PDA

View Full Version : itty bitty lathe tools

doug webb
12-09-2005, 5:48 AM
would someone post pics of their lathe tools used to make entries in the contest? thanks

John Hart
12-09-2005, 7:42 AM
Oh...this is going to be a cool thread.;) I'll have to take pictures later tonight.

Bob Noles
12-09-2005, 8:29 AM
Somehow John, I know what your thinking :cool: :rolleyes: :D

Dave Bonde
12-09-2005, 10:17 AM
I will post a picture but only because you asked – not because I don’t want you to see the tools I used but because they are nothing special. I used Benjamin’s Best 3 piece pen turning lathe set from Penn State. They are about 12” long and a basic gouge, skew and parting tool. I did make a hollowing tool but it is not worth showing, I just took on old screwdriver to the disc sander and ground a hook on the end to hollow my form. I used the skew for about 95% of my turnings. This probably isn’t what you are looking for but it is what I used. Dave

Carole Valentine
12-09-2005, 12:29 PM
Just a regular 3/8" bowl gouge, a 3/8" spindle gouge ground into a detail gouge and a 1/2" skew. I am getting ready to make some micro hollowing tools. For the cutters I have ordered 1/8" HSS drill blanks. Once the cutters are shaped, I will fit them into some square keystock (I hope)

Bill Stevener
12-09-2005, 2:32 PM
Hi Doug,
The major 4 tools I use. In the Itty Bitty thread I noted about 1/4", without really measuring :o , however, upon checking them all -- the skews are 3/16" , the round nose is 1/8" and the parting tool is 1/16" all just carbon steal, but they except a real fine edge. A pc of an old stick rule for help.

An endless variety of micro turning tools can be maid from spent, broken drills. Grind and shape the chuck end of the drill to your needs, once the shape is acceptable, I only sharpen them using a stone and honing oil. The sizes are endless, cheep at 1/2 the price, why throw them away. You can turn handles for the same.

The lathe I use for small and micro turning, has a 2" swing and a spindle length of 6". It is direct drive, no belts, gears, or pulleys. IT only has an on and off switch and one speed - 3450 rpm and runs great. Not a jewelers lathe, it's a true wood lathe. I had a good jewelers lathe and sold it to the jeweler in town and now looking to purchase another one, em little buggers are great for small work.

Hope this helps some,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

doug webb
12-10-2005, 7:04 AM
my thanks to everyone that responded. while viewing the entries to the contest, i was stuck with the image of someone with a magnifying glass strapped to their head, using tools the size of dental tools. i am amazed at the delicacy and detail achieved by those who entered. thanks again.

John Hart
12-10-2005, 9:08 AM
ooops!!! I forgot to do pics last night! I'll have to do them today

Forrest Price
12-10-2005, 10:23 AM
Hi Doug, I used just a 3/8 bowl gouge to rough mine down. Once they were round, I switched to an Exacto knife with the real pointed skew blade in it. Used it just like any other Skew, just had to be careful since it was real thin, but man did it do a nice smooth job! The tip was great for hollowing out the glass and getting a nice thin rim.
Forrest

John Hart
12-10-2005, 10:31 AM
I just had an idea! (imagine that:o ) I have some 1/4" aluminum rod. I think I'll cut a rectangular hole in the end of a small piece of that rod and embed a bobby pin into it. Then grind the bobby pin like a hook tool for miniaturized hollowing. Hmmm....well maybe I'll just clean the shop on second thought. That might be more productive.:rolleyes:

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-10-2005, 2:01 PM
I'll Get pic by tomorrow.

Bruce

Dennis Daudelin
12-10-2005, 4:52 PM
Here are the tools that I used to make my miniature turnings, the walnut goblets with the captive rings.

The most important tool was my magnifying headset. Yes, I used it regularly for this work. My eyes just couldn't see well enough for that level of detail.

http://www.daudelin.net/Images/Mini-Tools/std_P1010052.JPG

For me, the cutting tools fall into 2 categories; store bought and home made.

Store bought tools are Crown and Sorby 1/8" tools.

http://www.daudelin.net/Images/Mini-Tools/std_P1010051.JPG

The are (left to right); spindle/bowl gouge with side grind, skew, (bent) parting tool, round scraper.

The home made tools are made from all types of materials.

http://www.daudelin.net/Images/Mini-Tools/std_P1010050.JPG

Here are my favorites; a planer blade with the cutting edge dulled and then resharpened into a thin parting tool, a dentist pick where one end is a right scraper and the other a left scraper and used for making captive rings and the last tool is probably most common, an allen wrench glued into a length of wood and cut back to make a scraper for hollowing!

I hope this helps to open the world of miniatures for others. It probably also makes you think of questions, ask away!!

Dennis

Chris Barton
12-10-2005, 7:34 PM
This is the set I use, some are of marginal value but, I was too dumb to know that when I bought them...http://www.woodcraft.com/images/family/web395big.jpg

doug webb
12-11-2005, 11:08 PM
my thanks again to all who responded to my question. i am in awe of all of the entries in the contest. as i make most of my tools, the pictures you kindly posted will allow me to try my hand at this. i have turned around 100 bowls, goblets and vases so far practicing. but the smallest has been around 3 inches in diameter. i am looking forward to giving this a try......thanks again.