PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 65 or Jet JTAS-10XL

Gayan De Silva
04-11-2019, 7:12 PM
I have an opportunity to purchase either saw. The gentleman with the Powermatic 65 has taken impeccable care of it and recently replaced all the belts. I do worry about the age of the saw, but I have to believe that it will probably outlive me as long as I continue to take care of it. He's asking $1,000 which seems a little high based on various threads I've seen.

The other option is the Jet ($1,100)- also in impeccable condition. Both single phase, 240V. Both with mobile bases, but the Jet has the long extension table.

Seems like a no brainer to me based on age of the saw and the extension table, but Powermatic is local and the Jet is about 160 mile drive one way.

Thanks for your advice - it is always appreciated.

Best,
G. De Silva

Matt Day
04-11-2019, 7:35 PM
The no brainer to me is get the PM, but $1000 is a lot unless it was meticulously restored. I love old machinery but $1000 for a 55+ year old saw is a lot, especially when Unisaw regularly pop up for $4-500 in a lot of parts of the country, though they likely need cleaned up.

The 65 is slightly different from the 66, where the trunnions are spaced woder apart on the 66. I restored a 65 and it’s a great saw that will outlive you and your kids if not abused.

Regarding the extension table, I think that shouldn’t be part of the decision since it’s easy to add.

What’s the HP of each machine?
Where are you located?
Pics?

Gayan De Silva
04-11-2019, 7:41 PM
Thanks for the reply - I agree, the PM is a great saw, but I too felt a 1000 was way over priced for the machine.

PM is 1.5 HP (but on an older motor - seller says it's closer to 3HP by today's standards); Jet is a 3HP machine

I'm in STL, MO

Josh Kocher
04-11-2019, 7:44 PM
How old is the Jet? Riving knife? Is it offshore manufactured?

What fences are on the saws?

Josh Kocher
04-11-2019, 7:58 PM
Didn't see your photos at first...

I like that PM, age isn't a big problem... but the motor cover missing would be a big problem for me... 1.5hp ≠ 3.0hp either.

I have a long fence, rarely need the capacity, so that's a non-issue... tenoning jig, blades, nice enough, but your buying a saw so don't even think about them...

Maybe if he threw in a few of those slabs?

Gayan De Silva
04-11-2019, 7:58 PM
Jet is from 1997, yes to the riving knife, not sure if it's offshore manufactured but I believe this particular model is manufactured in TN.

Factory fence on the JET (Biesemeyer style), Vega fence on the Powermatic, but I have a VerySuperCool Fence system from a prior saw that I would probably swap out.

Gayan De Silva
04-11-2019, 8:03 PM
If the powermatic were priced around 600 I would jump on it in a heartbeat. Just having a hard time justifying the additional cost for a 55 year old machine - should something fail, I don't know what the part availability is (probably none)

Josh Kocher
04-11-2019, 8:09 PM
If it's not offshore, I'd go for that Jet.

Looks like a clean saw. I'm sure they'd take an even offer too.

The PM is very cool, but as you said, price, age... and that missing motor cover is a problem were it me.

Cary Falk
04-11-2019, 8:16 PM
Jet is from 1997, yes to the riving knife, not sure if it's offshore manufactured but I believe this particular model is manufactured in TN.

Factory fence on the JET (Biesemeyer style), Vega fence on the Powermatic, but I have a VerySuperCool Fence system from a prior saw that I would probably swap out.

I am not 100% sure but I thought Jet was always imported. It can't be mentioned without a timeout over at OWWM. I also didn't think Jet had a riving knife that long ago. The Jet is 22 years old. I think both are overpriced.

Josh Kocher
04-11-2019, 8:57 PM
The Jet like like a splitter. No way a riving knife from '97.

Gayan De Silva
04-11-2019, 9:01 PM
You are correct, thank you!

Josh Kocher
04-11-2019, 9:37 PM
If it's offshore at $1100? That's closer to new price for some import saws today...

