PDA

View Full Version : Well, it still is woodworking, right?

steven c newman
04-14-2019, 10:21 PM
And may require a few handtools, too. Seems the house has a very small, ugly, and dangerous front porch...
Solid concrete, can't just remove it. Step is too high, even with the tread added, and no railings ( and a few people have fallen off this thing)
So...Single Brain Cell Sketch Up figured out a plan...I also needed to measure things out, draw up a paper plan...:eek:
Looking at the porch in the same direction. Going to cover up the Ugly Thing in PT lumber. Will come out to just beyond the existing sidewalk..
Front left corner will wind up at the cracked area. New steps will cover the worst of the cracked mess, then head to the corner of the house..
Right about where the straight wall meets the angled wall for a window bump out.
Like this. Decking will also be laid right on the top of the concrete porch, and fastened down....comes out level with the threshold of the front door.

Lots of cutting and fitting to do....mitresaw is handpowered....Where the handrails meet up, the 5/4 x 6 top rail needs mitered. ay also need to use a couple handsaws...depending on what is getting cut, and where. I also get a refresher on laying out and cutting stair stringers (3 of them)
material is being delivered the Monday after Easter...twasn't cheap.

Since this is under the 10' x 10' square size, I do not need to get any permits for this "addition". May have to move the mailbox, though...:rolleyes:
May do a build blog about this thing. last time I did this kind of work, was about 2002....Above ground pool deck, with railings. I might be a tad rusty?:rolleyes:

Will have a few "cold ones" for anyone that cares to stop by and help out..:D

Stay tuned:D

JimA Thornton
04-15-2019, 10:00 AM
Are you sure it's solid concrete? I had a porch just like that and it was hollow. Rented an electric jack hammer and in a short time the porch was a pile of rubble. Built a nice wood porch.

Jim

Bill Houghton
04-15-2019, 11:08 AM
Are you sure it's solid concrete? I had a porch just like that and it was hollow. Rented an electric jack hammer and in a short time the porch was a pile of rubble. Built a nice wood porch.

Jim
The big issue, in thinking about removing it, is the two-part question of whether there's rebar and, if so, whether it's attached to the house. A little examination of the joint between porch and house will help on the second question. If it's tight to the house, it's probably attached to the foundation.

steven c newman
04-15-2019, 12:59 PM
Tight to the foundation...can still see the lines on the concrete from the forms. I'll tapcon joists to the concrete ides of the porch....4x4 posts will get lagged in elsewhere...may add a few cut-off 4 x 4s to sit in the back corner, on the old step...will box around the downspout, as well...

decking will get tapconned to the surface of the concrete porch..then out over the rest of the frame work. 10' 4 x 4s will get cut into two 5' long posts....both to support the frame work, and act as posts for the railings.....no digging, posts will rest on 2' x2' concrete paver blocks. Looks like 3 stringers for the steps....5" riser x 11" treads....top tread will be even with the decking.

thinking I'll need to lay a tarp down where the boards will be sitting, while we unload the truck...hardware can come into the house, until needed...there is an outdoor, ground fault outlet on the porch....And a decent porch light....

Circular saw has a new blade, and is fixed up and ready to go.....need to get a 3-way plug...as I don't feel like stopping to unplug one tool, before I can use the next....

Going to be a lot of work, but, should be a lot of fun...hope the weather is decent for a couple days...

steven c newman
04-16-2019, 3:32 PM
Ok, 3-way plug has been bought. This way, I can leave two drills and a saw plugged into one cord. Much easier than having to fool around plugging and un-plugging tools...

Upon further review...there is a second downspout to work around..
Right there on the left....should be able to avoid it, as the deck will miss it..barely. Depending on how tall the joists are....I may have to pull the wooden tread...no biggie, just a couple tapcons holding it place. Might even "recycle" it....maybe as a short joist, between the porch and the outside rim joist.

Was told not to use the composite decking ( "waste of time..") and just use the 5/4 x 6 x 10' decking boards. Boards will be a bit wet, anyway, will lay them down tight to each other, and let any gaps appear as they dry out.

Stew Denton
04-16-2019, 10:17 PM
Well Steven, I hope it's woodworking, because it is about all I get to do when it comes to woodworking.

Currently the project is repairing our fence. I have a bunch of thinned and failing pickets to replace on one section, a stringer in another section that cracked, and another section where I have to replace two stringers. (We had about 8 hours of 50 mph constant wind velocity a while back with 80 mph gusts....messed up some of our fence and two sections on the roof where shingles were blown loose or blown off....about 8 hours of shingling repair.) I have never seen that kind of wind storm before...at least not for a straight 8 hours. Also painting our deck which I repaired last fall.

Hope its woodworking, but I hope to do some real woodworking once the "have to do work" is done. (Somehow it is hard to convince myself that it is woodworking.)

