PDA

View Full Version : I sharpened my first saw today

Andrew Pitonyak
04-21-2019, 3:39 PM
I bought my daughter a Lee Valley 14 TPI dovetail saw. She has not been using it, so, I decided that I wanted to give it a workout. As such, I have been ignoring my Lie Nielsen and Bad Axe dovetail saws and have been using hers. I realized that it was barely cutting. I pulled out one of my others to compare, and yep, it was very dull.

Historically, I have sent my saws out to be sharpened, not that they need it all that often for my uses, but, I have been doing a lot of cutting lately, and this thing was dull.

One very nice thing about the Lee Valley is that they actually list things like the angles that they use.....

I read up on the sharpening thing, marked every tooth on the side that "went away from me" (so I marked on both sides of the saw). Grabbed a 5x double taper file and went for it. OK, first I flattened the tops a wee bit so I knew they would be even. But, the saw was sharp when I was finished. I was worried about doing this, but, I am happy with the results. I did not mess with the set on the teeth because I read that I could do that like every fourth sharpening.

Very happy, I was a bit worried since I had not done it before.

Jim Koepke
04-21-2019, 4:33 PM
The hardest part of saw sharpening is getting over the initial fear of doing it.

Congratulations,

jtk

Tom M King
04-21-2019, 5:53 PM
Yes, it's amazing how much reluctance a little triangular file wields.

lowell holmes
04-21-2019, 6:32 PM
Be gentile, take two strokes, move to the next tooth, when your through, do it again until your saw is sharp.
If you do not have a saw set, see this string. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?264342-Set-saw-teeth-with-a-screwdriver

Andrew Pitonyak
04-22-2019, 12:51 AM
Be gentile, take two strokes, move to the next tooth, when your through, do it again until your saw is sharp.
If you do not have a saw set, see this string. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?264342-Set-saw-teeth-with-a-screwdriver

OK, I need to read this..... Very interesting. I own three saw sets (even though I have never used one). Two I purchased new and one I purchased used. I think the screwdriver method is more practical for the teeth on my dovetail saw. I need to sleep, but will be coming back to the thread to give it a better read.

Andrew Pitonyak
04-22-2019, 12:51 AM
The hardest part of saw sharpening is getting over the initial fear of doing it.

Congratulations,

jtk

Thanks. And yes, I was really worried about it.

Richard Jones
04-22-2019, 6:49 AM
It can be a bit intimidating until you actually dive in. I feel so lucky and privileged to have had a mentor that taught me to sharpen saws. Sure do miss him. He didn't look like he was smart enough to tie his own shoes, but I've never met anyone sharper. Small in stature, but huge in knowledge and heart. I have about a dozen of his saws, all Atkins.

I can remember using this screwdriver method approx. 40 years ago. Also did some with a nail set and improvised anvil. Good times!!

glenn bradley
04-22-2019, 8:17 AM

Congratulations,

jtk

So true. I was gratified (and a bit relieved) to find how easy it is if you just focus.

bill epstein
04-23-2019, 7:30 AM
More than 30 years ago I read a Tage Frid article in FWW on saw sharpening. His reputation was such that I didn't think twice, just went ahead and did it, screwdriver set and all. Great result, just like his tool cabinet, joinery methods, and finishing techniques.

Been doing it the same way since. Only thing I do differently is use all three sides of the file in order as I go from tooth to tooth. He advocated using one side for one blade, then another for the next, discarding the file after three.

lowell holmes
04-23-2019, 3:14 PM
I think I will look around for another old saw to refurbish.