PDA

View Full Version : Finally made a pen--unique wood--*pic*

Curtis O. Seebeck
12-09-2005, 11:43 AM
I have been selling pen blanks the last couple of months to finance our adoption. I finally decided to break down and get set up to make some pens myself. I went to Woodcraft and bought their professional penmaker's madrel and some pen kits. I already had a pen mill my brother-in-law gave me so I am set there.

Here is a picture of the pen. It is made with Mescalbean, also known as Texas Mountain Laurel. The pen kit is Woodcraft slim style with deco clip in satin nickel. It is sanded to 1,500 grit and then buffed on the lathe with white diamond and pink jewler's rouge. I then applie 3 coats of Deft gloss lacquer, friction finished on the lathe with a final coat of pure carnuba wax. I know it is not one of the fancy pen kits but my wife really liked it so we got it. What do you guys think?

Karl Laustrup
12-09-2005, 12:23 PM
Curtis,

That is one beautiful pen.:) That wood is stunning. :)

Karl

Ron Ainge
12-09-2005, 12:24 PM
I think that you did the wood justice. For a first pen that is very nice. For a tenth pen is real good toooooooooooo.

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-09-2005, 2:48 PM
Very nice pen. Good execution and fit and OUTSTANDING wood!

Bruce

Rich Stewart
12-09-2005, 3:01 PM
Hope my first ones come out half that good. Nice pen!

Jim Hinze
12-09-2005, 3:05 PM
Wow, I love that wood.. the finish is quite stunning..

Have any more of those blanks you wish to sell??? :o

Curtis O. Seebeck
12-10-2005, 1:49 AM
Jim,

Contact me off site at curtis@adoptwood.com. I may be able to come up with a few. They are hard to come by since it is just a bush and seldom gets large enough to even make a pen. I have some root balls that I have been cutting up into pen blanks, mainly to throw in with orders I receive from people on my website. I am sure we can work something out.

Curtis O. Seebeck
12-10-2005, 1:50 AM
Thanks a lot everyone for the nice comments. It give me encouragent to get nice comments from you guys that have a LOT more experience.

John Hart
12-10-2005, 8:29 AM
Nice Looking Pen Curtis! So does this mean you're going to do a pile of them now?;)

Curtis O. Seebeck
12-10-2005, 11:35 AM
John,

Yep, that is what I am working on! My BIL used to make pens for profit and he gave me 50 Berea American Classic Flat top kits. I had to order and larger B mandrel and bushing so I am waiting for them to get here. I promise, I will not post all of them!!

John Hart
12-10-2005, 12:21 PM
.... I promise, I will not post all of them!!

I don't see why not! Camera film is pretty cheap these days! ;)