PDA

View Full Version : Screws questions

Marshall Harrison
04-19-2019, 10:50 AM
I've come to realize that my screw selection is limited and very disorganized. I'm always looking for one that fits my needs but I never know the size of the screw I'm using. I have my Kreg pocket hole screws organized in a container but not any other screws.

My plan is to restock and organize so I'm curious what screw sizes/types you guys use? Which screws should be in every woodworker's inventory? Most of what I have now are drywall screws or odds and ends left over from my father (he passed away in 1980) so the odds and ends are mostly junk and its hard to find enough screws that look alike for a project.

Thanks for your help with this.

James Brown
04-19-2019, 11:02 AM
For me, Robertson [square drive] screws whenever possible. I read an article years ago on the history of Robertson screws and how the Phillips head came to rule in the US ... easily googled by anyone interested. I just like them because they stay on the screwdriver. And the Robertson #3 screwdrivers are great for removing cammed-out Phillips #2 screws.

George Yetka
04-19-2019, 11:04 AM
I like the GRK r4 screws but most like Spax. These will cover 1-1/4-3+"

For 1/2-1 ive been using spax(sont love these theyre not like the larger ones theyre bit soft and phillips)

I like these because when i need more lowes and homedepot carry them.

robert wiggins
04-19-2019, 11:19 AM
I prefer the Robertson heads with a 6" driver in the drill chuck but also use phillips because I pre-drill 2 holes to allow the screw head to do the holding, so phillips aren't a problem for me. I have a plastic screw organizer similar to this single decker but anyone is welcome to put a 4 drawer under the Christmas tree with my name on it.

mark mcfarlane
04-19-2019, 11:27 AM
McFeely's has a nice assortment of #8 screws (https://www.mcfeelys.com/getting-to-know-them-assortment-without-bins-8-black-oxide-coated-flat-head-square-drive.html) that I bought last year. You can get them with or without open organization bins. I bought boxes of 1 3/4" and 3" to complete their collection.

I've used all of the sizes this past year: if I have the right size I use it rather than something a little short. These are SHARP screws that drive very nicely.

#8 suits my needs most of the time, otherwise its into the misc bins or off to the hardware store.

Marshall Harrison
04-19-2019, 11:34 AM
I like the Robertson head screws as I have bits for them and that is what Kreg uses for their pocket hole screws.

The star drive are okay but I never seem to have the correct driver around when using those.

Maybe the Philips is the way to go and always pre-drill and countersink before driving in the screw.

Thanks.

Marshall Harrison
04-19-2019, 11:41 AM
McFeely's has a nice assortment of #8 screws (https://www.mcfeelys.com/getting-to-know-them-assortment-without-bins-8-black-oxide-coated-flat-head-square-drive.html) that I bought last year. You can get them with or without open organization bins. I bought boxes of 1 3/4" and 3" to complete their collection.

I've used all of the sizes this past year: if I have the right size I use it rather than something a little short. These are SHARP screws that drive very nicely.

#8 suits my needs most of the time, otherwise its into the misc bins or off to the hardware store.

So, #8 screws in 3/4" - 3" along with some #6 and #10 would make a good starting point. Nearest HD is about 5 miles away from me so I would rather not have to run out all the time to get the correct screw. I don't need hundreds of screw but I would like to keep say 50 of each type I use on hand. Just trying to figure out which types to stock.

Wayne Jolly
04-19-2019, 11:44 AM
I like to use Torx head if the screws are large enough. That winds up being mostly for the construction like a deck or something. Also for regular woodworking if I can find them. If not available, then square drive. But even square drive aren't available for the small stuff like #4 or #6 which is the realm of phillips. So just buy everything in sight. :-)

Wayne

Peter Christensen
04-19-2019, 11:45 AM
I buy by the box when I need some, then I have stock when done for another project down the road. I don't try to get a range of screws because most will never get used. Fortunately Robertson screws are the most common sold here and I don't have to deal with Phillips much. While I have some drywall screws about my preference are floor or deck screws for general use.

Stan Calow
04-19-2019, 11:55 AM
I like Spax screws if I can find them. But the screws I reach for most often for home repairs, temporary fixes, and non-woodworking home projects, are Simpson 1 1/4 stainless self-tapping screws. They seem to work for a variety of purposes that I think other people use drywalls screws for.

glenn bradley
04-19-2019, 12:27 PM
I keep mine in adjustable bin-size tackle boxes. These store in racks (I have about 3 dozen boxes with screws, tack/nails, hinges, project parts, etc. The screw boxes have a bit of adhesive measuring tape attached to the lid for quick size confirmations.