Stew

William Fretwell
04-17-2019, 7:24 AM
Be nice to move the down spout off the porch and into that small corner near it. Can you do that up above? Well I’m sure it’s possible....

steven c newman
04-17-2019, 5:52 PM
Intend to box around the front downspout....deck will just miss the other one at the back...

Nice to have ab excuse to by new toys,,er,,tools...of the 3 frming squares I have on hand...not a one has enough of their markings left, to be of much use..so...:rolleyes:
Mainly to be able to read the markings...as in stair stringer layout....also ( since I lost my last set) picked up a set of these..
I can set the square as needed on the 2x....then set these so I can repeat.....looking like a 4-1/4" by 10"....Have to go from the ground up 18" to the top of the new decking, top step to match the height of the deck boards.

On a side note: After getting blank stares at both Blue Borg, and the Orange Borg about a pushstick for a tablesaw..
$2 at Menard's. Chisel for some "beater jobs" I have coming up...1/4"
Hope I get some rain free weather, next week.....electric drills and rain do not play well together...shocking, I know...
May get a few "rafter" hangers, to attach the stairs to the deck....may go look at a few...

Stew Denton
04-17-2019, 8:01 PM
Steven,

A quick question: Why the blank stares at the Borgs about the table saw push stick.....surely they would have known what it was.....wouldn't they?

Regards,

Stew

steven c newman
04-17-2019, 9:48 PM
LOL...I wouldn't count on it.....they seemed to think I needed to buy the tablesaw, just to get a simple push stick.....they don't even sell featherboards....think about that.

Andrew Seemann
04-18-2019, 12:33 AM
If you do end up using any of your good hand tools on the PT lumber it might be a good idea to clean them off afterwards. That stuff tends to be soaking wet and the preservatives can have lots of loose electrons floating about in them. Definitely not friendly to good steel.

steven c newman
04-18-2019, 8:37 PM
And...looks like I'll be working around rain showers to boot..BTDT....was a carpenter by trade....mainly concrete form work...used to weather problems. I can always go hide in the shop, until a storm blows by...then back out and back to work...Bought a tarp today...to lay on the ground, for the lumber to lay on...and another to lay over the lumber....hardware and tools came come into the house, until called for....Have a "toolbox saw" for working on these types of boards...and circular saw blades are fairly cheap...I can toss one when the project is done, and get a new blade.

may have a few uses for the clamps....mainly pipe clamps...deck boards do like to curve a bit....

Figures...I got rid of my Carpenter's Rig years ago...two nail bags, tape measure holder, belt, and suspenders....used to weigh 50+ pounds when fully loaded....may just use a 5 gal. bucket to haul stuff around...going to be work..but, going to be fun, too.....

stay tuned..:D

Noah Magnuson
04-19-2019, 11:25 AM
I did exactly this several years ago on my previous house. It was a huge improvement. Pretty much the same technique though I tiled the landing in slate instead of fastening wood to the top. Same method of anchoring of joists though.

Rob Luter
04-19-2019, 12:30 PM
Looks good to me. Last weekend I focused on utilitarian pursuits like building a bottom shelf for my bench, rebuilding the underpinnings and handles of my wheelbarrow, and reworking a mortised latch system on a pocket door. Mostly low precision stuff. Right up my alley.

Jim Koepke
04-19-2019, 5:47 PM
Steven,

A quick question: Why the blank stares at the Borgs about the table saw push stick.....surely they would have known what it was.....wouldn't they?

Regards,

Stew

Much of the help in the Borgs do not have a clue as to what is what. My guess is they have no idea what a push stick might be. For me it saves a couple of bucks and aggravation of dealing with the unknowing to make my own push sticks.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out the management doesn't have a clue about the small tools used for safety in a shop. It may be it doesn't fit in their profit per square foot calculations.

jtk

steven c newman
04-20-2019, 3:04 PM
Ok...just picked up a new "rig" at Blue Borg...along with a set of suspenders....plan is to work around the showers, next week...if it starts to rain, I can haul the powertools back inside, and drop the belt full of nails, screws, and carpenter tools inside the house until the rain stops....

Can't do Carpenter work, with a proper carpenters belt, right? keeps toys out of the mud. Delivery is set for between 0800 and 1200 hrs Monday morning. Anyone want to come over and help out?
Took almost 1/2 an hour, to get the suspenders adjusted to where the belt is low enough to use:rolleyes:
When this project finally is completed...I intend to pull a cork..;)
And have a wee nip of..
12 yr auld J&B J.E.T. Scotch....and will share with the help....if they want...

stay tuned :D

steven c newman
04-20-2019, 8:57 PM
I did find a site, that will take the measurements and calculate how to cut the stringers for the stairs one wants to build...I even printed the "plan" out...
This lays out the cuts for the stringers....I'll need to "fudge" things a bit...top of deck is 18" above the ground....calculator will only go down to 20"...hmm inches, divide by 4....instead of 5" rise, I'll set a 4-1/2" rise....for two "old people" with bad knees...The site also makes a plan for the finished steps..
Top step will be flush with the decking....will place handrails on both sides of the steps, and match them into the railings around the deck...