Matt Day
04-11-2019, 10:22 PM
Agree that 1.5hp does not equal 3 hp, it’s not wine. The motors typically were bigger back in the day, and the larger mass means more momentum which can give a little extra compared to today’s Motors.

The 65 does look well cared for. Parts are generally interchangeable with 66’s, both of which can be found on OWWM and eBay.

If you can’t get the price down on either, pass on both.

I’d rather have a new Grizzly than that Jet for that price.

What part of the country are you from?

Martin Siebert
04-11-2019, 10:31 PM
I don't know what you are using now for a table saw, but I really think that you would be very happy with either one of these. I'd go for the PM. They are fantastic saws and retain a lot of resale value. That said, the Jet is also a nice smooth saw. You have an extended table and fence so again, everything is favoring the PM. Unless they are slap worn right out I don't feel like either one is over priced for what they are. It's been my experience that wood working machines go for a lot more than most people quote or say they should bring. However, the surest way to find one cheap is to buy one of these.....you will trip over an unbelievable deal for one on the way home.

Gayan De Silva
04-11-2019, 10:45 PM
I don't know what you are using now for a table saw, but I really think that you would be very happy with either one of these. I'd go for the PM. They are fantastic saws and retain a lot of resale value. That said, the Jet is also a nice smooth saw. You have an extended table and fence so again, everything is favoring the PM. Unless they are slap worn right out I don't feel like either one is over priced for what they are. It's been my experience that wood working machines go for a lot more than most people quote or say they should bring. However, the surest way to find one cheap is to buy one of these.....you will trip over an unbelievable deal for one on the way home.

Using a Bosch Contractor saw, so either of these would be a big upgrade. Thanks for the reply!

Gayan De Silva
04-11-2019, 10:47 PM
I'm in St. Louis, MO. I believe that Grizzly has a showroom in Springfield, MO (about 3.5 hour drive) from me.

David Kumm
04-11-2019, 11:51 PM
Jet has always been imported. They bought Powermatic and slowly closed down any US manufacturing and moved it to Taiwan. The Jet was a decent hobby saw of the time. Both are priced a little high but any new saw of lesser build is in the 2500-3000 range now so still a savings. Age is irrelevant, condition is everything. Now if either were a PM 72 at those prices, life would be good. Dave

Dan Hall
04-11-2019, 11:59 PM
A horse and a half repulsion induction motor will have quite a bit more starting torque than a cap start motor. Once either one is up to speed it's close to a draw. The RI motors make a bit more noise than a cap start. Still, you'll need a new fence on that 65. I would still rather have it than the jet though.

<edit>. That fence on the PM looks like a hokey setup to me. Buy the Jet.

J. Greg Jones
04-12-2019, 5:29 AM
I’ve had the same Jet for 12 years now-it’s a very nice saw. Imported as others have mentioned. It looks like it also comes with a HTC roller out feed table? I have that as well and that’s $400 new today. The folks at Shark Guard offer a nice manual adjust riving knife for that saw if you don’t like the stock blade guard and splitter.

Jim Becker
04-12-2019, 9:15 AM
I had the Jet prior to buying my slider. It was a great cabinet saw. Unless the PM comes down in price a bit, of the two, I'd opt for the newer Jet despite the field trip required to pick it up. But even that can be made to be "fun" with a little pre-planning.

Gayan De Silva
04-12-2019, 1:00 PM
Thanks for all the advice - decided not to pursue either saw.

There is a 7.5HP Unisaw beast for 1600 that is pretty close to me, but it's 3 PH - looking up whether or not a VFD or static phase convertor would be worth it. It's in immaculate condition

Cary Falk
04-12-2019, 1:16 PM

There is a 7.5HP Unisaw beast for 1600 that is pretty close to me, but it's 3 PH - looking up whether or not a VFD or static phase convertor would be worth it. It's in immaculate condition

That's odd(7.5hp Uni), are you sure it is not a Delta 12/14? I just look at your CL. There is a Uni for $250 and a PM66 for $400. I didn't see any saws you were talking about.

