PDA

View Full Version : Bates Booth Coating

William A Johnston
04-10-2019, 7:54 PM
I ordered a can of Bates Booth Coating. I've never used the product but it caught my interest that I could spray it on my pipe clamps to help me scrape off the excess glue.

I must admit I tend to use too must Titebond when I'm doing a glue up.

Has anyone used this product and could you give me the good, bad and the ugly about it?

Or if you have other products that work or any tricks to keep the pipe clean.

Bill

johnny means
04-10-2019, 9:07 PM
Paste wax is cheap and works.

Dan Rude
04-10-2019, 9:46 PM
I just bought a can of this from Woodcraft, have not used it but hoping it works. Someone mentioned it on one of the Forums. I just saw this video on YouTube https://mwawoodworks.com/how-to-clean-your-parallel-clamps/ He has a neat jig that probably would cost about what the can of Bates was in Materials and Vinegar. Kings fine Woodworking also has a good video on how he cleans and what he uses in his shop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrLz3la4rpo Dan

J.R. Rutter
04-11-2019, 12:56 PM
I use it on my RF press. I use a small paint roller and pan to apply it, and prefer to let some evaporate in the pan to more of a creamy waxy consistency before smearing it around. Otherwise, probably best to let it dry before giving it a light wipe.

Bill Dufour
04-11-2019, 11:59 PM
They use spray starch as an anti graffiti coating on buildings in the west. It washes off in the rainy season so it lasts 9 months or so outside.
Bil lD

Charles Lent
04-13-2019, 8:32 AM
Johnson's Paste Wax works fine for me. You also should learn from experience how much glue is too much and cut back on your glue use. A little wipe up is normal, but cleaning up a huge mess is an indication of way too much glue. I use a wet paper towel to remove the run or two that I get.

On inside corners I use the end of a plastic soda straw. When pressed into the corner it forms to the corner shape. I then just slide it along the corner and the excess glue is collected inside the straw. I just snip off the glued portion of the straw and then do the next corner. If it's the last corner I just toss the remainder of the straw. Wendys has great straws for this, but you can buy boxes of unwrapped similar straws in any grocery store. Wendys is just my frequent take-out lunch source, since one is located only about 1 mile from my shop.

Charley

William A Johnston
04-13-2019, 10:15 AM
I'm going to try all the above as I got the Bates in yesterday. I do have some paste wax that I never opened so I'm going to try it also

Charley you are 100% correct about using too much glue. Sometimes more is not better. I'll work on my gluing technique to try and come up with the perfect amount.

Thanks for all the replies. This is exactly why I always come to Sawmill Creek and am a contributor to the forum.

Bill

Charles Lent
04-14-2019, 7:17 AM
I can go through a can of Johnson's Paste Wax about once per year. This isn't the only good use for it.

I lubricate the ways and gears of my table saw, and the ways of my band saw. It lubricates well and develops a dry crust that does not attract saw dust like petroleum lube does.

I wax the tables and rub surfaces (tables, fences, etc.) of all of my tools to make my work pieces slide easier, and also to prevent rust on the cast iron tops. I do this several times a month or whenever the work doesn't seem to slide easily. I've never had a problem with the wax affecting the final finishing, I think mostly because everything gets sanded after cutting so the surface is clean before stain and finish is applied. Don't ever use anything containing silicone because it will cause all kinds of finishing problems. Silicone, and anything that contains it, is banned from my shop.

I wax my scroll saw tables every time that I'm about to begin using them, so the work slides easily.

Charley

William A Johnston
04-14-2019, 7:47 AM
Charley,

After the responses I think I have been missing the boat on the paste wax. I have been using "Top Coat" on my saw, jointer, planer and bandsaw. Sounds like the paste wax will do just as good of a job and probably cheaper. I am like you I don't use any silicone in my shop. Its a home shop so I do have some spray silicone in my lean too area which is what I use for car storage ect...

I have had that can of paste wax for I don't know how many years and I honestly can think of why I purchased it. But moving forward I am going to try it on my bar clamps as well as waxing my table tops and other areas like you have mentioned.

Bill