Might take a week to get this done..allowing for the weather...April in Ohio, ya know :rolleyes:

Stay tuned...Lumber arrives Monday morning...work start as so as the truck is unloaded...Pictures as I go?

steven c newman
04-22-2019, 9:49 AM
Spent some time, clearing the work area...
Which included removing the old treated wood tread....3 tapcons...stripped the heads...crowbar to just pull the tread up, off the step and the tapcons...then a hammer to snap the offending screws off...tread will be over in the staging area...
To help keep the "new" wood off the ground...one corner will be a bit easier to do, now..
I can run the joist a bit long, and use a joist hanger to start towards the outside corner....where a 4 x 4 post will be..
Right on that old concrete block. area behind all of this mess..
Used to be over a foot deep in leaves, planters, and just plain junk...racked it all out to bare ground.
Need help to move that planter out of the way....1st joist will go right along this edge of the porch...have even hauled the old B&D Work Mate out of the shop....and a few clamps..

Waiting on the truck, right now....will have to unload it by hand.:rolleyes:...no room for the forklift to get in here....
Stay tuned:D

steven c newman
04-22-2019, 12:02 PM
Lumber and other goodies has arrived! have to sort through the stacks of stuff, and pull out just what I need to get started...AFTER Lunch...

Film @ 2300hrs...I hope...

Gary Cunningham
04-22-2019, 6:51 PM
You’re going to be stubbing your toes on those steps. The rise & tread combined should be 18” or so. With a five inch rise the steps will be awkward.

steven c newman
04-22-2019, 6:57 PM
well...MOST of the lumber arrived...was missing five 4 x 4 x 10' posts....While waiting on Lowes to bring those out to the house..
Sorted through, until I found the parts I was needing to start with...had also cleaned the work area out a bit
Old tread was removed..tapcons were stripped, crowbar to lift the tread up, then snap the blue screws off..
Leaf blower to clean the leaves and dirt away...1st joist...cut for length, cut-off standing in for a post..
Then across the old step, the turn the corner, again..
Then turn the corner again..
About then, the 4 x 4s arrived...10' were cut into 5' lengths...more joists, with hangers....about the time we turned the next corner,
The Boss shows up to keep an eye on things....
Got to about this point...decided 6 hours was just about enough, for one day....put the toys away, tarps over the lumber, blocks onto the tarps...

Sitting here, having a "Cold One" back is sore, knees are creaky, and feet hurt....been a long day...:cool:
Stay tuned, IF it doesn't rain tomorrow..I might actually get something done..:D

Mel Fulks
04-22-2019, 7:23 PM
Steven ,the luxury standard for high quality stairs for a very long time was 5 and 1/2 by 12. But now many think 8 By 9
is "correct". Enjoy your luxury!

steven c newman
04-22-2019, 8:18 PM
Depends on how the old knees like the steps...trying for 4-1/2" x 11-1/2"...only have to go up just under 18"...The Boss has trouble getting over curbs and onto sidewalks...do not think I'll be doing any risers...just treads.

Chris Hachet
04-23-2019, 1:04 PM
I did find a site, that will take the measurements and calculate how to cut the stringers for the stairs one wants to build...I even printed the "plan" out...
This lays out the cuts for the stringers....I'll need to "fudge" things a bit...top of deck is 18" above the ground....calculator will only go down to 20"...hmm inches, divide by 4....instead of 5" rise, I'll set a 4-1/2" rise....for two "old people" with bad knees...The site also makes a plan for the finished steps..
Top step will be flush with the decking....will place handrails on both sides of the steps, and match them into the railings around the deck...

Might take a week to get this done..allowing for the weather...April in Ohio, ya know :rolleyes:

Stay tuned...Lumber arrives Monday morning...work start as so as the truck is unloaded...Pictures as I go?

In for the build...

steven c newman
04-23-2019, 7:38 PM
Better hurry, you are missing out on the Cold Ones....
tasks for today, besides replacing a computer monitor that chose today to go blank screen..:mad::mad::mad:

Got that fixed, got Lunch fixed...then hauled all the toys back outside....had to put in blocking along the front of the porch...one..
and..
Two..hauled the helpers outside, too..
Well, I can't haul the shop's workbench out here...

Blocking installed...knees are aching (had trouble walking two laps in Wallie World..) Started laying deck boards..
Instead of notching the first board, I just cut pieces to fit between the posts...boards are a bit long...built up a pile of short cut-offs..
Wonder IF I could "pave" the sidewalk?
Got about half way across..
Took a Gatorade break...getting very stiff and sore...decided to try to reach the next post..
1830 hrs....quitting time! pick up all the toys, and haul them back in....