Gayan De Silva
04-12-2019, 1:23 PM
All of the saws I was referring to were on Facebook Marketplace, which I have found to be a little richer in inventory than Craigslist. Here is the saw I am referring to:

Chris Hachet
04-12-2019, 2:25 PM

You would need a big VFD or Rotary phase converter for that. My friend bought a 7.5 HP VFD for about 750 or so....

Chris Hachet
04-12-2019, 2:27 PM
I have an opportunity to purchase either saw. The gentleman with the Powermatic 65 has taken impeccable care of it and recently replaced all the belts. I do worry about the age of the saw, but I have to believe that it will probably outlive me as long as I continue to take care of it. He's asking $1,000 which seems a little high based on various threads I've seen.

The other option is the Jet ($1,100)- also in impeccable condition. Both single phase, 240V. Both with mobile bases, but the Jet has the long extension table.

Seems like a no brainer to me based on age of the saw and the extension table, but Powermatic is local and the Jet is about 160 mile drive one way.

Thanks for your advice - it is always appreciated.

Best,
G. De Silva

Either saw is cheaper than the 2-3000 a similar saw would cost new....but both are probably more like 700-800 real world resale value at best.

Griz 1023 if you could afford it would be new and 3 HP.

Matt Day
04-12-2019, 4:34 PM
I don’t believe there’s ever been a 7.5hp motor in a Unisaw. The motors have unique tabs that attach to the arbor bracket, so not like someone could just pop any old motor on (without a modifying plate). That’s likely a typo.

How about this Poitras?
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/d/saint-louis-poitras-industrial-12/6835733632.html

Ray Frederick
04-13-2019, 8:06 PM
I have a Powermatic 65 and use it everyday in my shop (small 3 man shop). We had the motor repairedby the local Mennonite motor shop for about $100 when it wore out(bearings replaced and armature cleaned up). Belts were cheap and it is easy to work on and use. Mine was missing the motor cover but I have never got around to finding one. The cast iron extension tables for it if you can find them are great. Was going to replace the fence with a Biesemeyer but honestly the tube jet lock fence it came with has been fine.

Replacement motors were easy to locate and not much online.

Ours is a 2hp 230v single phase motor , it is just fine for all solid wood we throw at it and sheet goods. Might prefer a bit more power for long Corian rips but a lot of that is blade dependent.

Ben Zara
04-14-2019, 2:57 PM
If it doesn't have a riving knife I would leave it alone and buy a new grizzly if you are on a budget.

andy bessette
04-14-2019, 3:22 PM
I would not hesitate to buy the Powermatic. Way better than jet. Unless you have 3 phase power, avoid 3 phase.

Derek Arita
04-14-2019, 6:27 PM
I've had 3 66s and a Jet. I had issues with all 3 66s, but the Jet was dead on once adjusted and stayed that way. I wouldn't hesitate on the Jet. With the PM, I'd go over with a fine tooth comb...check all tolerances and make sure everything holds true as the trunion raises the blade.

J. Greg Jones
04-14-2019, 7:35 PM
I would not hesitate to buy the Powermatic. Way better than jet. Unless you have 3 phase power, avoid 3 phase.
Just because I’m curious, at some point you had both the PM 65 and a Jet JTAS? What was it about the PM that made it way better than the Jet?

andy bessette
04-14-2019, 9:55 PM
...you had both the PM 65 and a Jet...?

No, I have 2 Unisaws. I have owned Powermatic jointer and mortising machine and consider PM head and shoulders above Jet, which I feel is an inferior import.

Matt Day
04-14-2019, 10:18 PM
So you’ve never had any direct experience with Jet, and have never had a PM 65, yet hands down you’d get the PM and the Jet is crap. Interesting logic.

Would have been better to just say that you prefer old American machinery.

andy bessette
04-14-2019, 10:51 PM
So you’ve never had any direct experience with Jet, and have never had a PM 65, yet hands down you’d get the PM and the Jet is crap. Interesting logic.

