View Full Version : What is the goop this guy is using?

Michael Costa
04-10-2019, 3:45 AM
At 1:38 of this video, what is the black goop he is using. I keep thinking grout because of the sponge wipe down.

https://youtu.be/qnzyOq09jrA

Clint Baxter
04-10-2019, 5:13 AM
Appears to be an epoxy grout. A normal grout for tile wouldn’t work as well as the epoxy types in this application.

Clint

William Hodge
04-10-2019, 7:08 AM
This was scarier than watching stunt cuts go wrong on a table saw.

All I could think of was that his wife was going to walk in and see him using that Black Goop Of Death next to the white couch, and mash his face into it.

Nice table. Would buy it for Rec Room.

Charles Lent
04-10-2019, 10:25 AM
You are off by 1 minute. The black stuff begins at 2:38 and looks like black tile grout to me. I doubt that it is epoxy based because he wiped the excess off with a sponge and what looked like a bucket of water, the same method used when grouting with normal materials. After drying, he did cover the entire table top with clear epoxy. making the surface smooth, shiny, and moisture resistant. I think the thin set glue that he glued the bottle caps down with has enough flex to allow the wood to move some with moisture changes without cracking the grout or epoxy top coating.

Charley

Michael Costa
04-10-2019, 1:00 PM
You are off by 1 minute. The black stuff begins at 2:38 and looks like black tile grout to me. I doubt that it is epoxy based because he wiped the excess off with a sponge and what looked like a bucket of water, the same method used when grouting with normal materials. After drying, he did cover the entire table top with clear epoxy. making the surface smooth, shiny, and moisture resistant. I think the thin set glue that he glued the bottle caps down with has enough flex to allow the wood to move some with moisture changes without cracking the grout or epoxy top coating.

Charley

If I'm only off be a minute I'm doing good. Most days I'm off a whole day. :rolleyes:

Frank Pratt
04-10-2019, 5:20 PM
I doubt very much that it's epoxy grout. The stuff is expensive & is a bugger to work with. It does clean up with water though.

Lee Schierer
04-10-2019, 9:07 PM
I doubt very much that it's epoxy grout. The stuff is expensive & is a bugger to work with. It does clean up with water though.

I used epoxy grout on our kitchen back splash. It worked about the same as regular grout as long as you didn't mix too much at a time or wait too long to clean it off the faces. It did clean up nicely with water. It is completely stain proof.

Frank Pratt
04-10-2019, 10:06 PM
I used epoxy grout on our kitchen back splash. It worked about the same as regular grout as long as you didn't mix too much at a time or wait too long to clean it off the faces. It did clean up nicely with water. It is completely stain proof.

I suppose on a small project it wouldn't be too bad, but on a large area, things can get away on you. If all the haze isn't cleaned off in time, it's very difficult to remove after.