PDA

View Full Version : Snow day off...yippee

Fred Voorhees
12-09-2005, 9:11 AM
They were calling for some pretty heavy snowfall here in the Jersey and Pennsy area. Went to bed telling myself that I would try to get to work, though the current job is about 55 miles distant. Woke up this morning to some pretty heavy snowfall and hours before it stopped. Result?!?!?! I chucked the idea and decided to make it a three day weekend. Bonus day in the shop today:D :D :D :D

Jim Dunn
12-09-2005, 9:54 AM
4 words "are you getting paid?". That's what I tell myself everytime I over sleep or take off an extra day. Guilt complex I guess.

Bryan Somers
12-09-2005, 10:01 AM
Now that I work for a local hospital wont be getting any more of those so enjoy.

Andy London
12-09-2005, 10:19 AM
It's topping by here tonight and tomorrow, 35cm of the white stuff...should be a great shop day:D

Keel McDonald
12-09-2005, 11:43 AM
That would be about 14" in American, right?

It's topping by here tonight and tomorrow, 35cm of the white stuff...should be a great shop day:D

Andy London
12-09-2005, 12:27 PM
That would be about 14" in American, right?

Yes, very close.....Because we are so close to the ocean we tend to get the high winds which bring some pretty interesting drifts. Staff Christmas party is tonight, will get a chance to try the new trucks all wheel drive....looking forward to that:)

Brian Hale
12-09-2005, 12:28 PM
Same here Fred! :D

Woke up at 3am as usual, showered and atebreakfastt and took a walk down the driveway. 4" and not a plow in sight. Made some coffee and cruised SMC for a bit till LOML got up. Then it was down to the shop to work on the desk for the in-laws. This is our last empty weekend till after the first of the year so it wasn't hard deciding to stay home.

I'm getting a light dusting in the shop :eek: ........ saw dust that is :D

Brian :)

....and yes, i'm getting paid!

Mike Deschler
12-09-2005, 3:27 PM
Before we sent all that snow out East to you guys was that we got about a foot of it dumped on us here in the Mid-West.

I fired up my trusted 20 yr old IH Cub Cadet with a 46" blower and took care of the snow. Unfortunately, the tractor shares the same space as my workshop and it needs to dry out for a while. Good thing I waxed all my cast iron a few weeks ago.

Don Baer
12-09-2005, 4:05 PM
It snowed on top of the mountain behind my house last night. I can see it from the patio door. Does that qualify me for a snow day so I can spend more time in the shop this weekend ?....;)

Mike Deschler
12-09-2005, 6:43 PM
It snowed on top of the mountain behind my house last night. I can see it from the patio door. Does that qualify me for a snow day so I can spend more time in the shop this weekend ?....;)

Gee Don,

Hey why not? Maybe you can get one of those famous California referendums going to make it an official day off!!

Mike Henderson
12-09-2005, 7:14 PM
That's so unfair! It's about 65 degrees here in Southern California, and people are complaining about how cold it is. But we never get a snow day.

I always said that if everyone had to live for six months in SoCal before they could go somewhere else in the US, we'd have standing room only.

Mike

Don Baer
12-09-2005, 7:17 PM
I always said that if everyone had to live for six months in SoCal before they could go somewhere else in the US, we'd have standing room only.

Mike

It's getting that way already..
:(

Jim Becker
12-09-2005, 8:16 PM
Other than plowing out...no "snow day" here given my office is in the house. But it was also the first full day back at the "real job"...while also watching the new kiddos. I'll see my shop again...someday... ;)

Vaughn McMillan
12-09-2005, 8:41 PM
That's so unfair! It's about 65 degrees here in Southern California, and people are complaining about how cold it is. But we never get a snow day...

Yeah, but all those people to the east of us don't get "Earthquake Days", so I guess it balances out in the long run. :D

As Don said, I think we're about there already. :(

- Vaughn

Mike

Byron Trantham
12-09-2005, 10:37 PM
We got the icy stuff here in Fredericksburg. Go up this morning and looked out the window with my coffee in hand and smiled.... ah it's great to be retired!!!!:D

John Keane
12-09-2005, 11:43 PM
I'm also retired in So Cal. I look forward to the occasional rainy day, because its a WW day with no outside distractions, like golf. I hope that you have just a great weekend.

Dave Anderson NH
12-10-2005, 8:26 AM
I took the day off too Fred. We had about 15" so my day in the shop was interrupted by going out to snowblow the walk and driveway twice. The shop time wasn't as much fun as usual since most of the work was sanding-Yuck. It was nice to have the curtains in the benchroom open and watch the snow fall while enjoying the fire in the woodstove.

Fred Voorhees
12-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Go up this morning and looked out the window with my coffee in hand and smiled.... ah it's great to be retired!!!!:D

And I look forward to that kind of opportunity in approximately seven or eight years. Beleive me,,,,,I'm counting the days.:p