Anything that can, comes in Robertson drive. I keep flat head and washer head in 1/8" increments from 1/2" through about 2" and then in 1/4" increments to 3-1/2" or however they come when I am restocking. Trim head scres and truss head screws aree kept in reasonable numbers as well, Small brass, small colored, etc. there is no "right" answer; what you do in your shop will determine what you need to keep around.

Jim Becker
04-19-2019, 12:46 PM
I am generally "standardized" on Robertson/Square drive screws across the board and buy from McFeely's. The few things I buy locally, such as "deck screws" for construction either have combo square/Phillips or Star/Torx heads. I don't spend money...ever, if I can control it...on Phillips head screws any more outside of drywall screws used for drywall where the nature of that recess is appropriate for the use. I've pretty much trashed all the odd assortments of various cheap screws that were lying around in favor of being more organized.

I mostly use #8 screws for woodworking purposes and most of them are in the 1.25", 1.5" and 2" lengths, but I keep .75" and 1" available for when they are appropriate. I also keep #6 screws for utility and have heavier #10 for certain tasks that benefit from the beefier fastener, but in smaller quantities. I originally bought them in the yellow zine coating, but have transitioned to black oxide simply because I'm anal and like that color better. :) I use wall mounted storage bins for organization.

Jon Endres
04-19-2019, 1:27 PM
I am on the opposite end of the spectrum and have far more screws and fasteners than I will probably use in a lifetime, and I'm always buying more. The fastener I choose usually depends on the project. For rough work I like GRK screws, although a hardware chain near me also carries Scorpion screws which tend to be thinner and sharper and go into the wood better without a pilot hole. For cabinet work I use black oxide from McFeeley's, I have a huge stash from years ago when I bought a couple of their "assortments". Pocket hole screws are the "Super-8's" also from McFeeley's for most applications, but I have a good assortment of them as well. Drywall screws are for drywall. I store everything in a variety of Harbor Freight/Tractor Supply (Storehouse) organizers, which are very similar to the Stanley organizers. Also have a bunch of Stack-On organizer units. Everything is organized by type and size, although the GRK screws sit in their own little covered bins because I like them.

https://www.stanleytools.com/products/storage/toolboxes/organizer/professional-organizer/014725r

Lee Schierer
04-19-2019, 1:55 PM
I've switched to Spax wood screws in #8 size. I usually have 1" to 1-1/2" lengths on hand.

Charles P. Wright
04-19-2019, 4:09 PM
I use McFeely's. I have mostly #8s, which I buy in either 100 for most things or 1000 boxes for the 1 1/4" and 1 1/2". In #8 I'll keep 3/4", 1 3/4", 2", 2 1/2" as well.

I also have 1/2, 3/4", 1" and 1 1/4" of #6s and a few larger #10s. I use drywall screws for drywall, and get deck screws locally from the orange borg. I try to avoid collecting random hardware in favor of having better organization; since most of the random things I won't actually use in a reasonable time frame and I don't want to hunt for things.

Ray Newman
04-19-2019, 4:25 PM
Another vote for SPAX.

Ron Citerone
04-19-2019, 5:55 PM
I use #8 and #10 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" the most. Stay away from big box steel screws IMO, they break way to easily.

(Furniture making not construction.)

Günter VögelBerg
04-19-2019, 7:57 PM
A long time ago I bought a big box of every size square drive screw from Mcfeeleys and they have always worked well. When I need something historically accurate or decorative (My house is from 1910 and I like to do projects with accurate reproductions) I get them at http://www.blacksmithbolt.com/

David Powell
04-19-2019, 9:37 PM
McFeely's for 3/4" thru 2" for #8 and 1/2" thru 1-1/4" #6, both in black oxide; also have 1-1/2" thru 3" stainless for outdoor projects. All square drive.

Tony Pisano
04-19-2019, 9:54 PM
I still have a variety of small screws that I bought when a pattern shop went out of business. I don't use that often but are there for special needs. When I started building some beekeeping equipment, I developed a liking to Power Pro outdoor screws. In most cases there is no need to predrill and it makes it's own countersink. The star bit comes in the box. The thing I like is you can be reaching over to an area where you can't put direct pressure on the screw to drive it and the bit still holds in the screw and drives fine.

Sam Murdoch
04-19-2019, 11:04 PM
I have abandoned all screws other than Torx. I especially love working with GRKs though there are some pretenders that aren't too bad and more affordable. These are screws - trim, normal and pan heads - that can be driven and removed and driven again - inside or outside - minutes or years later - with never stripping out - the threads or the torx head themselves. You don't want the kind of trim screws that have the extra threads just under the heads - bare necks please. This is essential for trim work where you might need to move a screw. Try it - you will know what I mean. Otherwise ...

