PDA

View Full Version : html editor

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
07-05-2003, 1:17 PM
I have used Netscape Composer to build my web pages and then I go into Notepad when I need to tweak something or insert something that Composer doesn't accept. I am setting up a new web site using PayPal and am having trouble getting the shopping cart to work. I have three items on one page and with the first item the add-to-cart and view cart buttons work fine. The next item shows the beginning of the add-to-cart button and the alternate text of rhe view cart button. The third item just shows the html for the buttons. I'm not skilled at html and I haven't been able to figure out how to fix it. Is there a better editor than Composer to make my pages that doesn't cost a fortune? I have a another page with a single item on it and the buttons work well on it.

chaddhamilton
07-17-2003, 2:53 PM
Hey Don, if you can grab the source code and email it to me, i'll look at it and see what's causing the display problem. Usually it's an unclosed double quote that is easily overlooked.

Chadd

Dennis Peacock
07-17-2003, 7:53 PM
What you need is "aceHTML" which is a GREAT html editing package. I have the PRO version and it really helps keep it all together. You can preview you web page changes from inside aceHTML. You can download the FREE version or you can get the PRO version....now cheaper than when I bought. Just do a web search for acehtml....

07-17-2003, 9:48 PM
Hey Don, if you can grab the source code and email it to me, i'll look at it and see what's causing the display problem. Usually it's an unclosed double quote that is easily overlooked.

Chadd

Thanks, Chad. I finally got it straightened out. I really need a better editor, but I can't afford the Dreamweaver style editor. Composer and Notepad are pretty limiting. (-:

07-17-2003, 10:06 PM
What you need is "aceHTML" which is a GREAT html editing package. I have the PRO version and it really helps keep it all together. You can preview you web page changes from inside aceHTML. You can download the FREE version or you can get the PRO version....now cheaper than when I bought. Just do a web search for acehtml....

Dennis, that looks like a good program that maybe I can afford. I think I will download the trial version and give it a whirl. Thanks for the tip.

Ted Shrader
07-18-2003, 10:05 PM
I have used Netscape Composer to build my web pages and then I go into Notepad when I need to tweak something or insert something that Composer doesn't accept. I am setting up a new web site using PayPal and am having trouble getting the shopping cart to work. I have three items on one page and with the first item the add-to-cart and view cart buttons work fine. The next item shows the beginning of the add-to-cart button and the alternate text of rhe view cart button. The third item just shows the html for the buttons. I'm not skilled at html and I haven't been able to figure out how to fix it. Is there a better editor than Composer to make my pages that doesn't cost a fortune? I have a another page with a single item on it and the buttons work well on it.

Don -

Another candidate for HTML editors is Arachnophilia. Available free on TUCOWS.com (and other sites). I have used it for a while. Has a pretty decent trouble shooting section.

Ted