Thankfully none of us are required to clear our posts with you before posting.

J. Greg Jones
04-15-2019, 5:18 AM
No, I have 2 Unisaws. I have owned Powermatic jointer and mortising machine and consider PM head and shoulders above Jet, which I feel is an inferior import.
So you have never owned a PM or a Jet table saw, and apparently you have never owned a Jet machine of any kind? It is curious why you would feel qualified to make a recommendation give you have no more experience with the tools in question than the person asking for a recommendation?

andy bessette
04-15-2019, 9:46 AM
So you have never owned a PM or a Jet table saw, and apparently you have never owned a Jet machine of any kind? It is curious why you would feel qualified to make a recommendation give you have no more experience with the tools in question than the person asking for a recommendation?

A career in design engineering and 40+ years as a professional woodworker and owner/operator of woodworking machinery (I have 4 table saws), qualify me to have an opinion and give a recommendation. Along with having owned Powermatic and imported machinery, as well as many other brands, and having examined (and rejected some) Jet machinery. Additionally it should be common knowledge to anyone with internet access, and a curiosity regarding woodworking machinery, that Jet is a brand whose reputation lies in the shadow of Powermatic. I don't need to own a Yugo to recommend that someone avoid them.

On the other hand you might find someone who just got into woodworking as a hobby, bought a Jet table saw, and claims it has done everything asked of it. Though he might even provide a glowing recommendation, he has little or no experience with woodworking machinery, in general, and none with other brands as a comparison.

Chris Hachet
04-15-2019, 10:39 AM

A lot of us do, actually.

Matt Day
04-15-2019, 12:00 PM
A lot of us do, actually.

I know, i’m One of them. Doesn’t mean everyone is and ruling out the Jet just because it’s made overseas might not be in the OP’s best interest.

Derek Arita
04-15-2019, 12:01 PM
So, as a previous owner of the Jet, I can say that it was one of the best table saws I've ever owned. Specifically, the table was flat to .002", extension tables were easy to flush up and were also flat to the rest of the table, miter slots were true to one another and adjusted easily to be parallel with the blade. Trunion operated very smoothly and stayed in adjustment throughout the travel and tilt. The fence was also easily aligned to the blade and to my recollection, there was no burning on cut edges. It was a great saw at a great price.
Why did I sell it? At the time, the 66 was the saw to have, so when I could afford it, I sold the Jet and bought a 66. I was very disappointed with the fit and finish of the 66. The extension table's webbing was not nearly as substantial as the Jet's and they were both concave at the center. The table was way out of flat and no matter what I did, I couldn't get it adjusted close to flat. Miter slots were not parallel and no amount of adjustment could fix that. Raising and lowering the blade was not smooth and blade alignment would change as the blade was raised and tilted. I ended up returning that saw for another 66, with the same results. I suspected and bad lot of 66s from that retailer, so I returned that 2nd 66 and purchased a 3rd from a different retailer only have similar issues. After about a year of dealing with poor cuts, the PM2000 had been on the market with great reviews. Having had a great experience with the Jet and being told by PM that the 2000 was made in the same place, to tight tolerances, I purchased the PM2000 and have been happy with it ever since. I found it to be every bit as good as the Jet and far above the 66s that I owned.
I don't doubt that the 66 is built like a tank and would be a workhorse year after year. I also believe that the Baldor motor would do the same. Not being a production shop, I'm sure the PM2000's motor will last my lifetime, as would the Jet.

Jim Becker
04-15-2019, 1:49 PM
So, as a previous owner of the Jet, I can say that it was one of the best table saws I've ever owned.
Ditto. Mine was an incredibly good machine. If I didn't get the bug for the slider, I'd still be using the Jet.

Chris Hachet
04-15-2019, 2:35 PM
Ditto. Mine was an incredibly good machine. If I didn't get the bug for the slider, I'd still be using the Jet.

An awful lot of it is how well it is dialed in and tuned up. I have used plenty of good Asian machines.

