PDA

View Full Version : Inlaying a sticker

Zac wingert
04-10-2019, 5:32 PM
LOML asked me to build a key rack for her office where other workers hang keys for the company vehicle. It’s made out of 4/4 poplar with 1/2 walnut dowels at a 30 degree angle. She wants a sticker of the company logo on the poplar and she said just stick to the wood before applying finish. The finish will be spray can spar uretahne left over from another project. I’m more or less set on the spar urethane because it’s left over from another project, the dowels are already glued in and applying anything by brush or pad will be way to much work, and I don’t think linseed oil or other wise will provide enough protection as 26 sets of keys with keychains etc will be used on it daily.

She said just just slap it together it doesn’t have to be nice. This is being done for free, including I will not be reimbursed for even the materials. So I don’t want to get too complicated or spend anymore money. But the woodworker in me knows many people will see it and use it and I want to do a good job.

so how to apply the sticker nicely? If I sand the sicker itself with 800 grit will the finish stick? Will the thing just peel off after if I just stick it on and spray over? Will it help if I chisel out and inlay the sticker before applying g finish? Or just put the sticker after the finish? Any thoughts? Thank you

Matt Day
04-10-2019, 5:52 PM
Why not Just finish the project completely and then apply the sticker? Don’t overthink it. There’s no “inlay” here.

Lee Schierer
04-10-2019, 9:02 PM
Glue your logo on and then use your spray finish.

johnny means
04-10-2019, 9:04 PM
Print a paper copy, then decoupage it on.

Richard Coers
04-10-2019, 10:27 PM
Do a couple of samples. The spray could melt the sticker, the ink, or wick under the edge and soften the adhesive. Most poly will also yellow over time and could really change on top of the sticker.

Bradley Gray
04-10-2019, 11:02 PM
I used a t-shirt transfer once to put a logo on a podium. Looked like a wood burning.