Last few planks, needed a tapcon into the concrete porch....then we could pull that plank straight, and secure the other end. Planks are laid down tight to each other, figure they will shrink a bit when they dry out.

Finish the decking tomorrow, weather permitting....then layout some stair stringers...will need to bring up a handsaw to finish those cuts...
Stay tuned...cussing level is about.....day2 at Marine Boot Camp....

Marshall Harrison
04-23-2019, 8:09 PM
I don't know where the "peak" of Ohio is but it sounds like a long ways from Florida so I won't be able to make it. Seems like an interesting project and should help the curb appeal of the house.

Tom M King
04-24-2019, 3:58 PM
I've found that rise and run that totals 17 to 18 inches, as you see often quoted (or at least, something close to that), works fine for rises of 7 to 7-1/2 inches of rise. That leaves a run of 10-1/2 to 11" usually. I have found that as the rise goes down from that, the run needs to get progressively longer, for the steps to walk comfortably. For 4-1/2 inches of rise, I might go to 15 to 16 inches of run, depending on how many steps there are-less for more steps, and longer run for fewer steps.

I know of one set of steps, that rise about nine feet on an old house, that are 6 inches rise, and 11-1/2 inches of run, and they uncomfortable for almost anyone I've seen go up them.

There is another 1810, that we are going to use for donor parts, that has two staircases that are 10 inches of rise, and 8 inches of run. Not only are they uncomfortable to walk, but pretty dangerous.

On our dog porch, I built the steps with 5 inches or rise, to make it easy for puppies, with 13-1/2 inches of run. I've never seen any person that thinks they are anything unusual to walk up, and down, or have to even think about how they walk.

In any case, when any steps are done, every rise should end up exactly the same ( have to figure with whatever the tread thickness is, and the bottom rise will be different than the rest for cutting the stringers, since it will only have to deal with the thickness of one tread), and a straightedge should be able to hit every step nose, including the top one. My main tools for laying out stringers are a framing square, square gauges, and a long level. The long level is to figure out exactly what total rise you have, and to check the finished steps.

steven c newman
04-24-2019, 4:00 PM
Started in about 11:00 this morning...hauled all the toys back out....added a couple "nailers" near that down spout....needed to notch around a post, too
Install this one, and then kept going...tapcons back at the wall,
two at the far end...come back out, clamp the other end in tight...
Then go back and do the second line of tapcons, and then the rest of the wood screws...about here, I ran out of those fancy green painted screws....had a few of my own to use..
Notched the last long 5/4 x 6 board to go around the downspout (will elbow it down..) and added the short sections...decking complete! back is killing me:(
Finally dug out the 2 x 12 for the deck stringers...
One wet and HEAVY bast...., almost too much for one person to get off the ground, and onto the saw horses... brought out the square and gauges...and the plan..and made a few saw cuts..
Hmmm, yes that is a handsaw sitting there...got the rest of the cuts done....test fitted to the deck.....not working...cut the skinny bottom step off...second try?
Much closer...went back and lower the first 2 steps...then the rain started in...haul all the toys...
And get this back out of the raindrops...decided to stop for a while, waiting on the rain to go away..

Need to cut the other 2 stringers to match the final first one....then add a 2x across the back where they attach to the deck joists...then add the treads.. IF the weather allows..1100 to 1500 hrs....4 hours of working by myself....have a pair "Cold Ones" chilling out in the fridge....

Stay tuned...there may be overtime, today:D

Mel Fulks
04-24-2019, 5:47 PM
Tom, one thing I've noticed is that historic houses that are open to tourists often don't let people upstairs. But fine
houses with 5and 1/2 by 12 stairs are usually open. I think the key to finding them comfortable is just walk .Forget about
climbing. People who grow old in a place they like often have to move out of a house with 8/9. It's a mystery to me how
people who want the newest home amenities accept the cheapest stairs as required by code. I think they are owed a
couple of minutes of education .

Tom M King
04-24-2019, 6:26 PM
I quit building new houses in 2007, for various reasons, including today's buyers.

steven c newman
04-24-2019, 6:49 PM
WHERE IS MY PHOTOS????:mad::mad::mad:
try one more..before I ...
Lets see IF this works....

Mel Fulks
04-24-2019, 10:38 PM
Tom, I read all your posts and was not giving you advice. Only saying that you know such things exist and were used.
And that some code minimums are often represented as specific requirements instead of MINIMUM requirements.

steven c newman
04-25-2019, 8:30 AM
What worked out for this porch rebuild..
The Boss, who has trouble stepping onto a sidewalk's curb from a parking place....approved of these steps...as she tried them out....My son and I combine for just over 500 pounds in weight, were both standing on this....

Taking a "Rain Day" today....letting this old body rest up a bit....mid May, I turn 66...

Tom M King
04-25-2019, 9:18 AM
Glad the design worked as intended Steven. There is more thought that goes into good steps than the majority realize.