Chris Hachet
04-15-2019, 2:38 PM
I know, i’m One of them. Doesn’t mean everyone is and ruling out the Jet just because it’s made overseas might not be in the OP’s best interest.

Condition of the machine would be a huge determination point for me. My only issue is that the fair market value of a decent cabinet saw seems closer to eight hundred rather than 100 on the used market, at least around here. My advice to the OP would be to reconcile themselves to the fact that they might resell the machine for a few hundred less than they bought it for if they purchased it.

And then I would advise they trust their gut feeling and not look back.

Personally, I would prefer the Powermatic. Actually for 1100 I would look for an Oliver 270 or 232....but not everyone wants to work with an ancient three phase machine that weighs that much...

1100 would buy a decent Powermatic 72...

Does not mean buying a clean ready to go machine for 1100 is a bad idea....using a machine for a decade and then selling it for 300 less is $30 a year to use it. I can't even buy dinner with one of my kids for thirty bucks...

andy bessette
04-15-2019, 2:42 PM
...bought a 66. I was very disappointed with the fit and finish of the 66. The extension table's webbing was not nearly as substantial as the Jet's and they were both concave at the center. The table was way out of flat and no matter what I did, I couldn't get it adjusted close to flat. Miter slots were not parallel and no amount of adjustment could fix that. Raising and lowering the blade was not smooth and blade alignment would change as the blade was raised and tilted. I ended up returning that saw for another 66, with the same results. I suspected and bad lot of 66s from that retailer, so I returned that 2nd 66 and purchased a 3rd from a different retailer only have similar issues...

Shoulda bought a Jet. :)

J. Greg Jones
04-15-2019, 6:03 PM
A career in design engineering and 40+ years as a professional woodworker and owner/operator of woodworking machinery (I have 4 table saws), qualify me to have an opinion and give a recommendation. Along with having owned Powermatic and imported machinery, as well as many other brands, and having examined (and rejected some) Jet machinery. Additionally it should be common knowledge to anyone with internet access, and a curiosity regarding woodworking machinery, that Jet is a brand whose reputation lies in the shadow of Powermatic. I don't need to own a Yugo to recommend that someone avoid them.

On the other hand you might find someone who just got into woodworking as a hobby, bought a Jet table saw, and claims it has done everything asked of it. Though he might even provide a glowing recommendation, he has little or no experience with woodworking machinery, in general, and none with other brands as a comparison.
Well, actually if you have never had any experience with a particular machine, I really cannot fathom how you could make any recommendation against any machine. Likewise, if you feel that 40 years as a woodworker puts you at the pinnacle of expertise, then let me say that you still have a long way to go. I just love it when someone says I’ve done this and I own that, but that that alone should qualify me as an authority on everything. But at the end of the day, they still have zero personal experience with a Powermatic or a Jet table saw.

Gayan De Silva
04-16-2019, 9:57 PM
Just to add some some more food for thought - this machine just popped up on my local CL. Thoughts?

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/d/greenfield-delta-10-unisaw/6868021723.html

andy bessette
04-16-2019, 10:04 PM
Unisaws are excellent. So are the Beismeyer fences.

Chris Hachet
04-17-2019, 9:43 AM
Unisaws are excellent. So are the Beismeyer fences.

I would be all over that...seriously. I have a 3 HP Uni and it will handle everything I throw at it.

Jim Becker
04-17-2019, 11:43 AM
Just to add some some more food for thought - this machine just popped up on my local CL. Thoughts?

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/d/greenfield-delta-10-unisaw/6868021723.html
Also a great saw...very similar to the Jet.

Gayan De Silva
04-17-2019, 12:27 PM
Anyone know if the cast iron top (does it have wings?) is detachable from the cabinet? Only way it’ll fit into my basement.

lee cox
04-17-2019, 12:43 PM
If you are asking about the Unisaw then yes the wings detach. In fact I took my Unisaw apart to move it by myself when I bought it. I took the 2 wings off. I took the motor out. With the saw apart I was able to move each part by myself. It would be easy to move in your basement. If you are real strong then you might be able to move the top as a whole piece. I am not that strong so I took the top apart.

