled across many threads over the last couple years)

Robert Hayward
04-22-2019, 7:35 PM
All my heavy machines are set up with four total locking swivel casters. That is all except the 3520b lathe that has a home made version of the lift lock and roll. I made the bases myself and offset the castors so the machine table raised off the floor less than an inch from stock height. Four swivel casters make it very easy to move machines around in my small shop. Total locking swivel is the type caster I used for my bases.

Jim Becker
04-22-2019, 7:43 PM
Four swiveling casters can make moving in tight spaces both easy and hard at the same time. :) If you go that route, be sure that they are all "double locking" casters and also that they all sit flat on the floor so the machine is absolutely stable when locked down and stationary for use. Depending on where you put it while cutting, you may or may not need to bend down and lock things by hand based on the current swivel position of the caster and proximity to other objects. Buy good quality casters...they are worth the money for both ease of use and safety with a top-heavy tool.

Rollie Meyers
04-22-2019, 9:46 PM
If there is no means to lock the casters it will move all over when trying to use the tool.

Don Jarvie
04-22-2019, 10:02 PM
Consider replacing the fixed casters in the current base with swivels. If you can’t find matching swivels replace all 4 of the same height.

Rod Sheridan
04-23-2019, 1:09 PM
I've a 17" Grizzly bandsaw that I maneuver 3 feet or so away from a wall. With the present base (2 fixed and 2 swivel casters) I find it challenging to work the saw back and forth to get it away from its spot parallel-parked along a wall. Why don't you see more bases with all four casters that swivel? Has anybody made something like this up?

Thank you,

Chuck Barnett (new to sawmill creek, tho I've stumbled across many threads over the last couple years)

Interesting, I park my saw against the wall and rotate it out when needed. Mine has 2 fixed wheels and is very maneuverable, I find that 4 swivel wheels tend to have a mind of their own....Rod.

Marc Jeske
04-23-2019, 4:11 PM
All swivel casters is best for multi directional unhindered movement, shorter distances.

Fixed casters advantage is longer distance straight rolling, like down long hallways. like grocery cart.

For that use, all swivel makes no sense.

All my mobile bases have all swivel... Love them.

Works by far best for me.

I have a rubbermaid 4 wheel cart,,, two swivel/ 2 fixed.

For my purposes, moving about in a 1200 ft 2 shop... EVERY time those damn fixed irritate me.

YMMV.

When designing putting all casters to anything, make sure the shifting center of gravity is considered.

On my 14" band saw and top heavy 1950's D/R drill press the mobile base frame extend out a few inches for a bigger footprint outrigger effect.

Marc

johnny means
04-23-2019, 8:11 PM
I put four Zambus type casters on my Centauro 600. The worked great and were super stable when lowered. Beware, regular swivel casters can shift your center of gravity quite a bit, making taller machines tipsy.