PDA

View Full Version : Joint Venture Cutting Boards

Vaughn McMillan
12-09-2005, 4:07 AM
I got an e-mail message a while back from fellow Saw Mill Creeker Pete Simmons, describing an idea he had for a cutting board with a laser-cut wood inlay that he wanted to give as a gift. After a few e-mail and Photoshop idea exchanges, we came up with a board design that would go with his intended inlay design. We've had a few learning experiences along the way, and the original idea has grown into several different ideas we're in the process of trying, but here are the first two we've done. I say "we", but all I did was glue some hunks of wood together and sand it flat. Pete is doing all the hard work, including the inlay design and execution. After Pete does the inlay, he sends it back to me for finish sanding and oiling. Each of these boards will log about 7,500 miles before it's presented as a gift.

The first board is the Sun Tree. The tree is walnut and the sun is padauk. The board (or substrate, in inlay-talk) is curly maple with accents of walnut, cherry and purple heart. Pardon the poor lighting in the photo.

http://workingwoods.com/workingwoods/Cutting%20Boards/Suntree%201c%20600.jpg

When I first saw the Sun Tree inlay I was wowed. Pete does great work, and his little photon-powered scroll saw is no slouch, either. The laser is accurate to ridiculous tolerances, so the fit it as close to perfect as wood will allow. Then Pete sent another board, and in the e-mail that preceeded it, he said he'd taken it to another level...kicked it up a notch, so to speak.

This is the Mountain Air board, the meaning of which I'm sure Pete can expand on. It's another gift...Pete gives nice gifts. ;)

http://workingwoods.com/workingwoods/Cutting%20Boards/Mountain%20Air%202%20600.jpg

Just in case you hadn't noticed, there's some TEENY scroll work in the lettering. Here's a detail of the "A":

http://workingwoods.com/workingwoods/Cutting%20Boards/Mountain%20Air%20Detail%20600.jpg

I haven't checked with a measuring device, but the thin lines are about 1/16" or so wide. I've looked it over very closely, and I simply cannot find any flaws. This board is headed back to Florida tomorrow morning, but at least I get to keep the pictures. :)

Needless to say it's doubtful either of these "cutting" boards will ever meet the sharp side of a knife, but they still make for a nice serving tray or wall decoration.

This is a simple example of what two Creekers can do when they put their resources and specialties together. We have a few more in the works...some more for Pete, and some for me...I'll show them to the gang here as they come off the line. I also have other tag-team project plans in the works with another Creeker...more on that one later. ;)

- Vaughn

John Bailey
12-09-2005, 5:02 AM
What a great way to collaborate, and build freindships. Thanks to both of you.

John

tod evans
12-09-2005, 5:55 AM
amazing inlay work! i need to research the lazers. thanks vaughn

Joseph N. Myers
12-09-2005, 5:58 AM
To say "another level...kicked it up a notch" is quite an understatement. I would say that you and in particular, Pete, would be putting a lot of people out of work or "to shame" but not sure anyone else has done anything like that, at least on a commercial scale.

I seem to remember that you had a thread recently on what to charge for your work, in particular, jewelry boxes (and if not your thread, doesn't really matter). Point being that if you can make cutting boards, jewelry boxes, etc with different designs, i.e., a persons dog, house, family, you could charge big, big bucks. But in reality, I would guess that time/price goes up with the different woods/colors used. But sure there would be enough business with just the simple designs.

One method that would probably be worth looking into (which you probably already have) is the "double" dovetail joint thing where they cut regular dovetails a certain size, put the matching sides in and cut off the rest leaving just a flat/single board with dovetails. Then they you go back and cut smaller dovetails in the center of the dovetails just cut so they end up with dovetails within dovetails.

With your thing, for say a dog, the full profile of the dog would be done in the primary wood and glued/sanded in the background wood (so you would end up with something like a shadow picture like the kids do at school out of black and white paper). Then cut out/paste in the next shape(s)/color. Etc. More steps/more time/more money.

I would imagine anyone that currently has a lazor machine is contemplating trying something like you/pete just did - too back you can't patent the method.