PS
If it is not clear the complete top was removed for me to move the Unisaw.

Matt Day
04-17-2019, 12:57 PM
To be clear, the entire top removes with 4 (or 5) bolts, not just the wings. You’ll likely want to give it a tune up and alignment, so it makes sense to take it off.

Don’t bother removing the motor unless you plan to go through it and check/replace bearings. Without the top the saw is easy to move with a hand truck. Lower the motor and tilt it to get the CoG as low as you can.

Jim Becker
04-17-2019, 4:37 PM
If the actual saw top is removed from a cabinet saw, it's critical to be sure that any shims (they look like washers, but are very precise in thickness) at the mounting bolts are preserved and identified so they go back in the same place. Even so, careful attention to alignment should then be taken when the top is re-installed. Ideally, you don't want to remove the top if you can avoid it...more people to help is a better solution, IMHO. Removing the wings, fence system...even the motor...no problem.

Cary Falk
04-17-2019, 7:07 PM
I agree. Remove the wings and motor. It becomes very manageable with on e person and a 2 wheel dolly.

Matt Day
04-17-2019, 7:58 PM
Different strokes for different folks I guess, or maybe I’m just lucky in the shin department. I’ve restored 3 cabinet saws and owned a total of 5 and have never seen a shim.

Matt Day
04-17-2019, 8:00 PM
I agree. Remove the wings and motor. It becomes very manageable with on e person and a 2 wheel dolly.

Have you really bumped a TS with a top down the stairs by yourself? You are either a lot stronger than I or worry less about loosing it down the steps, or both. I assume basement = stairs.

Cary Falk
04-17-2019, 9:07 PM
Have you really bumped a TS with a top down the stairs by yourself? You are either a lot stronger than I or worry less about loosing it down the steps, or both. I assume basement = stairs.

I don't know if I am stronger then you or not. I probably worry less about it then you though because I have moved some pretty big stuff by myself. It seems like all my heavy stuff moves upstairs. Down stairs would be a blessing.:D A unisaw cabinet, trunnion and top weighs maybe 250-300 lbs? I moved one in and out of a pickup bed.

andy bessette
04-17-2019, 9:45 PM
Also a great saw...very similar to the Jet.

They both have a top and a blade. :) Similar only if the Unisaw was made in Asia. The troubles I have found with Asian imports are, besides overall lower levels of workmanship, items such as motors and motor controls are second rate and can be expected to fail early.

lee cox
04-17-2019, 11:48 PM
Different strokes for different folks I guess, or maybe I’m just lucky in the shin department. I’ve restored 3 cabinet saws and owned a total of 5 and have never seen a shim.

There were no shims with my Unisaw. I have a 3 hp old Baldor motor in my Unisaw. It was a lot easier to remove the motor and top loading it in my big pickup truck.

Cary Falk
04-18-2019, 8:00 AM
They both have a top and a blade. :) Similar only if the Unisaw was made in Asia. The troubles I have found with Asian imports are, besides overall lower levels of workmanship, items such as motors and motor controls are second rate and can be expected to fail early.

That may have been true 20 years ago it is not so much anymore. It also varies from tool to tool. There is nothing magical about a Uni. Why are soo many broken and need parts? I had one and restored it. It needed parts. I sold it and bought an import and couldn't be more happier. I also have a" Gold standard" Powermatic 1200 drill press that I restored. The fit and finish was so bad that it looked like a 3 year old put it together and panted it after assembled. To each his own.

Jim Becker
04-18-2019, 8:58 AM
Sorry, Andy...I have to respectfully disagree. I've owned both Delta and Jet, for example, and there was no "lower level of workmanship" nor low quality motors and controls. Yes, there are absolutely poorly made imports but that's not universal. All of the machines that the OP has asked about are quality products, IMHO.