Phillips, square or, god forbid- straight slots and even posi-drive, are now obsolete to me with the easily available torx. I build cabinets and buildings, porches and cabinet installs and shop jigs with these. I am now the utter screw snob. Give me Torx or nothing at all. No matter, that they are primarily intended for exterior use - they are so good that no need to bother with anything else. I have old stock of nice drill tip phillips screws that I hardly use - several cases. I give those away to less particular screw drivers.

Yes, sometimes I need something more in keeping with tradition. I still use straight slotted bronze and brass as needed. Still looking for torx smaller than # 8s - so that is a factor for certain.

My 2¢.

Sam

Anuj Prateek
04-20-2019, 12:33 AM
I buy screws, nut/bolts, washer, etc as needed for use around house or woodworking.

I buy 3/4, 1.25, 1.5, and 2.5 inch screws in boxes/bulk. I find these to be most used. I have these in Philips as well as Torx head. Torx head one are costlier and get used for nicer stuff. Philips head ones are used for utility purposes.

Other sizes, I buy as much as I need. Most of the time the unused ones go waste, so have stopped buying in bulk.

Nut & bolts, I buy as needed and few extras (normally 8-12 extra pieces). I try to to buy #8-12 and 1/4" in small boxes - most used.

Brand wise I like GRK & Spax sold at Homedepot. For general use I buy generic outdoor (grey) screws.

Other than these I keep fine nails (Brad nails?) of few sizes and structural screws (3") handy.

Jim Dwight
04-20-2019, 8:51 AM
I buy fancier screws for special purposes but for most uses, I just use regular old drywall screws and keep boxes of 1.25 1 5/8, 2, 2.5 and 3 inch coarse thread on hand. I built a simple wall hung unit to hold the boxes years ago. I think KISS applies well to screws.

Jim Becker
04-20-2019, 9:09 AM
Jim, just keep in mind that drywall screws are brittle (by design) which is why so many folks don't recommend them for general woodworking.

mark mcfarlane
04-20-2019, 9:44 AM
Jim, just keep in mind that drywall screws are brittle (by design) which is why so many folks don't recommend them for general woodworking.

...which means the heads can shear off fairly easily in denser woods. Yep.

Brian Behrens
04-20-2019, 10:00 AM
I have converted to 100% torx for all the reasons previously mentioned .I keep 3/4, 1 1/4, 1 3/4, 2, and 3" on hand at all times. I have sworn off Phillips screws and despise drywall screws. I get mad when I see a drywall screw used for anything but drywall. I will spend the extra 50 cents on a task to use the proper fastener.

If I can't avoid having a screw head showing on a fine project, I use a brass slotted acrew, I just think it's more old timey and classy.

Dan Hahr
04-20-2019, 9:31 PM
I’m surprised no one has mentioned buying screws at the lumber yard or cabinet supply house. I’ve probably spent a small fortune on screws from the blue and orange stores before I found Quickscrews and camo screws. Quickscrews are my goto for all cabinet work, pocket hole work, etc. They’re about $22 per 1000 for the 1 1/4” square head. Camo screws are sold at the lumber yard and are just as good as any deck screw but they only cost about $2 per pound. They have torx heads and are coated for exterior use.

Dan

Dan Hahr
04-20-2019, 9:32 PM
I’m surprised no one has mentioned buying screws at the lumber yard or cabinet supply house. I’ve probably spent a small fortune on screws from the blue and orange stores before I found Quickscrews and camo screws. Quickscrews are my goto for all cabinet work, pocket hole work, etc. They’re about $22 per 1000 for the 1 1/4” square head. Camo screws are sold at the lumber yard and are just as good as any deck screw but they only cost about $2 per pound. They have torx heads and are coated for exterior use.

Dan

Steven Powell
04-20-2019, 10:32 PM
the Irish Pedophile (McFeelys) all the way. I stock #6 robertsons in 3/4, 1. 1.25. and 1.5; and in #8 robertsons: 3/4-, 1-, 1.25-, 1.5-, 2-, 2.5-, and 3-inch. I do some #10s.

Mostly do the boxes of 100 except from 1.25 #8 which I use so many of that I go 1000.

Frank Necaise
04-24-2019, 8:42 PM
Thanks, just placed my order.

Rick Potter
04-25-2019, 2:32 PM
I have three boxes of screws that I use most in a drawer of my workbench, where they are handy. They are simple gold screws from HD, 1 1/4, 1 5/8, and 2". They do for about 75% of what I need. On the back wall I have a very complete selection of other fasteners, which I go to when needed.

I always drill and countersink pilot holes, and seldom have a cam out problem.

If I don't care if the screw head is on the surface, I usually just use Kreg screws.