Mel, I didn't think otherwise-just adding my 2 cents in case anyone gets something out of it.

Marshall Harrison
04-25-2019, 11:12 AM
What worked out for this porch rebuild..
The Boss, who has trouble stepping onto a sidewalk's curb from a parking place....approved of these steps...as she tried them out....My son and I combine for just over 500 pounds in weight, were both standing on this....

Taking a "Rain Day" today....letting this old body rest up a bit....mid May, I turn 66...

I turn 63 on Memorial Day so I get the rain day concept. Injured y back a coupe of weeks ago and I was feeling better the first of this week. Two days now of bending over the table saw and the workbench and I don't feel so good any more. Sucks getting too old to enjoy the things you like to do.

steven c newman
04-25-2019, 2:01 PM
Could barely make the walk to the back of Wallie World, today....knees were creaky, acting like a nail was inside...wasn't. Picked up a pair of saw blades, that might work better than what I had..
Somehow, I doubt IF that old metal cutting blade will work, cutting these
As I have a bunch of these sort of cuts, to get all the posts down to the "bottom of top rail line"...be there all day, knawing away.....Sawzall?
Years ago, I picked this ( with it case and blades) for $10...just needed to replace the blade clamp...rain coming through, today...doubt IF I'll try this beasty out today.

When I went out to the deck today, to lay out all the level lines on the posts...I was dodging sprinkles...bring the level up to a post...more sprinkles...got all the posts marked, and went back inside...and the rain stopped. will see how tomorrow goes, rain-wise...
Stay tuned.:D

steven c newman
04-25-2019, 9:16 PM
Got a break from the showers this evening...decided to give the Makita a try....first post was shaking almost too much...decided to add the top rail for the spindles...to steady the posts..clamped first, then came back and added the 3 screws per post...even laid a 2 x on top...
Turns out that 2 x 6 is too narrow...so, 2 x 8s will get used...the three post in the front were next...this time, both 2 x 4s were installed...and the sawzall to cut a line..
was soaked clear through, and not from rain...Makita was getting warm out front on the grip....was getting dark, anyway...packed the toys up and called it a day

Trying to remember the spacing needed between spindles....thinking it is 2" between each spindle? still have across the back to build a railing at...

If these Monsoons will go away for a couple days, I might get this thing done...

Stay tuned :D

John Isgren
04-26-2019, 6:22 AM

Here is the spacing requirements for the spindles

steven c newman
04-26-2019, 10:27 AM
So...IF I could use a 2 x 4 as a spacer, that would work? 3-1/2" between 2 x 2 square spindles....

IF the Monsoons will just drift elsewhere for a few days....I MIGHT get this job done....even these old knees want the rain to go away...

Finger got poked this morning, Blood-thinner check up.

Tom M King
04-26-2019, 3:51 PM
A spacer never works out exactly right. I step it off with dividers until it works out right. It doesn't really take that long, and probably even faster than trial and error.

steven c newman
04-26-2019, 5:57 PM
Hmmm..
Seems to do okay.....ran out of spindles, was to tired to grab another and bring it over to the porch...
Used up one bundle of the spindles...
So..south side is completed..
So, when it warms up in the morning, all that needs to be done is a handrail ( or two?) for the steps....BTW, Mailcarrier gave them a tryout, today...and liked them.

Details for around that downspout at the back of the porch....
6" structural wood screws hold the bottom rail to the joist under the decking...and a 4 x 4 stubby. Stubby holds the top rails.
Front corner needed to be mitered..
Makes a nice place for potted plants...

Stay tuned..:D

Rob Luter
04-26-2019, 6:47 PM
Hmmm..
Seems to do okay.....ran out of spindles, was to tired to grab another and bring it over to the porch...

Skillfully executed, well crafted, by golly I like it.

Mike Manning
04-26-2019, 9:21 PM
Nice work Steven!

steven c newman
04-28-2019, 7:20 PM
Weather was nasty yesterday...tried out the DeWalt router, with a BIG round-over bit...between rain showers
Well, weather cleared out this afternoon...drag out the toys, including the mitersaw and stand..
Once I found out the angles for the stair railing..
came out to 19 degrees....71 degrees on the scale..
I can cut the 2 x 4 top rail at both ends, install it, mark a 4 x 4 post for height, while it sits on a concrete paver....circular saw to trim the 4 x 4 to match the rail...

Spindles...needed angled at the top to match the rail...back to the mitre saw...spacings are the same as the rest of the spindles..
Got these all installed...decided to use a 5/4 x 6 deck board as the cap rail...
4 x 4 laying on the deck? I beveled all four sides of the top ( think pyramid )stood it up onto a paver, plumbed it up....now have a tall post for the house numbers to go on. had to install solar deck lights...but...a week to complete a deck. Rain days got in the way. the Boss tried the front steps out, using the handrail....LOVED it.