In any event, congratulation on a job extremely well done.

Regards, Joe

Michael Stafford
12-09-2005, 6:50 AM
Vaughn and Pete, this work is way above the level of quality you see in cutting boards. You guys have created a whole new world of decorative kitchen art. Imagine, if you will, raised panels in cabinet doors utilizing this idea. Obviously for a high end kitchen but man, the right folks would jump all over this. Beautiful work men, absolutely wonderful. This laser woodworking has tremendous potential all sorts of decorative applications.

Keith Outten
12-09-2005, 7:37 AM
Vaughn,

You and Pete have put together a really nice cooperative effort. The results are stunning and the combined efforts of two talented people really open lots of doors in spite of the distance between your workshops.

Possibly this will be a reminder that we have a list of laser engravers in the Laser Woodworking Forum that can be very helpfull if anyone is looking for a woodworking engraver to help with a project. One of the reasons we started the Laser Woodworking Forum was to let everyone know that Lasers can be a nice addition to a woodworkers shop. Those who cannot take the plunge can easilly find a fellow woodworker here that can engrave for them.

Don't forget that our Engraving Members can produce custom router templates and a host of special jigs for your shop as well as engrave or cut pieces and inlays for your projects. This goes the other way as well, those with engravers who need special projects created like custom boxes and plaques shouldn't have any problem finding a fellow woodworker who can produce them, thus adding products to an engravers list of offerings to their customers.

Use the Force Luke

Brett Baldwin
12-09-2005, 8:43 AM
Both boards look fantastic. I can only imagine how fussy inlaying those skinny curliques must be. Great tag team work guys.

Howard Norman
12-09-2005, 9:57 AM
Very impressive! As I was looking I was thinking that is art not cutting boards.

Howard

John Miliunas
12-09-2005, 10:07 AM
Wow! Or, let me put it this way: WOW!!!! :D That is just way, WAY too awesome! Beautiful, unique, extraordinary and just WOW! :D What a super, super way to collaborate efforts, distance notwithstanding! I've seen both of your works and have had the extreme pleasure of experiencing Pete's up close and personal and this is definitely taking it all to the next level! As Keith said, this is capable of uniting two totally different talents and making something absolutely custom and special. My hat's off to both of you! Well, well done! Just in case you missed it, WOW!!!:D :cool:

Howard Barlow
12-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Wow! That is some mighty fine work, guys. Good going. Good to see you two play well with others.:D

Jim Dunn
12-09-2005, 10:26 AM
I'm going to echo John M.'s exclamations!!

Travis Porter
12-09-2005, 10:28 AM
You do stuff like this and sweat buying a bandsaw? Gorgeous.

How do you cut out the inlay and place it? I figure the laser does the grooving, but do you use it to cut out the inlay as well? Like a router with an inlay jig so to speak?

Vaughn McMillan
12-09-2005, 1:37 PM
How do you cut out the inlay and place it? I figure the laser does the grooving, but do you use it to cut out the inlay as well? Like a router with an inlay jig so to speak?
You got it, Travis. He uses the laser on one setting to cut the recess for the inlay, then uses another setting to cut the outline of the inlay itself. One of the beauties of a laser (and the computer controlling it) is that it can do the same shape -- exactly -- over and over again. The printer sees the laser machine as essentially another printer, so it just "prints" on the wood whatever you tell it to. I'm oversimplifying it, but that's basically how the cutting is done. Then of course is the task of gluing the teeny pieces in the right place. Wood surgery. ;)

- Vaughn

Matt Crew
12-09-2005, 1:55 PM
I think John M. said it all, WOW!

john whittaker
12-09-2005, 4:10 PM
Vaughn, absolutely fantastic. You guys really made a mark;)

Now I have to apologies for my comments about your carpeted floor and foo foo garage windows. It appears that great work is NOT dependent on the type of floor you are standing on:p.

The boards are inspiring. Congratulations.

John Buzzurro
12-09-2005, 6:30 PM
Great job on the cutting boards! I think the idea of collaborating with fellow Creekers is great.