PDA

View Full Version : Color marking with a Q-switched fiber laser on PMAG

Zach Haag
04-10-2019, 1:25 PM
Interesting video I was sent by a customer today.

I am guessing this is achieved by adjusting settings outside of your normal Speed, Power, Freq?

This is the video I was sent, he also has another one showing white/blue.

https://youtu.be/9asjnazx8UU

Trevor HinzeNE
04-10-2019, 1:42 PM
That is fascinating, I went to youtube and watched his other video that is a reply to this one. He claims to do it to a brand new mag out of the bag and in the video it sure looks that way but down below in the comments it got a bit more interesting. I see that below when someone asked him for his settings, which he would not share and I dont blame him a bit but he mentions something pretty telling. He says this is "not pure laser" and then says that white was applied and some reaction took place. None of that makes sense to me but I have owned a fiber laser for exactly 1 day at this point. If what he is doing is indeed possible it certainly opens up some huge potential for magazine designs but at this point I have a healthy sense of skepticism. Thanks for sharing, most interesting thing I have seen today!

Darren Wilson
04-16-2019, 11:18 PM
Smoke and Mirrors... Mags are Painted then top layer lasered away to reveal undercoat.

Trevor HinzeNE
04-16-2019, 11:25 PM
I tend to agree with the above assessment. Still cool, just wish he wasnt misleading.

John Lifer
04-17-2019, 10:56 AM
I tend to agree with the above assessment. Still cool, just wish he wasnt misleading.

Yep, as noted in his comments, he called it 'color filled' and denied only editing the video. Yes, painted red, overpainted and cut through. That is why he went over it several times to cut through the paint.
If you notice color bleaching, you get most of that in one pass if you do it right. You AIN'T going to change a PLASTIC mag to a different color other than BLEACHING out the colorant. Sorry.

Kev Williams
04-17-2019, 1:10 PM
Concur. Section off portions to set hatch/power/speed/freq at different rates, and you can get vastly different results--

Zach Haag
04-17-2019, 8:18 PM
I figured that was the case, I have ran across a couple posts from him in FB groups and he comes off as a complete douche.

Awesome work on that 1911 Kev!

David Gray
04-20-2019, 8:37 PM
This is my first try at coloured engraving ive found i can get most colours , I have a 60 watt JPT and after owning it for over 2 years I just worked out its a mopa based fibre !!!! 408332 coloured engraving is do able but its finicky and time consuming . I think without doubt its an edge !!!