Single Brain Cell Sketch Up did this plan....being called upon again..back porch step needs "something" done....back to the drawing board...

stay tuned, honey-do projects never stop...:D

steven c newman
04-29-2019, 1:25 PM
Well, Punchlist is about completed...So, how about a few photos of the completed project..
The view coming up the sidewalk from the street..
The view from the driveway/alley to the north of the house...
The main reason for this project, was so the Boss could use the front steps, as her knees are worse off than mine...
The view of the back corner, as you walk up the steps...
And the view from the front door....about 6 working days to build...average of 5 hours per day...getting slow in me old age...:rolleyes:

Thanks for following along...:D

steven c newman
04-30-2019, 12:30 PM
back porch has a "step" down that needs to be made safer, and drier....ice tends to cover the existing one....Step is just a 2 x10, sitting on a few cinder blocks..that happen to be sinking into the dirt....

Will get a couple pictures, weather permitting, and the see what the Single Brain Cell Sketch Up does with it....Also need a better place to set the roll-around garbage bin...maybe up level with the top of the back gate...to make it easier to load in the trash bags....oh, and another hand rail for the Boss to use.

stay tuned...Monsoons may end later this week...I hope..

steven c newman
04-30-2019, 1:00 PM
dodging rain drops....but, this is what needs worked on...soon.
As this is the way to where we park the van....may change with the new front porch, but this mess needs fixed...will clear away ..
All of this down to level ground, may add some gravel, too. Stuff that didn't get thrown away, will be thrown out...don't have a trackhoe, so shovels and a wood handle hoe will have to do. White wall is from a garage, that the Landlord has stuffed full of his junk. In the other direction...
Is a window to the old coal bunker room....unused....may stop right at the right edge?
Have enough leftover treated 2 x 8s and 2 x6s to build a "box" frame out from the concrete. Will tap-con to the concrete, and support the outer edges with blocks...depending on how how the replacement step is..may build a lower second step....Handrail will be over by that window...area next to the garage will be a "landing area" for the trash can.

Now...IF the Monsoons will stop for a few days....I might be able to get this done?

steven c newman
05-01-2019, 11:47 AM
Punch List for the front porch.....includes a new screendoor ( old one has too many issues) and a gate, to keep the fleabags from wandering off the front porch. have installed "step lights" so you can see where to step at night.

Forgot to pick up the gravel and the cinder blocks for the back gate. gate itself will get redone....throwing out the green, moldy, junky gate and railing. going with a railing more like the front porch, and the new gate will look just like the new railing...other than the cuts where it separates from the new railing.

I want at least a full day, to replace the existing front screen door with a new solid vinyl door....need to adjust the trim around it, for a decent fit.

Still have the southside of the backporch Gazebo to close off...and, this fall, will add a plywood (1/2" thick) sheathing under the canvass top.

honey-do list seem to grow faster than I can complete each job....

steven c newman
05-01-2019, 5:15 PM
Roh-Kay, Raggy....Had to use a couple hand planes...
To trim back the jamb a bit...
As the jamb had a lot of "waves" to it....now it is straight and flat all the way down the latch side...
have swept away 95% of the shavings...but the new screen door fits!
And last night, I changed out the porch light to a motion sensor light.
Forgot the stone stuff, today...wasn't any room in the van, anyway. maybe tomorrow?

Picked up a "railing" to be made into the gates...may get a second one, and demo the back gate altogether....at least it will match the front.

Having a "Cold One" right now...as I am soaked, and not from rain, for once...

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
05-02-2019, 9:47 PM
First, a bit of site prep....then the demo on Sunday...

Site prep..
All cleaned out....used two hand tools....a rake, and a hoe....wood handled, too...underneath that trash can, there IS a concrete "step"....will use that to rest a joist on...Window has a "well" in front of it..
Will rest another joist on this....Old gate will be torn out...and this to replace it..
This is 72" long. perfect fit as the new railing/gate. 2 saw cuts...to make part of it a swinging gate....that when closed, looks like just a railing. Need to park the van out front, as this spot will be closed for use, while the rebuild is getting done...picked up a few blocks, and a few bags of gravel, today...getting close to starting this little project up...
Stay tuned....BTW, I also need to build a gate for the front porch, to keep the fleabags front walking off...

John Isgren
05-03-2019, 7:51 AM
Steven,

Will that 72” gate be opened often? If so you will need to do something for o keep it from sagging. I have a Somali gate and had to add a wire with a turnbuckle that runs from the high point of the hinge side diagonally to the low point on the other side of the gate. If you are interested I can send a picture when I get home this afternoon.

steven c newman
05-03-2019, 8:22 AM
The "opening" part of the gate will be about 36" or so.

Also, I have to build a gate for the front porch....and have it match the look of the front railing...

Right now..it is pouring down rain....can't even unload the van of the blocks and bags of stones....Rain Day, again...

steven c newman
05-04-2019, 1:25 PM
Yard sale this morning..NADA worth picking up. Checked the radar, had a few hours before the next batch of rain arrives....hauled a few toys out front...
Set up a saw bench...needed 4 pieces of 2 x 4, mitered on the ends ( didn't have time for the Stanley Mitre Box set up) to build a frame..
needs a little adjusting....added the spindles, one screw top and one below...tried a test fit..
Hmmmm. bottom corner, latch side (right side) was a tad sticky, too..hand plane to remove the stickyness...
Turnbuckle to remove the sagginess..Hinges are on the left, gate swings in, latch on the right. needed a bit of clean up, when done..
Shavings..both wood, and from a planter that got in the way....time for a cold one...maybe tomorrow, I can start on the back porch?
Still woodworking....stay tuned..

(gate is to keep the resident fleabags on the porch...if they aren't on the porch, gate can stay opened...)Almost forgot...Tread lights were added the other day..
So you can see where to step...

Jeff Wittrock
05-04-2019, 8:01 PM
Some time back I was looking for some hanger bolts in Menards.
One of the employees walked up and the conversation went like this:

Employee : Can I help you find something?
Me: Well, I'm just trying to find the hanger bolts.
Employee: Hanger bolts? (confused look)
Me: Yeah, they look like a lag bolt only one end is threaded instead of having a hex head.
Employee: uh... What are you trying to hang? (with a straight face)
Me: ... I'll just look around.

steven c newman
05-05-2019, 12:41 PM
This ends this post....as someone else has deleted a bunch of replies I made....then there is that thing about photos in the one post....getting a bit tired of that....

Yes, I am indeed a Contributor.....

Close the gate....
Shut the door....409308

been fun....

Bruce Page
05-05-2019, 4:28 PM
Steven, there have been NO post deletions in this thread.

Is it possible that the missing pictures in post 28 was a glitch on your end? The other 82 attachments uploaded without problems.

steven c newman
05-05-2019, 4:43 PM
Was zero glitch on my end...and this wasn't the first time this has happened to photos I post.....about the 5th time.....yet, I haven't done anything different. Photos are always resized to fit here...every last one of them. Always post the same way....for the last few years.

Missing posts are now back? Where were they this morning?
Test..
New gate for the back of the house...and, when it is closed...
What you will see from the alleyway...

Bruce Page
05-05-2019, 8:06 PM
I don't know what happened to the missing pictures. There's nothing abnormal that I can see on this end.

As I said earlier, there are no staff deleted posts in this thread. No editing of any kind.

Jim Koepke
05-06-2019, 12:47 AM
Bruce, Steven may have been upset about some images in another thread, "How Many Handplanes Do You Have?," that may have gone missing.

jtk

Bruce Page
05-06-2019, 1:45 AM
Jim, I just looked at that thread. There has not been any deleations or editing in it as well.

Jim Koepke
05-06-2019, 10:33 AM
Jim, I just looked at that thread. There has not been any deleations or editing in it as well.

Steven may have thought he posted some that didn't show up. His last post in that thread is the only thing that comes to mind as to why he is upset.

It is post #54:

Would appear that I am not allowed to show some of mine in action....
Fine...will go elsewhere...

jtk

steven c newman
05-06-2019, 7:09 PM
Try this one more time....been a busy 2 days...
back gate has been made..
Yes, there is a gate there...
Took most of Sunday afternoon....demo the old mess, installed the new...picked a turnbuckle up today, a box of screws, 6 spindles, and a pair of 2 x 4 x 8' boards...build a box...
Tap-con to the slab...bit of gravel and some pavers...add the treads..
Dump three more bags of gravel...break a block to make more pavers...build a second box, and add the treads...the add a handrail...
Treads have a bit of "fall", so water will run off at the ends...having a Cold One, right now...may have earned it, today...

steven c newman
05-08-2019, 1:55 PM
Ok...a few details...when the gate is opened..

Note the grain details. When closed up
Even though there is an inch missing, the grain still lines up...and the turnbuckle?
is a rod style. 2 screws at each end....3/8" wrench ( i think) to tighten until the top is level, and free of sag...

Raked out the spot for the trashcan to sit, so it will sit level....added a few bags of "River Pebbles" to provide a base for it...
And cover up them HUGE stones to make walking easier on the feet. Ground slopes away...as we are on a hillside.
Looks a bit better than what used to be here....and is a bit safer to use. And, I still got to do a bit of woodworking, to boot.

steven c newman
05-09-2019, 9:10 PM
Heavy rains came through today......steps stayed fairly dry...and did not get slippery.

Norway Maple in the side yard...is adding "layers" of seeds all over the front porch. Checked the boxed around downspout.....works as designed....no rain water on the deck from it.

Next up? have to close off the south end of the gazebo....and get rid of those old shower curtains Boss was using there...will pick up a 4 x 4 post, after a few yard sales in the morning....right now, I'm having 2 fingers of J&B 12 yr Scotch....

steven c newman
05-14-2019, 7:49 AM
Not a cloud in the sky, this morning.....maybe after 2nd Breakfast, I can cut a 4 x 4 x 8' post down to Gazebo size.....and notch one end....have the notch match the metal frame, maybe.....once both eyes wake up. 1st Breakfast is pills and a Mountain Dew...may go out and renew the tags on the van...that time of year, again..they expire after tomorrow.

Have to save the cut-offs from the 4 x 4....lamp posts. Cut apart at about 19-20 degrees, to match the stair railings. have some longer 2x scraps....will try to build a box for flowers...and add to the stair railing on the back porch...will see how the day goes....

steven c newman
05-14-2019, 11:33 AM
Crosscut..
Laid out for a notch..
Handsaw for the crosscut..didn't do to well as a rip saw....circular saw for the rip cuts.
needed a bit of clean up..
Then install the post..
Plywood panels will enclose this end...post is centered as it will take a couple panels to span 10' wide, by 7' tall.
Once the post was plumb...Gazebo is also being tap-conned to the slab....
Now, about those cut-offs?
One end is 20 degrees...another such mini-post is cut at 19 degrees...
One for the front....the other for the back porch steps railing.

busy morning...stay tuned...

Mike Allen1010
05-14-2019, 6:08 PM
Steven congratulations on successfully completing such a practical and well done project! Entryway stairs, porch, gate etc. something everyone uses every day and I'm sure you and yours will really enjoy using them on a daily basis. Thanks for taking the time to share and working all the pictures.

Can you discard me to try something similar, although I am intimidated because I don't know anything about construction – what are the "tap con" that you mention for attaching wood to concrete? Every time I've ever tried to drill a hole in concrete it's been a disaster - takes forever with lots of effort and in the end isn't something I think I can put a threaded bolt in – any suggestions?

Thanks, Mike

steven c newman
05-14-2019, 6:40 PM
Tap-con is a brand of concrete screw....comes with it's own masonry drill bit. usually takes a hammer drill to drill the hole. Bit is sized to the shank diameter of the screw. You also have to clear out the dust in the hole, first, so the screw will enter the hole.....a hammer type of drill/driver also is used to drive the screw home into the hole.

Used to use these by the pound, when I worked as a carpenter on a concrete form crew. Hammer drill I have been using is from Harbor Freight. Hilti also makes a good drill, but takes a different bit than the one the Tap-cons come with.

Redhead anchor bolts take their own drill and drill bit....you also need to blow out the dust in the hole for these to fit in properly. Package will tell which size drill bit is required.
Unlike tap-cons, the anchor bolts can not be removed, once they are in the hole....either they are cut off, or, just driven on down flush....To insert the anchor bolts, you run the nut all the way to the top of the threads, so you are hammering on the nut, and not the bolt. Protects the end of the threads, that way.

A temporary way to attach to a slab....drill a hole, use a 16 penny spike, and a short length of form wire...set both into the hole, and hammer the spike home...usually on fresh, day old slabs, like footers...where a 2 x 4 base is used to rest wall forms on. Called plates, these allow the forms to be nailed down, and then removed after the walls are poured/placed.

When you next go to the local BORG....go to the hardware section, and ask about either Anchor bolts, or Tap Con screws.

steven c newman
05-18-2019, 2:39 PM
A couple of intrusions in the Dungeon Shop.....first, a BIG rain storm came through this area of Ohio....some places getting almost 6" of rain in just a few hours....washed out a few county roads and a few small bridges....Dungeon Creek was trying to start up....made things a bit damp in the shop.

A new clothes dryer has been installed....getting a bit crowded in the shop.

Have a woodworking item to work on, once the shop dries out. Friend of mine needs a new "Loading" jig made.....old one does not hold a "Navy Colt" well enough to permit reloading it....notch wrong to allow the hammer to rest at half-cock, and the notch for the grip is angled wrong....hinge was done a bit sloppy, too....have all the new parts needed, just waiting on a dry shop.

BTW: West Liberty, OH had 1/2 of the town UNDER WATER....as the Mad River was way over it's banks..by several feet. Lion's Park, the site of the Labor Day Tractor Fest, was also way under water....

steven c newman
05-19-2019, 10:49 AM
Unable to drive screws with my right hand....shakes way too much...left hand is fine? Trying to drive self-driller screws this morning, trying to tighten the Gazebo's top down...Lost half of the screws due to the hand shakes....may take a vacation from doing too much with the right hand.

Got even more parts for the dryer install....now in doubt , due to the shakes...hard to tighten the clamps to the ducting....when you can't hold the drill steady enough to do any good..:mad:

steven c newman
05-20-2019, 10:11 AM
IF the Honey-do items will go away for a couple days....I may get back to the shop. Next big project? Need a new desk for this computer....with MORE drawers to stuff full...